Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 04:37 PM

713 posts, read 759,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I agree. By their logic because there was a shoot out several years ago in West Hartford Center, that is an unsafe area. Jay
But WHC doesn't have shady people walking around or shady cars driving through or homeless people using the hartford library as a shelter, or the countless Bad asses on Main street waiting for the buses to go back to the Ghetto.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2013, 04:41 PM

713 posts, read 759,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
That is called "using common sense" and that advice is applicable in ANY urban area, not just Hartford. As a female, will I walk through a desolate parking garage (like the Morgan St garage 2 am on a Monday) by myself? Hells no. Would I walk by myself at night down a street with life and businesses open (let say Pratt Street on a Thursday night, as I did recently)? Absolutely.

You may feel better keeping yourself in the suburban bubble but as pointed out above, crime happens everywhere (including W Hartford center). Use common sense and don't let paranoia stop you from enjoying the area in which you live. There are a lot of great restaurants and bars in downtown Hartford (and other areas, but we will keep this downtown-specific). You should check them out.
What ever, I know hartford inside and out. I know a lot of people, people who actually work in the heart of downtown hartford that shares my view.

I already said it, people from my company and other companies have gotten robbed, while out to lunch.
My co-worker simply got approached by one of these shady people and first ask for money, when my co-worker said no, the thug just pull out a knife and said "give me your fuvking money"

Old 03-06-2013, 06:25 PM

79 posts, read 122,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wma152 View Post
What ever, I know hartford inside and out. I know a lot of people, people who actually work in the heart of downtown hartford that shares my view.

I already said it, people from my company and other companies have gotten robbed, while out to lunch.
My co-worker simply got approached by one of these shady people and first ask for money, when my co-worker said no, the thug just pull out a knife and said "give me your fuvking money"
I'll have to agree with what you're saying. A good chunk of my childhood was spent on the Broad St./Park St. corner (during the 90's). My father was a pastor for a small church there. I've seen my fair share of drug addicts, dealers, prostitutes, and other shady people. Last summer I was driving around the North End and felt extremely uncomfortable (ex: people walking in the middle of the street while I was trying to drive [which is a common thing to do when someone is thinking about robbing you], I got plenty of dirty looks too).

My point? Both of these neighborhoods are within a mile of downtown Hartford. Other larger cities have the advantage of distance when it comes to downtown and shady areas. For instance, you won't see too many crackheads in Time Square...but go up to Harlem, and they're everywhere. But that's a good 5-7 miles apart.

Perception is reality. It doesn't really matter what the numbers say. In a nutshell: the reason people don't live in downtown hartford is cause of the very close vicinity to some run down areas. I promise you, if these areas didn't exist, and were nice neighborhoods, Downtown Hartford would be thriving.

Old 03-06-2013, 07:16 PM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuriel View Post
For instance, you won't see too many crackheads in Time Square...but go up to Harlem, and they're everywhere. But that's a good 5-7 miles apart.
You must be young and not remember Times Square before it was "Disneyfied". Lots of drugs and panhandlers right in the middle of the theater district. It was not a pretty sight. Jay

Old 03-06-2013, 07:22 PM

2,496 posts, read 4,720,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuriel View Post
Last summer I was driving around the North End and felt extremely uncomfortable (ex: people walking in the middle of the street while I was trying to drive [which is a common thing to do when someone is thinking about robbing you], I got plenty of dirty looks too).
And why would you want to roam that area during the dog days of summer? What good could come of it?

People walking the street aimlessly happens everywhere. I see it all the time driving on Blue Hills Avenue on my way to work, and they don't even acknowledge that you're there. I find it more rude than intimidating. Besides, I see this in plenty of "upscale" areas in WH center - only it's being done by soccer moms and self-absorbed Snooki types who are bitching on their phones because they ran outof shopping money at Lulumelon - that's scary enough.

Last edited by MikefromCT; 03-06-2013 at 08:31 PM..

Old 03-06-2013, 08:14 PM

79 posts, read 122,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
You must be young and not remember Times Square before it was "Disneyfied". Lots of drugs and panhandlers right in the middle of the theater district. It was not a pretty sight. Jay
You just made my point for me. It wasn't desirable to live in that area at the time nor was there many tourist. Downtown Hartford and it's surrounding neighborhoods are close to being that bad, but when someone has great options, like the towns around Hartford, what reason's do they have to live in Hartford?

Old 03-08-2013, 05:15 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,943,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydez View Post
Downtown Hartford would be a great place to live except for a few problems. You NEED a car in Hartford and not every building offers parking. There is no place downtown for a resident to go grocery shopping. You need to drive outside the City to find a decent, safe, grocery store. There are also few places to get gas for the car you need. I know there is gas down by the hospital, up Farmington ave, and over by the state buildings, but where downtown?

The biggest problem Hartford has though is rent prices. 5 years ago I went, for hahas to look at an apartment on Main street. It was a studio in a nice building.... but the rent was $1300 a month!

There are very few professionals who get paid enough money working in Hartford to afford rent like that on their own.
Exactly. Also factor in the property taxes on your car which will be outrageous. Unless you really really want to live in Downtown Hartford, I don't think most people will put up with the expense and hassle. Especially when you can live in a town like West Hartford for the same price or less.

Old 03-08-2013, 05:34 AM

228 posts, read 264,250 times
I grew up north of Hartford and the trips into the city with my family are some of my fondest family memories. My parents both grew up there and my Grandmother still lives there. We would go to the Whaler games and eat out at various restaurants, and I dreamed about living there when was older. In my college years, my friends and I hung out there frequently, and would be shocked when some popular places were quiet on weekend nights. That's when I started to realize that there weren't many young people living in Hartford. That was in the 90s and it appears to still be the case. Hartford has so much potential and it saddens me to see it struggling to attract people.

Old 03-08-2013, 07:49 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,420,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wma152 View Post

I also "actually" work in Hartford and still don't agree with you. Neither do the scores of people I work with who go out walking every day at lunch time around downtown (including me if I am not travelling), not to mention most of the walkers from my office are middle aged women from the suburbs! I've worked here for 5 years and have never heard of an attack during the work day, nor is anyone I know within my company scared to go out to dinner or happy hour in Hartford when night falls. I am not saying crime never happens, as people get robbed in every urban area and it can happen at any time. I still think you are displaying the typical sheltered person from the suburbs mentality.

Old 03-08-2013, 10:22 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,800,839 times
West Hartford Center and downtown Hartford are not comparable. One is a smaller 1st-tier city/suburb and the other is the capitol city, headquarters of Fortune 500 companies, and major place of employment.

As far as a city goes it is relatively safe. Crime can happen anywhere. However, you need to exercise a greater degree of caution anytime you are in a place with a much larger volume of people, cars, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut