Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 07:31 PM

22 posts, read 55,876 times

Advertisements

MetLife To Consolidate Operations, Move 2,600 Workers To North Carolina, In $126 Million Investment | Insurance Capital

Quote:
MetLife will consolidate operations and shift jobs to North Carolina, where it will build two new campuses, in a move aimed at saving hundreds of millions of dollars by 2016.
Jobs will be slashed in Bloomfield — the number was not disclosed — and other MetLife locations around the country to move 2,600 positions to Charlotte and Cary, N.C. It’s an investment of $125.5 million.

A spokesman for the nation’s largest life insurer said the transition will happen over years.
“This is a multi-year relocation plan,” said MetLife spokesman John Calagna. “So, I don’t have a number to share with you at this point regarding the number of positions in Bloomfield impacted.”
Calagna confirmed that MetLife is closing its offices in Lowell, Mass., Somerset, N.J., and Aliso Viejo, Calif., and the company will be reducing its workforce and its footprint in Bloomfield, Boston, Irvine, Calif., Johnstown, Pa., and Warwick, R.I.
MetLife, officially called the Metropolitan Life Insurance Company of New York, said last year it was looking to cut $600 million in expenses by 2016.
I work for MetLife and will be relocating to NC as part of the move.

Surprisingly everyone at the office was very enthusiastic about the news and I hate to sound like a snot but it really isn't that surprising. People were looking forward to the lower cost of living and more manageable tax bill. NC is also talking about eliminating the state income tax something CT would never think of. Taxes are a big reason why Met Life chose to exit the north east in favor of NC.

With Malloy increasing the budget 10% over 2 years, increasing taxes has destroyed any competetiveness CT once had. More companies will move out and the state will be like an empty shell that collapses under its own weight of taxes and government regulations.

In my opinion this path to liberal destruction was solidified the last election when democrats won every single seat up for a vote.

Well its been fun CT! I will remember the good times we've had over the years. Unfortunately your future doesn't look too bright and that's a little sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2013, 07:57 PM

1,195 posts, read 1,626,612 times
Don't worry. Continued white collar relocation to North Carolina will drive up cost of living there just fine. And enjoy your enormous HoA fees.

Old 03-07-2013, 08:17 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times
Is it entire departments being shifted, or on a case by case basis? Courant did break their NC plans weeks ago, but have you any idea yet the percentage of the CT workforce being moved?

Old 03-07-2013, 08:43 PM

79 posts, read 122,948 times
I lived in NC for a few years when I was in the military. Not a bad place, just lacking in any sort of culture.

Old 03-07-2013, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by basehead617 View Post
Don't worry. Continued white collar relocation to North Carolina will drive up cost of living there just fine. And enjoy your enormous HoA fees.
Well North Carolina is run by Republicans so things are going in the opposite direction. They want to cut the state income tax rate to zero...

For growth's sake, cut state income tax - South Bend Tribune

And taxes are dirt cheap, there is lots of land and housing will continue to be cheap as well. The city grew at about 25% over the last decade.

Not all houses have HOA dues either, just the ones that offer some kind of amenities.

I'll definitely enjoy the low taxes and cost of living, you can stick with the dictator Malloy's planned economy of buses to nowhere 2 billion dollar engineering campus and ever increasing state spending.

Old 03-07-2013, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Is it entire departments being shifted, or on a case by case basis? Courant did break their NC plans weeks ago, but have you any idea yet the percentage of the CT workforce being moved?
I don't know specifics but from talking to people around the office it was probably like 90%.

Old 03-07-2013, 08:57 PM

720 posts, read 1,709,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by basehead617 View Post
St. James Plantation in Brunswick county, very upscale, very beautiful,basic monthly fees are below $60.00 month with a pool and bathhouse on the ocean, several golf courses, 3 country clubs (memberships optional) tennis, etc. plus the care of common areas, garbage, security, activities, marina, etc. .

My daughter, in CT, $200.00 a month, nada. No comparison.

Old 03-07-2013, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaytonSailor View Post
I don't know specifics but from talking to people around the office it was probably like 90%.
Incredible; wire stories reported it will take until 2015, so I am not surprised the scope is so large.

Old 03-08-2013, 03:35 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,264,301 times
I know people love to sh*t on 'blue' states losing jobs but what's happening is more along the lines of what a WSJ article from a few days ago pointed out in regards to California.

Allysia Finley: The Reverse-Joads of California - WSJ.com

I'm surprised most operations of insurances companies haven't moved to places like NC earlier (I included P&C insurers in this).

However CT can and should still attract hedge funds, high finance, media work, etc.

It isn't the best but that's what's happening...prestigious and well-paying jobs, a hollowing out in the middle, and low paying service jobs to cater to those in the first group.

Old 03-08-2013, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufc1878 View Post
I know people love to sh*t on 'blue' states losing jobs but what's happening is more along the lines of what a WSJ article from a few days ago pointed out in regards to California.
What is happening is, via the internet, location is not of the utmost importance for the vast majority of jobs, and corps are recognizing their value, making states bid for the right to host them.

Courant comments from Met Life staff indicated the battle was truly NC vs st. Louis-no doubt the 2 high bidders.

Last edited by bobtn; 03-08-2013 at 05:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut