Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 06:16 PM

11,265 posts, read 18,806,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
It would be a lot easier to get to Jersey though.
From Danbury area to Jersey, right? Not from Fairfield to Jersey. If so, that's my point, it's kind of win-win
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2013, 06:18 PM

21,586 posts, read 31,077,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
From Danbury area to Jersey, right? Not from Fairfield to Jersey. If so, that's my point, it's kind of win-win
Yes, sorry I misread your post.

Old 03-11-2013, 06:22 PM

856 posts, read 2,010,342 times
I used to visit my old employer's office in NJ on occasion. You can go metro north, cross from gct to penn to NJT. If you have a co-worker pick you up or leave a $600 car parked at the station it might be better than trying to drive.

Old 03-11-2013, 07:58 PM

13 posts, read 24,042 times
Interesting idea, but I think that would be like 4 hours each way. I'd do for an occasional visit, but wouldn't want to try it every day.

Old 03-12-2013, 06:18 AM

34,804 posts, read 56,687,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by umagumm View Post
Wife landed permanent high paying job in central ct. We're moving the whole family there and she can't be far from her job (Fairfield is about the furthest). While this is going on, I was asked to work on a one year project Northern New Jersey. I don't have to take this job but it would be good for my career. I can handle 90-120 min commutes for a year ( lots of satellite radio) but if it's often 3 hrs each way I should just forget it.
I assume that your permanent job is in Manhattan. Is that correct? Are you already living in Fairfield?

It sounds as if you need a place to live that would be close to Cheshire, commutable to Manhattan and possibly driveable to NJ. The problem with Fairfield is it is not easily driveable to Montville unless you leave very early and come home very late. The trip is about 80 miles which would take at least 90 minutes without traffic. You would have to deal with problem traffic heading into Stamford, then traffic around White Plains and traffic in NJ itself. You are looking at a 2 hour drive easily.

Cheshire is about 115 miles from Montville and the most direct and easiest route is I-84 to I-684 to I-287. The Newtown-Bethel area would be less than 45 minutes to Cheshire and under two hours to Montville. The only problem is that commuting into Manhattan would not be fun. Ridgefield would be about an hour to Cheshire, provide a somewhat easy commute to Manhattan and be under a 2 hour drive to Montville. You may want to consider it as a place to look for a home. Jay

Old 03-12-2013, 10:46 AM

13 posts, read 24,042 times
You guessed right, I do currently work in Manhattan. I'm looking to work a year in Montville, before working for myself in Connecticut. Basically I need to survive just one year of commuting to Montville while staying within 45 min of Cheshire (the closer the better). My first guess was Fairfield. At about 82 miles, the fantasy is that I could get up early enough so that I could do the drive in 90 minutes at least half of the time and under two hours the rest of the time. However, people here have reminded me that I would still have a challenging time home and suggested, as you did, Newtown area. Newtown is around 92 miles from where I'd be working. That's an extra 10 miles, but probably well worth it. I'm thinking that I can leave Newtown by 6:30 AM and arrive pretty reliably at work by 8:15, certainly by 8:30. I'll also ask for a special rate on a hotel and stay overnight 2x a week.
Thanks so much to those who responded. That was not an obvious answer to a New Yorker. You probably saved me a world of pain on the Merritt.

Old 03-12-2013, 10:57 AM

21,586 posts, read 31,077,766 times
So you'll be doing a stint in NJ, then work from home after that? Definitely consider the towns along 84 then. Newtown is a beautiful town, though more rural than what you might be used to. The commute for your other half wouldn't be too bad at all.

Old 03-12-2013, 11:37 AM

34,804 posts, read 56,687,351 times
Staying over two nights a week is a good idea. See if your employer will allow you to work extra hours on those days and then leave early on others.

If you are certain that you will not need to be within commuting distance of Manhattan then I do think Newtown would be a good choice. Keep in mind however that Newtown is not a large town like Fairfield so it might take some getting use to to live there. Major shopping and entertainment will mean driving to Danbury. This comes as a shock to some New Yorkers who have not ventured far from Manhattan's birght lights. Good luck, Jay

Old 03-13-2013, 07:22 AM

29 posts, read 41,940 times
Newtown is a great option as is Ridgefield, though may be more expensive than Newtown and also be little longer commute to Cheshire since have to go through Danbury. Neither town is far from each other, so if you lived in Newtown, you can go out in Ridgefield, etc and vice versa (Newtown does have some nice restaurants as well and a great rec department). Danbury has fantastic shopping so you should be able to find anything and everything there and it's not far from either town.

If looking in Ridgefield, just be aware of the flight patterns from Danbury airport on the north side of town... was an issue when we were looking few years ago, as there was talk of expanding service, though that may have changed since then. Realtor may be aware of the latest on that though. Also, for times you have to go into the city, we learned that many Ridgefield residents took train from Katonah, NY to NYC instead of CT side since it goes direct into GCT (Harlem line, I think?) and they didn't have to switch trains once they were on.

Old 03-13-2013, 11:12 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,934,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Staying over two nights a week is a good idea. See if your employer will allow you to work extra hours on those days and then leave early on others.
The above made we wonder-would your employer let you work remotely one day per week/every two weeks, perhaps?

If so, you would go from hotel 4 nights per 2 weeks, drive 6 days, to drive 4 or 5 days per 2 week cycle depending on whether they let you do it one time per week, or once every two weeks even.

6 times every 2 weeks for a year = 144 round trips (assumes 2 wks vacation, 2 wks holidays)

5 times/2 weeks cuts out 24 round trips.

4 times/2 weeks cuts out 48 round trips.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut