Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 05:06 PM

21,790 posts, read 28,153,161 times

Advertisements

Looks like the project in Mass died too:

Plymouth Rock Studios - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Enough film/TV people live in CT. Too bad the state doesn't do more to push it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2013, 05:13 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,882,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
They all seem to. There was a proposal for the Army Engine Plant(Avco/Textron) in Stratford that also turned out to be a smoke and mirrors deal like in Preston.
I found a small article about the fallout on this proposal: Securities fraud charged against Natera’s Area 51/Hollywood East - Financial Mines

Old 03-12-2013, 05:18 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,265,257 times
bridgewater is going to build a new hq in stamford and increase headcount. would love to work there.

Old 03-12-2013, 05:27 PM

21,638 posts, read 31,262,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mufc1878 View Post
bridgewater is going to build a new hq in stamford and increase headcount. would love to work there.
Yeah but the vast majority of people won't move to the area since they already live here. That's similar to Starwood. They moved from over the border, so people just commuted a little further.

Old 03-12-2013, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Yeah but the vast majority of people won't move to the area since they already live here. That's similar to Starwood. They moved from over the border, so people just commuted a little further.
I bet a lot of their employees aren't happy about it, especially ones that lived in Westport or points east and north. It's going to be a much longer commute for them.

Old 03-12-2013, 05:35 PM

21,638 posts, read 31,262,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
I bet a lot of their employees aren't happy about it, especially ones that lived in Westport or points east and north. It's going to be a much longer commute for them.
Yeah. My friend's husband works there and commutes from Shelton and is not happy about the move. It's kind of a jab on the middle class folks who live north of Westport. Most of the senior managers who work at Bridgewater are likely applauding the move. It's closer to their homes in Greenwich!

Old 03-13-2013, 10:52 AM

837 posts, read 2,085,480 times
I have friends who work at Bridgewater and many of them are required to stay super late (e.g. 7pm/8pm). That somewhat negates the traffic issue, but the extra commute distance is a huge slap in the face -- especially since many are used to the Merritt commute but would now have to transition to an I-95 commute. That is easily an extra 10-15 minutes from their current location in Westport without traffic.

Old 03-13-2013, 11:04 AM

837 posts, read 2,085,480 times
Glass half full: On the brighter side, at least a financially healthy company is STAYING in Connecticut. Much like the MetLife controversy from the other thread, Bridgewater is getting a huge kickback from the State. Between them wanting to grow PLUS a ton of free (taxpayer) money from CT, it would be nearly illogical for them to decline such a proposal.

Quote:
In another noteworthy detail, the applications state the building will be able to accommodate 3,500 people and 3,000 cars. It suggests the company will have the potential to expand well beyond 2,000 employees, one of the benchmarks Malloy officials have set for Bridgewater to receive as much as $115 million worth of state aid.
In some ways, this proposal is the lesser of two evils. Use taxpayer money to keep/increase job possibilities for CT residents (and NY residents too - I realize that). It's better than having the state pay out on Unemployment/Welfare and starving the state even further.

Old 03-13-2013, 11:51 AM

2,639 posts, read 7,440,019 times
I heard a 600 employee hedge fund is moving to the some of the space at the Matrix Center here in Danbury.

Old 03-13-2013, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comp625 View Post
Glass half full: On the brighter side, at least a financially healthy company is STAYING in Connecticut. Much like the MetLife controversy from the other thread, Bridgewater is getting a huge kickback from the State. Between them wanting to grow PLUS a ton of free (taxpayer) money from CT, it would be nearly illogical for them to decline such a proposal.

In some ways, this proposal is the lesser of two evils. Use taxpayer money to keep/increase job possibilities for CT residents (and NY residents too - I realize that). It's better than having the state pay out on Unemployment/Welfare and starving the state even further.
Using our taxpayer funds to move more businesses to an area where commuting/traffic is already a huge problem doesn't make a lot of sense to me. But what do I know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut