Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 04:23 PM

10,091 posts, read 14,965,663 times

Advertisements

I think jjbradleynyc confused the Trump Parc with the Ritz Carlton/luxury apartment twin towers that were going to be built on Atlantic and Tresser. The Rich family has a stake in both projects (actually, most of the highrises in the city, especially the office buildings, were built by the Rich family -such a fitting name for that family, lol-.) They are a very influential family in the city, UConn even named the concourse at their Stamford Campus after this family, although I think they donated a significant amount that made it possible for UConn Stamford to be built at the old Bloomingdale site.

I also heard that the St. John's buildings (the ugly round buildings near The Government Center) are slated for demolition. They were being evacuated a few months ago, but don't know what has stalled the project. Considering all the construction of new residential projects all over downtown, the economic downturn is probably not the reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2013, 05:15 PM

190 posts, read 471,479 times
Thats great news, those are an eyesore. As messed up as it sounds, if they want DT Stamford to live up to its potential, they do need to eliminate things like those subsidized housings in the heart of DT, they bring some sketchy characters to the area.

Old 03-16-2013, 10:51 AM

284 posts, read 534,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tops1234 View Post
Thats great news, those are an eyesore. As messed up as it sounds, if they want DT Stamford to live up to its potential, they do need to eliminate things like those subsidized housings in the heart of DT, they bring some sketchy characters to the area.
I could not agree more. As non PC as it sounds, it's the truth!

Old 03-31-2013, 10:53 PM

10,091 posts, read 14,965,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio84 View Post
A Ritz Carlton hotel, a luxury residential building, and the post office will be converted to a restaurant. This project has been slow, but as far as I know its still in the works. The developers and the city's zoning board have not seen eye-to-eye on the scale of the project.
Remember when I said that? Scratch it!

This is what's now proposed for the area:

425 Atlantic Street, Stamford, CT, 06901 - Street Retail Property for Lease on LoopNet.com

I actually think the new design is much better than this (the original plans):

Checkout time for downtown hotel and condo project - StamfordAdvocate

Or this:

Checkout time for downtown hotel and condo project - StamfordAdvocate

Old 04-01-2013, 08:31 AM

When will this start??

Old 04-02-2013, 12:36 PM

Any thoughts as to whether all this development (not to mention all the development at Harbor Point) will improve Stamford as far as making it a more family-friendly city? It seems like a lot of young people flee Stamford to the suburbs when they purchase houses, start families, etc. I'm sure a huge component of this is the foul schools of Stamford, but I think a part of it is also that a lot of Stamford has a grimy, ghettoish (for lack of a better word) feel. These areas are not necessarily unsafe, but they certainly don't look like the kind of place where a lot of families want to plant roots. Any thoughts on whether that aspect of Stamford life will improve in the future?

Old 04-02-2013, 02:20 PM

Doubt it....can't think of any cities Stamford's size that have great schools. With cities come city problems

Old 04-02-2013, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tops1234 View Post
Doubt it....can't think of any cities Stamford's size that have great schools. With cities come city problems
Right, but my point was that it seems like Stamford has issue beyond just the schools...the general feeling of sketchiness that exists throughout town and the high population of sketchy people roaming around downtown (especially in front of the McDonalds and the library).

Old 04-02-2013, 02:46 PM

21,752 posts, read 28,086,032 times
You sound unfamiliar with Stamford. The majority of it isn't sketchy. All cities have this element, and Stamford is no worse and in most cases much better.

Old 04-02-2013, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
You sound unfamiliar with Stamford. The majority of it isn't sketchy. All cities have this element, and Stamford is no worse and in most cases much better.
I'm actually very familiar with Stamford. I realize that North Stamford doens't have this element, but I was talking about the parts of Stamford that make Stamford feel like a city (aka: the urban downtown).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut