Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 10:21 PM

2 posts, read 5,369 times

Advertisements

How bad is Norwich really? I am moving to Groton soon as well and we are looking for a 4br house to rent. Most of the places that are showing up are in Norwich. However I have always been told if you want to stay out of the "Ghetto" stay away from there and New London. I have 3 younger kids with one in elementary school. It also looks like my wife will be working at Crystal Mall. I think that's the name. The one across the river. Anyway, if Norwich isn't the best place for us I would love to know! I will be working at the sub base so a quick commute for both of us would be great but I don't want to risk our safety at the same time. Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2008, 05:35 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,017,296 times
Norwich is not 'bad'- its an old New England mill town, that has some nice neighborhoods with fine old homes, many from the Victorian period. The town has a gritty edge to it, having a strong blue collar working class Irish 'tint'. The downtown is a bit run down, but in recent years has seen money flow in for new development. The schools are average- but the Norwich Free Academy has won raves from many. Some of the towns classic Victorian and older homes reflect the towns wealth from the past.

Groton has more of a military edge to it- with a fairly large Navy population-the US Sub base is in town, also Electric Boat. The giant international drug manufacturer Pfizer has added to the towns wealth however. Groton still is not IMO as pleasant or as charming as Norwich. The West 'Mystic' section, not far from Pfizer has seen new residential development of upscale homes, apartments and condos. Norwich is a far better place to live then New London.

Last edited by skytrekker; 02-27-2008 at 05:49 AM..

Old 02-27-2008, 10:01 AM

2 posts, read 5,360 times
Default schools search

If you are trying to compare schools, check out the website: [url=http://www.greatschools.net]GreatSchools.net[/url]. So far, the best elementary schools I've been able to find are in Niantic. We are also considering a move to Groton, and I am in the early stages of checking out schools. This has been pretty helpful, because it includes personal comments from parents who've had their kids in the local schools. It also compares test scores.

Old 02-27-2008, 10:06 AM

2 posts, read 5,360 times
Default trying to find/compare elementary schools

We are also considering a move to Pfizer. I've been doing some early research about schools, and so far, one of the best comparison sources I've found has been [url=http://www.greatschools.net]GreatSchools.net[/url]. They seem to suggest the best elementary schools are in Niantic. Need to look into that further, and would appreciate any local person's comments about what it's like to live there. Thanks!

Old 02-27-2008, 11:17 AM

2 posts, read 5,369 times
Thanks you two! I have never seen a response that quick ever in a forum like this.

Old 02-27-2008, 11:23 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
I do not think I agree with greatschools.com info. I have seen schools rated well there that I know are not great and vise versa. Below is a connection to the strategic profiles of schools and school systems from the State Department of Education. A lot of good information. Check it out. Jay

Strategic School Profiles by District

Strategic School Profiles by School

Old 02-27-2008, 01:40 PM

32 posts, read 116,277 times
If you have a job offer/relocation offer from Pfizer, you should have 30 days of access to the IMPACT Group consultants. They have access to a proprietary database of school information, and will provide you with all the reports you want. They do all the research for you. I have found them to be a great resource and they have saved me a lot of time.
We are buying a house in Ledyard - we could get more house for our money there than in Mystic.

Norwich does have a more gritty feel to it. We looked at one house there - the house itself was very nice but you had to go through a not-so-nice neighborhood to get there.

Old 03-04-2008, 12:12 PM

62 posts, read 218,936 times
May also want to consider East Lyme, Old Lyme and possibly Old Saybrook (but that may be too long a commute to Pfizer).

Old 03-10-2008, 11:23 AM

1 posts, read 2,609 times
This forum has provided some great information for relocating to Groton. Can someone indicate the best towns for a younger couple? We are interested in knowing the most clean, lively, convenient, educated, and upscale areas. Perhaps something near shopping, dining, etc. Specific condos or apartment complexes would also be helpful. A reasonable commute time to the Groton base is also important.

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut