Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 01:09 PM

51 posts, read 97,739 times

Advertisements

Anything I should I know? Cheap good places to live? What's there to do in the area? It seems it's pretty expensive to live in stratford but bridgeport is a bit cheaper. I got a job offer at sikorsky. Probably just looking for 1bed/bath. Contract job will be paying 27/hr. I'm a single male.

This is where the company is located at:

Last edited by exzacklyright; 03-21-2013 at 01:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 01:12 PM

21,755 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Bridgeport isn't really much cheaper rent-wise for COMPARABLE areas. Keep in mind the majority of Stratford is nice and safe, and some areas of Bridgeport are downright horrible. What's your rent budget?

As far as things to do in the area, there are plenty. What are you looking for specifically?

Old 03-21-2013, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Bridgeport isn't really much cheaper rent-wise for COMPARABLE areas. Keep in mind the majority of Stratford is nice and safe, and some areas of Bridgeport are downright horrible. What's your rent budget?

As far as things to do in the area, there are plenty. What are you looking for specifically?
Well I would ideally want a place 600-800 a month. From my research I guess there are a lot of mixed opinions about bridgeport. I guess blackrock, north end, and brooklawn are the nicer parts. It's just on zillow, the cheapest I could find was $800 in stratford and it didn't look too great.

Old 03-21-2013, 01:29 PM

1,607 posts, read 3,090,847 times
that is a tough budget for that part of CT, or anywhere in CT for that matter, but especially down in Fairfield county or western New Haven. Roommate a possibility?

Old 03-21-2013, 01:34 PM

I actually just realized the company is located more north than I thought so not sure how prices would change that north. I wouldnt' mind a roommate actually.

Old 03-21-2013, 01:35 PM

163 posts, read 240,594 times
I would look in Stratford or Trumbull. You may end up in a studio for the amount though. I would be really careful with Bridgeport but I don't know it well enough to recommend specific areas.

Old 03-21-2013, 02:03 PM

21,755 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Again, what are you looking for? Quiet, nightlife, beaches, woods, schools?

I would go with a roommate. For a single male, I'd stick to Black Rock or Milford, preferably downtown Milford.

Old 03-21-2013, 02:38 PM

547 posts, read 774,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Again, what are you looking for? Quiet, nightlife, beaches, woods, schools?

I would go with a roommate. For a single male, I'd stick to Black Rock or Milford, preferably downtown Milford.
I've lived in DT Milford...highly recommended, although I wasn't single, the nightlife is fun esp in the summer. The problem is the rent around that area is pretty high unless you find a place that you can have roommates. You can find places there that is not advertised if you drive around the neighborhood.

Old 03-21-2013, 02:44 PM

453 posts, read 1,535,963 times
For that budget you could probably do Ansonia, Derby or Shelton if you're no frills. If you're willing to up your budget a little bit then you could probably get a really decent place in Stratford or Milford. I know my husband's old coworker was paying $650 a month in Naugatuck, but that is further north.

Use a RE agent, up here the LL pays the fee. We looked at couple of 2br apts that were in the 1100-1500 range that were pretty decent so I would imagine there would be some stuff in the $800ish range but it's not going to be anything fancy. In Stratford, just stay out of the South End, Lordship is good though.

I think if you want to remain close to Sikorsky, if you can up your budget to 1K you'll find a lot more

Also, the fine folks here pointed me towards Raveis to search rentals Find a home in CT

Old 03-21-2013, 02:45 PM

720 posts, read 1,709,513 times
How long is the job for? DH has worked at Sikorsky 34 years, we've lived in Naugatuck and currently in Beacon Falls---very commutable via rt 8 and the Valley has cheaper rents. New Haven for nightlife, or, as stated, Milford, which is a really great town if it's in your budget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut