Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 03:37 PM

11,295 posts, read 18,882,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
From what friends have told me, there aren't as many Bridgeport kids in Fairfield schools, possibly because Fairfield monitors new enrollments more closely than Trumbull. I've heard only glowing reports of Fairfield schools.
Having done some work with Trumbull schools and having friends who have worked for both Trumbull and Fairfield I can tell you that your assessment pretty much has it. And that the two schools where it happens the most are Trumbull High and Frenchtown Elementary (the latter because it's right on the Bpt border). Doesn't happen so much with the other elementary schools nor Madison or Hillcrest middle schools for some reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2013, 06:18 PM

34,924 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kam384 View Post
I did hear there was a real problem with Trumbull High. That is why I wanted to have opinions of people who send their kids there.
Why are you so concerned if there are a few kids from Bridgeport who have snuck into Trumbull high School? While I know it is illegal, it is not like there are hundreds. If anything it is just a couple.

This is a problem that many affluent towns with good schools face (Greenwich and Darien with Stamford; Westrport Darien New Canaan and Wilton with Norwalk, etc.) but this does not really impact the quality of education your child will receive there. Trumbull has very good schools and most kids get an excellent education there. Worry more about finding a nice home that fits your needs in your price range. JMHO, Jay

Old 03-24-2013, 06:28 PM

11,295 posts, read 18,882,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Why are you so concerned if there are a few kids from Bridgeport who have snuck into Trumbull high School? While I know it is illegal, it is not like there are hundreds. If anything it is just a couple.

This is a problem that many affluent towns with good schools face (Greenwich and Darien with Stamford; Westrport Darien New Canaan and Wilton with Norwalk, etc.) but this does not really impact the quality of education your child will receive there. Trumbull has very good schools and most kids get an excellent education there. Worry more about finding a nice home that fits your needs in your price range. JMHO, Jay
Agreed, truth be told, from what I've seen, Trumbull HS is still much better than many "urban" high schools I've been to.

Old 03-24-2013, 06:50 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post

There is not a problem with Norwalk students sneaking into Westport or Wilton, trust me. For some reason, the Bridgeport influence in Trumbull schools is huge.

Old 03-25-2013, 02:17 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,134,556 times
Here's one better--About 50 students from Bridgeport are enrolled in Westport Schools. (The Horror! The Horror!) I don't think the reputation of the school system here has suffered.

It's called the Open Choice program. When I went to Staples it was called "Project Concern." Instead of calling them "spill over" we simply considered them students. The majority white population (as exists in Trumbull) didn't start dressing "urban" and the school song wasn't translated in to rap.

I would be much less concerned with these few students and much more concerned with finding a town and school system that is a good match for you.

Old 03-25-2013, 04:26 PM

12 posts, read 17,051 times
I appreciate all the feedback. After talking to my husband, the determining factor is really the commute, it's just too much. I would barely see my daughter during the week. So, we'll look into Fairfield.

Old 03-25-2013, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Here's one better--About 50 students from Bridgeport are enrolled in Westport Schools. (The Horror! The Horror!) I don't think the reputation of the school system here has suffered.

It's called the Open Choice program. When I went to Staples it was called "Project Concern." Instead of calling them "spill over" we simply considered them students. The majority white population (as exists in Trumbull) didn't start dressing "urban" and the school song wasn't translated in to rap.

I would be much less concerned with these few students and much more concerned with finding a town and school system that is a good match for you.
Something similar with New Haven/Amity High School. And guess what? The first year they did it, half of the out of town students were arrested and/or kicked out for drug dealing.

Yeah. The horror.

Last edited by kidyankee764; 03-25-2013 at 04:36 PM..

Old 03-25-2013, 04:34 PM

12 posts, read 17,051 times
Thank you Kidyankee.

Old 03-25-2013, 06:02 PM

3,350 posts, read 4,167,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Something similar with New Haven/Amity High School. And guess what? The first year they did it, half of the out of town students were arrested and/or kicked out for drug dealing.

Yeah. The horror.

Kid: I remember hearing this but could not find an article on the web. Could you forward a link?

Old 03-25-2013, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
Kid: I remember hearing this but could not find an article on the web. Could you forward a link?
I never read an article on it. I'm aware of it from sources that I have in Woodbridge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut