Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2016, 11:19 AM

9,909 posts, read 7,691,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Mianus River Park in Stamford, CT. Air temp 53-57°. The River is 20 miles long trail from Westchester County through Fairfield dumping into the Long Island Sound. Probably the simplest and most plain hike I've done but was nice as any Fall
I like this!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2016, 12:06 PM

83,502 posts, read 75,252,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I love this thread! I got addicted to the Branford Land Trust trails when I lived here in 2012. I ran them frequently and always seemed to find trails I'd never been on. The Trolley Trail at the Shoreline in Branford is a nice easy popular stroll.

Now I'm in Clinton and there are so many trails nearby it's crazy. Every time I go for a drive I see more areas I'd love to explore. I love CT. It's one of the most beautiful states I've ever been to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
You just inspired me to take a hike. I only go on hikes when the heat and humidity is low and today looks great. Never did the Trolley Trail. Going to check it out today.
Cool! Let us know how it goes. Be interested in hearing. And yeah, Connecticut is awesome also due to the fact that you can go from the coast to the MA border within 2 hours so you can find so many trails within the state without travelling far.. only thing that sucks is that there are no big mountains nearby. None in MA either although Greylock is fun. If you guys want to travel and get a great view with the family you can drive to the top or hike it.

Old 03-15-2016, 11:17 AM

Looking to change up places I hike. Going to look through the CT walking books I have. However, looking for a good 3 to 4 mile hike with wood's in the Eastern side of the state. Any idea's? Never hiked East of the River, only a few beach hikes. Appreciate the feedback.

Old 03-15-2016, 01:44 PM

503 posts, read 530,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Looking to change up places I hike. Going to look through the CT walking books I have. However, looking for a good 3 to 4 mile hike with wood's in the Eastern side of the state. Any idea's? Never hiked East of the River, only a few beach hikes. Appreciate the feedback.
I've really enjoyed Bigelow Hollow State Park. They have many nice hiking trails and a beautiful lake.

Bigelow Hollow State Park - Hiking - Union, CT - Reviews - Photos - Yelp
http://www.ct.gov/deep/lib/deep/stat...s/big_nipm.pdf

I was swimming there with my girlfriend when a fish started nibbling on my back. I screamed like a woman, flailed around like a crazy person and then exited the lake. True story. I plan to return this year and face the 4" long fish that bullied me out of the water.

Old 03-15-2016, 02:32 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,755,535 times
OP- look into the town of Lyme. Incredible number of trails with various choices of scenery, uplands, woodland, marshland, woods and ponds, some along or near the CT River. So many to choose from.

http://www.lymelandtrust.org/trails-properties/

Old 05-16-2016, 09:28 AM

Did a trail run up at Sessions Woods yesterday. Only been up there once 2 year's ago. Mostly from what I recalled going up the first time was a hike of a 3 mile crushed gravel loop. This time around explored side trails as well. The waterfall and climbing the top of the firetower was pretty sweet.

Great place for photos believe I caught a picture of a tanager and some caterpillars making a cocoon.

Old 05-16-2016, 11:16 AM

83,502 posts, read 75,252,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Did a trail run up at Sessions Woods yesterday. Only been up there once 2 year's ago. Mostly from what I recalled going up the first time was a hike of a 3 mile crushed gravel loop. This time around explored side trails as well. The waterfall and climbing the top of the firetower was pretty sweet.

Great place for photos believe I caught a picture of a tanager and some caterpillars making a cocoon.
I'm going to check it out. Thanks!

BTW .. Just Youtubed a video for it... I'm going to post it in the Black Bear thread.

Old 05-16-2016, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
I'm going to check it out. Thanks!

BTW .. Just Youtubed a video for it... I'm going to post it in the Black Bear thread.
It felt bigger then it is mapped out to be if that makes sense. You have a sensation of being lost in the woods. I mean there are some hilly parts and they have a trail that splits in half to shorten the hike. Also there are side trails. I was so thinking I be bear lunch ha this one single partially reclaimed brush on the trail that led to this soft mossy trail that led to this gorgeous waterfall. I went up stream instead of downstream so first half of the trail was running along the river. Then that leads to the waterfall that leads to an amazing pond. Has a viewing blind and a boardwalk. Usually will see a beaver dam in the pond. That then leads to a field that one sign says use to be a pond. They set the field up so you can watch birds with various houses and feeders in it. Never read too much there is a tree trail, part of the crOSS section trail. You'll know your there because the tree line changes dramatically go from covered in canopy to open sky with trees as high as 6 ft. Here you can connect with the blue trail, which veers off to the left or right depending on the direction you come. Not sure where the blue trail takes you or if it connects with the other blue trails. Anyways keep going forward you'll near the end. However, if like me don't want to stop to the left is a white trail a single track snake winding trail through the forest that parallels the road at one point. Then your at the end.

There is youth campgrounds there, an outdoor classroom, educational signs dot the trail with information, a fire tower you can climb, there is am indoor classroom I believe, think some rangers are housed up there, there is a lot of taxidermy items, and a education/museum center.

Pretty cool place

Old 05-16-2016, 07:09 PM

6,569 posts, read 4,964,901 times
I did some trail work there last year - cool place! Wish the museum had been open that day, I walked around best I could in the unlit rooms.

Old 05-17-2016, 12:36 PM

1,985 posts, read 1,454,867 times
Case Mountain in Manchester has some nice trails.
Manchester Trail Mix - Maplets
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut