Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 09:42 AM

547 posts, read 774,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOnH3Harriet View Post
@pjnugget I can see what you mean. I'm in my mid 20's now, but I've had a career for some time. I used to live next to a Boston College and I don't want to relive that experiance again (3am wake up calls from rowdy drunk students is enough). By the sounds of it Milford sounds better and better. Thank you!

You mention dowtown apartments not advertised. Where, how, or whom do I reach for these? Or would it be better to find a broker?
With the weather warming up and New Haven restaurant week starting in a couple weeks, I would suggest going on a trip up this area to do a search. If you plan on not having a car, I would try to live in New Haven. But as kidyankee stated, you will probably need a car if you live in CT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2013, 10:08 AM

21,620 posts, read 31,202,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comp625 View Post
- I had friends who lived in the Dwight neighborhood of New Haven (right near Chapel Street, which runs perpendicular to State Street and the Train Station). It doesn't jump out as the most desirable area of New Haven, but friends and I thought it was quite nice if you find the right apartment. Rent was reasonable and only downside was lack of parking (mostly street).
I know a few people who still live in this neighborhood and love it. As you stated, not the nicest but it could be worse. It's probably one of the better bangs for your buck in downtown NH.

Old 04-02-2013, 10:45 AM

837 posts, read 2,082,917 times
Quote:
@Stylo OoOoh! I see. Thank you for the clarification! I'll keep my eyes peeled.
I most likely will take the train in and explore. I go up to New Haven a lot, so on one of my trips I'll leave a bit earlier to peruse the streets.

As a true city gal I don't own a car. I'm slowly coming to terms with the necessity of needing a vehicle after I move. But for now I'll stick with the trains.
Even if you choose New Haven, you'll most likely want a car. IMO, it could be that I am jaded because I've always had a car, but I don't think you can fully experience New England without one.

Similarly, many coastal Connecticut towns and cities are "vertical" in nature. There is much that these towns offer in the northern parts (closer to the Merritt Parkway) and/or in bordering towns.

For example, if you want to check out the New Haven cityscape from atop East Rock Park or hike Sleeping Giant Mountain in nearby Hamden, you'll need a means of getting to those two locales. I'm not sure if biking is do-able considering that most main roads that connect the towns/cities are not really bike/pedestrian friendly. E.g. I would feel unsafe biking down the Post Road from Milford all the way to New Haven.

Old 04-02-2013, 10:54 AM

27 posts, read 33,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjnugget View Post
With the weather warming up and New Haven restaurant week starting in a couple weeks, I would suggest going on a trip up this area to do a search. If you plan on not having a car, I would try to live in New Haven. But as kidyankee stated, you will probably need a car if you live in CT.
Yeah. I figured I would need to purchase one once I leave the city. I grew up in rural Maine so I know what it's like driving 20 minutes for toliet paper. lol And I think I'll appreciate the ease it will be to get around town having one.

Old 04-02-2013, 10:59 AM

21,620 posts, read 31,202,923 times
Quote:
I grew up in rural Maine so I know what it's like driving 20 minutes for toliet paper.
lol - yeah, CT is not like that at all.

Old 04-02-2013, 11:53 AM

547 posts, read 774,936 times
Default Parking Fees in Apt

One difference between downtown New Haven and Milford is that most apts in New Haven have seperate parking fees/rent for cars. I don't think any apt complex in downtown Milford will have that.

Old 04-02-2013, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjnugget View Post
One difference between downtown New Haven and Milford is that most apts in New Haven have seperate parking fees/rent for cars. I don't think any apt complex in downtown Milford will have that.
Oh good to know! Milford is sounding like a real winner for me.

@Comp625 you asked about my age. I'm in my mid twenties now (25). So I've done the college thing and have had the club experiance. I've always much prefered a lively bar or nice pub over them all. Since moving down to NY I've discovered Yuengling (among others!), which has been a happy discovery with the move. lol

Old 04-02-2013, 12:34 PM

21,752 posts, read 28,077,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I know a few people who still live in this neighborhood and love it. As you stated, not the nicest but it could be worse. It's probably one of the better bangs for your buck in downtown NH.
I wouldn't go any further west than Chapel West though.

Old 04-02-2013, 12:37 PM

21,752 posts, read 28,077,952 times
Quote:
@Comp625 you asked about my age. I'm in my mid twenties now (25). So I've done the college thing and have had the club experiance. I've always much prefered a lively bar or nice pub over them all. Since moving down to NY I've discovered Yuengling (among others!), which has been a happy discovery with the move. lol
If you're a fan of breweries, there are a few in the area you can visit:

Two Roads Brewing Co (brand new HUGE state-of-the-art brewery)
New England Brewing
City Steam Brewery Cafe and Restaurant in Hartford, CT
Southport Brewing Company

There are other breweries (Cavalry, Charter Oak, Thimble Island, etc) but not sure if you can visit them.

Old 04-02-2013, 12:59 PM

@Stylo I am a fan of breweries! Thank you so much!
That looks like a great list. Certainly will keep me busy!
However, if anything bad happens upon the morning I know who to blame. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut