Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 04:07 PM

27 posts, read 33,850 times

Advertisements

Hello all!

As my title suggests I am a single young lady looking at moving to Connecticut. I am specifically looking at the New Haven or surrounding areas. My job is located in NYC, but it's a commuter job. Which means I can take it with me when I move, however I still would like to live along the commuter line for a quick trip to the city if needed.

I have always liked New Haven, but I hear things about crime and cost of living there being an issue. Friends have recommended West Haven, Orange, and Milford as some alternatives.

I would like to live in a safe community, but still have the opportunity to go out to bars, restaurants, and enjoy an active nightlife. I also want to feel at home in my neighborhood. I make around 70k and hope to find a nice place to rent, yet still save some money. Coming from NYC any other place seems cheaper.

I'm curious what the locals have to say. Your answers would be greatly appreciated!

1. Which city would be more enjoyable for a single woman?

2. And if so, what neighborhood would you recommend?

3. Is there anything I should be aware of? (Something bad or maybe it's something good)

4. And what is one piece of advice you wished someone told you before you moved to CT/New Haven Area?

Bonus question!
Also I hear a lot about crime in New Haven, but is it as bad as NYC?

I know it's a lot asked, but I'm just starting to look. Thank you again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2013, 04:35 PM

140 posts, read 259,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOnH3Harriet View Post
Hello all!

As my title suggests I am a single young lady looking at moving to Connecticut. I am specifically looking at the New Haven or surrounding areas. My job is located in NYC, but it's a commuter job. Which means I can take it with me when I move, however I still would like to live along the commuter line for a quick trip to the city if needed.

I have always liked New Haven, but I hear things about crime and cost of living there being an issue. Friends have recommended West Haven, Orange, and Milford as some alternatives.

I would like to live in a safe community, but still have the opportunity to go out to bars, restaurants, and enjoy an active nightlife. I also want to feel at home in my neighborhood. I make around 70k and hope to find a nice place to rent, yet still save some money. Coming from NYC any other place seems cheaper.

I'm curious what the locals have to say. Your answers would be greatly appreciated!

1. Which city would be more enjoyable for a single woman?

2. And if so, what neighborhood would you recommend?

3. Is there anything I should be aware of? (Something bad or maybe it's something good)

4. And what is one piece of advice you wished someone told you before you moved to CT/New Haven Area?

Bonus question!
Also I hear a lot about crime in New Haven, but is it as bad as NYC?

I know it's a lot asked, but I'm just starting to look. Thank you again!
New Haven has many safe areas, but like you said cost of living can potentionally be a problem. I like East Rock, Westville, and the Wooster Square areas. New Haven has a lot of nice nightlife/culture, so that isn't a problem.

My reccommendation would be Milford, as you do have some decent nightlife in downtown (and a short ride from New Haven for more nightlife/culture). In Milford, I'd look into living near downtown so you are close to nightlife, but also close to the train station.

I wouldn't recommend Orange because its kind of quiet (although you are close to both Milford and New Haven), not on the train line, and it could be pricey. I wouldn't recommend West Haven either, because
it can be pricey in the nicer areas.

Are you looking for single family homes, or apartments/condos?

Old 04-01-2013, 04:36 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,758,510 times
If you search the forum or just scroll through posts, you'll find tons of threads on this topic. Read some of them, as they will answer all your questions.

In your circumstance, I would live in either Milford or New Haven. Good, safe, New Haven neighborhoods are East Rock, Westville,. Wooster Square and the city center around the Green/ Yale. The area around the Green is heavily developed,urban and the most expensive.

There is lots to see and do in New Haven which has a lively bar, retaurant, live theater & arts scene.

Milford is also an excellent choice. It has a cute downtown with some good entertainment. Virtually anywhere is safe.

Orange is a nice town, but you'd have to go to New Haven to do anything. It's mostly a suburban, bedroom community. The cheapest rents would be found in West Haven which IMO rates a " Meh " .
Great beach but otherwise boring, boring.

New Haven is not a quick trip to NYC. The train is there but figure an hour and half at a minimum on the train plus time getting to the train plus time getting off the train and to where ever you're going. In other words, at least two hours or better. However, if it's a once in a while trip , probably tolerable.

New Haven does have a crime problem in certain neighborhoods. And no, no worse than NYC. Stay in the neighborhoods noted and you'll be fine. Crime seems to be confined to certain neighorhoods.

Good luck

Old 04-01-2013, 04:49 PM

@PhxSuns333Thank you for your input. I am looking right now to rent. I've lived in 1 bedrooms to 2 bedroom apartments. I would love a spacious 1-2 bedroom apartment (one room to be an office) with some yard or green space nearby.

@willow wind Thank you for your suggestion. I started reading similar post on the area and it has been helpful in my decision.

It seems that Milford is a good choice so far. I will definitely be looking into this more closely now.

Old 04-01-2013, 05:02 PM

2,256 posts, read 4,496,521 times
Budget woulx prob help with more specific suggestions..and no where is as bad as NYC for crime..

Old 04-01-2013, 05:08 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,858,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPct View Post
Budget woulx prob help with more specific suggestions..and no where is as bad as NYC for crime..

I don't think that's an accurate assessment. While New Haven does have "safe" neighborhoods, it also has plenty that are worse than many NYC neighborhoods.

Old 04-01-2013, 05:57 PM

2,256 posts, read 4,496,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
I don't think that's an accurate assessment. While New Haven does have "safe" neighborhoods, it also has plenty that are worse than many NYC neighborhoods.
Of course theres varying degrees of "safe" but obviously in half a sentence Im talking as a WHOLE..

Old 04-01-2013, 07:40 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPct View Post
Of course theres varying degrees of "safe" but obviously in half a sentence Im talking as a WHOLE..
As a whole?

Crime per 1,000 residents:

New Haven: 13.5
New York, NY: 7.92
National Median: 4

New York City wins.

Old 04-01-2013, 07:47 PM

21,738 posts, read 28,070,632 times
Hard to compare NYC to a tiny city like New Haven. There are parts of NYC that are the same size as New Haven and are even more crime ridden.

Old 04-01-2013, 08:00 PM

@LRPct Budget for rent would be around 1000 +/-. I paid 1300 in Boston for a 1 bedroom apartment with utilities. And in New York I pay roughly 1900 for a 2 bedroom with plenty of space in a good location (I also have a roommate).

Having cheaper rent would help me save more for something bigger in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut