Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 11:16 AM

14 posts, read 90,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
What are other good ways to insulate the attic floor?
I'd be curious about this, too. Since we're quickly moving away from the idea of spray foam, we're considering just air sealing areas of the attic floor like around light fixtures and ductwork and then having the blown-in cellulose as the insulation. I think you need a vapor barrier, though, when using the blown-in cellulose. If you get anymore info on insulating the attic floors, please let me know.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 06:09 PM

4,316 posts, read 4,173,203 times
How to insulate the attic floor depends on some details:

1- what is the floor construction (plywood? Nothing? Joist depth?)
2- what kind of envelope do you have? If your walls are like a sieve, insulating the ceiling will not do much. Windows? Glass area? Siding? Roof pitch? Floor of living floor?
3- have you sealed off penetrations, seams at floor? Doors? Windows? AC window units? Sealed plumbing penetration under the sinks (in cabinets? Vanities)
4- are you keeping this house long term?
5- do you have a budget?
6- how do you heat the house? Forced air? Radiators? Radiant heating?
7- do you know what work in your town will require what permit?
8- what is you risk tolerance? I.e. You/your wife mind experimenting with new technologies, yet unproven long-term?

I do this for a living, and can tell you that any advice without knowing these facts can be very misguiding to you...

If you got no time for this, then don't waste your money until you know what you want.

Old 04-10-2013, 11:18 AM

14 posts, read 90,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
How to insulate the attic floor depends on some details:

1- what is the floor construction (plywood? Nothing? Joist depth?)
2- what kind of envelope do you have? If your walls are like a sieve, insulating the ceiling will not do much. Windows? Glass area? Siding? Roof pitch? Floor of living floor?
3- have you sealed off penetrations, seams at floor? Doors? Windows? AC window units? Sealed plumbing penetration under the sinks (in cabinets? Vanities)
4- are you keeping this house long term?
5- do you have a budget?
6- how do you heat the house? Forced air? Radiators? Radiant heating?
7- do you know what work in your town will require what permit?
8- what is you risk tolerance? I.e. You/your wife mind experimenting with new technologies, yet unproven long-term?

I do this for a living, and can tell you that any advice without knowing these facts can be very misguiding to you...

If you got no time for this, then don't waste your money until you know what you want.
The previous owners finished part of the walk-up attic making it a studio with electric baseboard heat, carpeting, and a skylight. It's a separate room with its own door in the attic. The rest of the attic is your typical attic in that part of it does have a plywood floor and there is also a window. In between the joists is your run-of-the mill fiberglass batts.

The ductwork for our central heat/air system is on the floor in the attic.
I called the City of Danbury yesterday to inquire about what's required for making changes to insulation, but they told me to call back after 3pm when an inspector MIGHT be back in the office.

We plan on being in the home maybe 15 years and as far as risk tolerance, I would have to know all of the facts before answering that question which is why I'm researching this thoroughly including getting feedback from others in this area who may have already embarked on this project.

Budget is flexible, but I believe in being practical, too. Will I see a return on this investment? I don't know. That's a big question mark. Is spray foam insulation going to provide an R-value and comfort level superior to blown-in cellulose? It will certainly be neater (less dusty) than cellulose, but if we air seal the attic prior to laying down insulation, perhaps we'll be ok with the cellulose.

When it comes to spending $13k, I do take the time to look at all of my options, and again, the reason for the post in the first place.

Old 04-10-2013, 08:23 PM

4,316 posts, read 4,173,203 times
Your initial complaint is about heat escaping your living Floor into the attic. 2 phases to the job.

1- Phase 1 is retrofit.
2- Phase 2 is upgrades.

Retrofit means, resealing gaps at ceiling moldings. Caulking basically. Around the windows, around door frames, fixtures. Pay special attention to holes for plumbing under the sinks. I have seen too many enlarged and unsealed PL penetrations in cabinets and vanities make or break blower door tests. Make also sure that door to attic is closing correctly. Since you also have forced air into the attic, make sure that system is balanced. Google "HVAC or ventilation balancing."

You definitily have air leakage/transfer in attic, due to skylight and window there. Air pressure differential between living floor and attic might be considerate. This will increase the heat loss from the living floor, which seems to be your main complaint.

Based on NYSERDA, Phase 1 accounts for 50 - 70 % improvement in energy efficiency, yet vendors will try to sell you their magic bullets, which is really a Phase 2 upgrade.

A key is to measure although you won't be able to measure much until the winter. None of this also should require a permit.

Interestingly our main consultant for this stuff is Steven Winters Associates from Norwalk / Danbury.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut