Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2007, 10:59 AM

16 posts, read 66,656 times

Advertisements

Is Milford located in Fairfield County? It is, isn't it?
I'd enjoy hearing more about it... I know, I've posted before; but, I want to learn more about the place and we're too busy to visit right now.

Thank you!
Happy Halloween!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2007, 11:08 AM

879 posts, read 1,660,162 times
No, it's right over the border into New Haven county.

I haven't been terribly impressed with it (living next door in Stratford), but I haven't experienced enough of it to know!

Old 10-29-2007, 11:35 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,419,192 times
I grew up there, I still have family there. Good schools, easy access to Metro-North, parts are very commercially developed (all of Rt.1, with big box development mostly near the Orange town line), cute/vibrant downtown area with many restaurants and bars, many homes are on smaller lots (less than 0.5 acres) and are of average size (<2,000SF) though larger homes and larger lots are around, they aren't the norm.

Milford Harbor is easily accessed if you like to boat, a public ramp is located behind the city library and there is one off of Naugatuck Ave to access the Housatonic River. There is a lot of coastline in Milford, obviously living on or right near the water will be much more expensive. The main areas you may hear people refer to are Woodmont, Morningside, and downtown (around the town green). other areas people refer to are the general areas of where a beach is, i.e. Walnut Beach, Laurel Beach, Gulf Beach, Anchor Beach, Fort Trumbull Beach. There are other named sections but most names aren't used by locals (like "Naugatuck Gardens").

There is no bad/unsafe area. I can't think of anywhere I would feel strange walking alone. When I was growing up Milford was solidly middle and working class. It has been somewhat yuppified in recent years as Fairfield County housing prices drive people further away from NYC which have sent housing prices up. For instance a 1950s 3BR Cape Cod style house in decent shape (no big issues) on 0.25 acres of land will probably run you $300K. There are many condos around town that are more affordable. There are apartments within the city but no big complexes except for Avalon located right near I-95 (exit 40). There are some smaller apartment complexes scattered throughout the city.

Old 11-01-2007, 09:06 PM

327 posts, read 1,119,241 times
There was some talk of milford being part of Fairfield Co. at one point a few years ago. Glad it didn't go that route. I like the down to earth diversity this town offers. No need to be lumped into the gold coast. Although that will just mean more $$$ to my house appreciation. Then again it would be another excuse for higher taxes and cost of living here.

As some folks stated above with the new yuppie movement, Milford faces the typical modern issue of deciding how much land to develop and how much to keep natural, especially in light of the city's location on the shoreline.

The Milford Downtown is undergoing a rapid revitalization, with development centered primarily on Daniel Street. New venues such as Cafe Atlantique, the Daniel Street Club, SBC Restaurant, the Stonebridge Restaurant, Cancun Charlie's and a number of smaller businesses account for downtown Milford's new-found popularity in the area. Amost like a little South Norwalk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut