Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 05:04 PM

2,256 posts, read 4,494,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I agree 100% with this statement. SD is amazing.
It is.. except for the ever increasing BP checkpoints there and south. Especially if in a pick up, which I usually am with dirt bikes in the back. It used to be 20 questions, now 40 questions every stop. Making upstanding citizens feel like tresspassers in our own country.
It is gorgeous IN SD though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2013, 06:27 PM

3,435 posts, read 3,941,124 times
In what areas do you both practice? Do you plan on working in FFC or commuting to NYC? The Stamford legal market in terms of large firms is relatively limited, mostly due to the proximity to New York. There are in-house jobs to be had in FFC, especially in securities and finance, but there are many corporate HQs as well. State jobs are also a possibility, but they require you to be admitted to the CT bar before you can even apply and there have been hiring freezes due to the state budget problems. Obviously, working in NYC would provide lots of options, but the commute would be very difficult from anywhere east of Greenwich. While plenty of people do it, very few of them that I know are lawyers. Working 60+ hour weeks with a three hour round trip commute each day makes it very difficult, especially if you are both working.

Old 04-15-2013, 06:29 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,621,505 times
How do you think your kids would adjust to living here?

Old 04-16-2013, 08:22 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,621,505 times
Quote:
Yes, public schools in CT's suburbs are hard to beat.
Are they not good in SD's suburbs? I'm not sure if the OP is outside of SD or not. But I always thought the suburban So Cal schools were equitable with FFCs. So many abbreviations, oh my!

Old 04-16-2013, 08:54 AM

21,616 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
Are they not good in SD's suburbs? I'm not sure if the OP is outside of SD or not. But I always thought the suburban So Cal schools were equitable with FFCs. So many abbreviations, oh my!
Honestly, not really. That was a huge gripe I had with SoCal. Underfunded. Overcrowded. Of course there are good school districts there but mainly in the very wealthy, Greenwich-type towns. A town in CA with the demographics of, say, North Haven, would have terrible schools IMO. Of course, what makes a good school varies from person to person.

Old 04-16-2013, 09:36 AM

34,917 posts, read 56,893,272 times
To me, being near family is very important. Weather changes from day to day and it is great but there is nothing better for a child than knowing the importance of family. My son was very close to his grandfather and I think that closeness help my father live longer and gave my son an appreciation for the elderly and the things they went through in their lives. Not knowing yours I am assuming that your children could have the same experience. Right now I am guessing that your kids see their grandparents a couple of times a year if lucky. You need to ask yourself if them seeing their grandparents regularly will be a good thing or not and think about the long term when your parents will have difficulty traveling. I know this is not easy but you and your husband should try and make this decision as soon as possible. Once your kids enter school, they grow roots that will be hard to break. Jay

Old 04-16-2013, 09:38 AM

21,616 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Weather changes from day to day
Not really in San Diego.

But I do agree with your entire post. Family is very important.

Old 04-16-2013, 09:39 AM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
Quote:
not really in san diego. :d
qft.

Old 04-16-2013, 09:49 AM

34,917 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Not really in San Diego.

But I do agree with your entire post. Family is very important.
I know but I meant here in Connecticut. Jay

Old 04-16-2013, 09:58 AM

547 posts, read 774,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
To me, being near family is very important. Weather changes from day to day and it is great but there is nothing better for a child than knowing the importance of family. My son was very close to his grandfather and I think that closeness help my father live longer and gave my son an appreciation for the elderly and the things they went through in their lives. Not knowing yours I am assuming that your children could have the same experience. Right now I am guessing that your kids see their grandparents a couple of times a year if lucky. You need to ask yourself if them seeing their grandparents regularly will be a good thing or not and think about the long term when your parents will have difficulty traveling. I know this is not easy but you and your husband should try and make this decision as soon as possible. Once your kids enter school, they grow roots that will be hard to break. Jay
We have thought about relocating out of CT also but it's hard to put a price to be close to family...although the winter sucks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut