Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 03:45 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,621,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
Law school is full of kids looking to figure out what they want to do with their lives, and has been that way for some time. I guess it's flowing into the business schools now.
Or worse, the join Teach For America now and work in our public schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2013, 09:56 PM

3 posts, read 4,123 times
UConn has become very competitive. I know many well qualified students that have been turned down over the years. I know know one person who applied with nearly a 4.0 GPA and tons of extra curriculars that got denied. She called the admission office and asked why she got rejected. They told her that since the school is receiving such a vast amount of applications, they are automatically throwing out any applications that show SAT scores below a 1200 (just math and reading, no writing). It's a shame because people work their butts off and do all the right things, but they just cannot get a good score on the SATs. This was 5 or 6 years ago so I can't imagine how bad it is now.

Last edited by Traveler5000; 05-13-2013 at 09:56 PM.. Reason: Need to add something

Old 05-14-2013, 04:11 AM

4,316 posts, read 4,203,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler5000 View Post
UConn has become very competitive. I know many well qualified students that have been turned down over the years. I know know one person who applied with nearly a 4.0 GPA and tons of extra curriculars that got denied. She called the admission office and asked why she got rejected. They told her that since the school is receiving such a vast amount of applications, they are automatically throwing out any applications that show SAT scores below a 1200 (just math and reading, no writing). It's a shame because people work their butts off and do all the right things, but they just cannot get a good score on the SATs. This was 5 or 6 years ago so I can't imagine how bad it is now.
I wouldn't blame Uconn in your example. Getting a good score on SAT requires working one's butt off, sacrificing, I.e. Doing the right things, which the student did not do.

Old 05-14-2013, 10:19 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,131,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
Or worse, the join Teach For America now and work in our public schools.
Yes, god forbid bright kids go to the inner cities where schools are in the most need an teach. What could they possibly be thinking?

Old 05-14-2013, 11:55 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,621,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Yes, god forbid bright kids go to the inner cities where schools are in the most need an teach. What could they possibly be thinking?
Yes, those inner city kids don't need veteran teachers and those that have trained for four years. What they need is a white kid from an upper middle class or wealthy background with five weeks of training amid 5-7 summer school students. Who needs class room management training and courses in the content taught? A kid out of the University of Chicago with the Art History degree will do just fine teaching sixth grade math.

Oh yes, I forgot. Only students from Ivy League schools and other private institutions costing at least $40,000 per year are bright. That guy who went to Southern knowing he wanted to be a teacher and smart enough to realize Yale wouldn't be worth it for his job plans is an idiot. Forget the fact that Yale and no other Ivy League schools offer degrees in education.

You really need to pay attention and see how many TFAers quit before their two year commitment is up. Then you should see how many of these people go into administrative, legislative and (primarily) policy positions. They are the ones wreaking havoc with impossible data, standardized testing and the teaching profession.

Old 09-21-2014, 08:24 AM

4 posts, read 4,892 times
I found this thread while researching 'grade deflation.'

Having attended a few universities (CCSU, Quinnipiac and a community college), I will tell you that UCONN's science classes are much more difficult than any other school. I don't exactly know why, but I believe the testing is purposely made more difficult because the average student is smarter (as a result of admission GPA, SAT, etc). So although I have an associate's from another school (3.99 gpa), I am struggling to keep a B average here in the sciences. Not so with any other classes, just the hard sciences. If you're looking to get into grad school with a science degree, I'd second guess this choice.

I have a class with 200 other kids right now. The average exam grade was a C, so most of these students will end up with a C or lower.

Old 09-21-2014, 12:33 PM

678 posts, read 846,558 times
I could speak for days on this topic, especially regarding sciences and UConn, lol! I have experience with UConn Storrs, the Connecticut State colleges, as well as several community colleges littered across the state.

I can tell you for a fact that the UConn science program is definitely the worst thing in existence at that campus. It's so horrible, that if I were to do it again, I would rather study in Stamford/WeHa/Waterbury for a year or two and get those out of the way. I understand why they have such big classes (not enough professors vs high students...or high ROI, lol!), but, I can't think of anything else to disconnect students coming from Connecticut town schools where class sizes are overwhelmingly more intimate and learning is better facilitated.

Someone mentioned how they wouldn't waste alot of money on a 18 year old kid for a private university, and I totally agree with this statement. It's not worth it to send students to struggle with change; especially in their first year. Many students struggle in their "weed out" classes and aren't fully able to grasp priorities. It takes a while and it's not fair for people to suffer just to learn. That's my take.

UConn is considered a public ivy. There is a difference between UConn and UMass in status. We're regarded as the best public university in New England. But, we're still miles away from being the best public university in the East Coast. Chapel Hill and UVA surpass us in like, every way, lol! Berkeley sits on top. I usually say UCLA is next.

1- UCB
2- UCLA
3- UVA
4- UMI
5- UNC
6- UWI

Something like that. I'm talking about state schools, not just public. I believe College of William and Mary is high on that list but, they're not a state school, just public. Also, I'm surprised our education school is highly ranked. I thought our engineering and business would fare better. Guess not! Perhaps in the next decade everything will be top 50!

As for JayCT's question. My guess is that UConn is trying really hard to crack top 10 Public Universities. I actually do support this. I think it's a bit bizarre to have public schools regarded so highly in the country but our public universities are slacking (I understand why, shhh!) The Connecticut State schools are improving slowly. They'll never attain UConn standards but these schools are excellent if you are pursuing a degree that's specialized like nursing, business, education. or even engineering. As for liberal arts/sciences, UConn does it better/has more resources.

Old 09-21-2014, 03:14 PM

1,087 posts, read 1,386,547 times
When I went to college I was given 20 credit hours for serving in the military. Of course I got another 2 credits for an orientation and 6 more for English and History classes. All though I was only to maintain a 2.8 gpa working 10 hours a day and having a wife and 2 kids at home.

In today's market I don't see the advantage to college compared 10-15 years ago when I was attending. I mean if there is a huge demand for a certain field and its your dream to become part of that profession, then perhaps college makes sense if that's what is required to obtain the position.

To go to college just to say you have a degree I think is a foolish decision to make. That piece of paper in today's world could leave you 26,000 in debt or more.

I was bored to death in my classes because I never been one to sit for an hour or more and listen to lectures. To me if you really want to teach you throw the text books away and let the kids gain actual hands on experience.

Old 09-21-2014, 03:38 PM

2,005 posts, read 2,086,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennyct View Post
I found this thread while researching 'grade deflation.'

Having attended a few universities (CCSU, Quinnipiac and a community college), I will tell you that UCONN's science classes are much more difficult than any other school. I don't exactly know why, but I believe the testing is purposely made more difficult because the average student is smarter (as a result of admission GPA, SAT, etc). So although I have an associate's from another school (3.99 gpa), I am struggling to keep a B average here in the sciences. Not so with any other classes, just the hard sciences. If you're looking to get into grad school with a science degree, I'd second guess this choice.

I have a class with 200 other kids right now. The average exam grade was a C, so most of these students will end up with a C or lower.
If most of the students will end up with a C or lower, then the average student in your class isn't smarter...lol. Sounds like a bad professor to me...

Old 09-21-2014, 07:42 PM

1,241 posts, read 901,324 times
"Something like that. I'm talking about state schools, not just public. I believe College of William and Mary is high on that list but, they're not a state school, just public."

William and Mary is a state school. My understanding is that all public schools are state schools. Perhaps you mean it is not a flagship school/campus?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut