Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2013, 07:47 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,942,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
I don't think Norwalk is more "chill", but if you like what you saw - go for it. Although be prepared for a frustrating commute if you do it by car.

I still think that Westport apartment by the train station you found is your best bet.
The Westport one was taken. Outside of Stamford and Norwalk, there is very very little rental inventory in lower FFC, and I'm not even bothering to look in Bridgeport. Also, outside of Stamford and Norwalk, the surrounding towns -- I'm learning -- are very family oriented and severely lacking singles my age. That drives me crazy. For example, here in Granby, whenever I go out in public to Stop & Shop or whatever, all I see are people aged 45+, parents and children, etc. I just don't fit in. If you look at the statistics you will see that Darien, Greenwich, New Canaan, Westport and Fairfield are all right in line with towns like Simsbury, Avon and Granby in that regard. Beautiful towns, but I feel like an odd duck living in them at this point in my life.

I probably would have pursued Stamford rental units more, but unfortunately, the ones that I like are just too much for my budget.

I also left a voicemail to this one leasing agent who works for a few properties in Stamford with 1 br units, telling her to call me back if the units are available for no more than $1,625. She never called back. Sure enough, the agents I worked with today told me that at this time of year it's very difficult to find an updated/renovated 1 br in Stamford for under $1,700.

One of my agents was from Greenwich. She had no personality and was very rushful, snobby and barely smiled. The agent from Norwalk was much more down to earth, cheerful, talkative and easy to get along with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2013, 07:51 PM

21,737 posts, read 28,065,714 times
Fairfield has 3 Universities nearby and has a significant undergrad and grad school population. So it's definitely "younger" feeling than your Darien/Westport's.

Old 05-13-2013, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Fairfield has 3 Universities nearby and has a significant undergrad and grad school population. So it's definitely "younger" feeling than your Darien/Westport's.
I'm 28 lol. I have nothing in common with college kids lol. Luckily one of the apartments I looked at was pretty close to SoNo. My agent said that the complex and area in general has plenty of young professionals. So I liked that. Not that the nightlife is relevant to me, since I'm a homosexual, but it's nice to have some nice restaurants nearby for dating or friends, etc. For nightlife (if I care to do that at 29 years old), I would have to go to New Haven or NYC, but I'm not much of a nightlife person anyway.

Old 05-13-2013, 07:58 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,857,574 times
Quote:
Yeah, but he would need to be particular about exactly where in Fairfield to get an apartment. At the Black Rock border? Other areas might not work so well. I hear the "Seagrape" crowd is particularly immature and uhhhhhh, let's just say not politically correct when they're boozing it up.

Old 05-13-2013, 08:00 PM

Regardless, there are almost no apartments on the market in Fairfield anyway. I checked ApartmentGuide, Apartments.com, Craigslist, etc. Nothing.

Old 05-13-2013, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Yeah, but he would need to be particular about exactly where in Fairfield to get an apartment. At the Black Rock border? Other areas might not work so well. I hear the "Seagrape" crowd is particularly immature and uhhhhhh, let's just say not politically correct when they're boozing it up.
You're within close range to Black Rock anywhere near the center, and there's some great restaurants and decent bars in Fairfield proper. I knew plenty of young professionals that lived there and liked it. Plus you're between Stamford and New Haven and a short train ride to NYC.

Nep, I've found Hotpads.com to be really good.

You might like SoNo's restaurants. Despite a high turnover, they have a handful of really good ones. Pricey, but good. Barcelona, Coromandel, Strada 18, The Spread, NOLA, etc.

Would you take the train from there?

Old 05-13-2013, 08:13 PM

Quote:
You're within close range to Black Rock anywhere near the center, and there's some great restaurants and decent bars in Fairfield proper. I knew plenty of young professionals that lived there and liked it. Plus you're between Stamford and New Haven and a short train ride to NYC.

Nep, I've found Hotpads.com to be really good.

You might like SoNo's restaurants. Despite a high turnover, they have a handful of really good ones. Pricey, but good. Barcelona, Coromandel, Strada 18, The Spread, NOLA, etc.

Would you take the train from there?
I'll look at Hotpads.

Well, according to Google, the drive would be 13 mins without traffic. If I drive-train-walk, it would take 28 mins. I guess I'll have to experiment. I'll probably try both ways and see what I like better.

Old 05-13-2013, 08:15 PM

It might depend on the day. The drive back to Norwalk is consistently bad though. It could easily go over 28 minutes.

At least you have the option.

Old 05-13-2013, 08:38 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,133,952 times
Quote:

Don't forget Match. Been there for years. Great place. Owned by a friend of mine. Highly recommended.

Old 05-13-2013, 08:47 PM

2 posts, read 2,535 times
I live in Norwalk and constantly drive down 95 passing through Stamford going down towards New York City. The rush hour commute is awful. At times it takes nearly 90 minutes to go the less than 10 miles between Norwalk and Stamford. However with no traffic the ride is 15 minutes at the most. Depending on your hours, I would highly suggest taking the train. SoNo has some great restaurants and Washington Street is a very nice place to walk around as previous posters have mentioned. Calf Pasture Beach was also recently fixed up and is a very nice spot to hang out. In general Norwalk is a nice place to live minus a few rough areas that previous posters have mentioned. But if you stay away from those areas then you will have no problems. I have lived here my whole life and I have had any issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut