Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2013, 02:10 PM

21,516 posts, read 30,922,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Oh well. Either way I prefer the climate of northern CT or western MA.
You're a strange dude, nep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2013, 05:09 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,829,722 times
I got the offer for the job in Stamford!

Significantly large pay increase from what I was making near Hartford....I'm very pleased with it and shall have no problem finding a decent apartment and eventually a house to buy....in FFC on my own....gulp!

Now, they told me that the job is also typically 40 hours a week and the office is a ghost town by 5:30 pm. And I am entitled to about 5 weeks of PTO per year. But others on this forum stated that people are not likely to build a successful career from a 40-hr a week job. So now what?!

The job is very close to the train station, too.

Anyway, I have two days to make a decision.

I was kind of hoping that the Fort Lauderdale job would be an option, but it doesn't seem like it. They just sent me an e-mail saying that they will postpone the hiring process. Like I have time to wait around for that.

Old 05-07-2013, 05:10 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,757,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
That happens all the time, especially with elevation storms. Actually, there were many times when the northern half of Stamford would have 6", and southern Stamford would just be rain and slush. The Merritt is usually a dividing line between a lot and a little, or rain vs snow.

Remember, there are coastal storms that drop 6" on the coast and inland only gets 2". This happened numerous times this past season.
Nah, the coast hardly gets any snow. That 35" storm was just an illusion, a dream.

Old 05-07-2013, 05:27 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,695,013 times
Congratulations Nep !!! Take the job- doesn't sound too stressful as far as work hours, you've got plenty of time off, a pay increase. Don't over think the situation- you've been out of work for six months.
It's not like there are a dozen other offers sitting in the wings. Don't make easy hard, seems like a no brainer to me.

Old 05-07-2013, 05:28 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,751,821 times
So anyway I have 2 Interviews next week in Manhattan one for MTA and the other for the PATH.... So i'm looking at various towns and cities based on how much snow and rain they get and i'm not happy with the selection in CT its not meeting my standards.... So Ive decided to look at towns and cities based on the quality of life and i'm liking some of these towns pity its out of my commute range.

Old 05-07-2013, 05:29 PM

21,495 posts, read 27,731,790 times
5 months PTO, a big pay increase, and in a familiar-enough-area-to-not-freak-out-and-bail? Do it.

Being close to the train station opens up a lot of options in lower cost areas when it comes time to buy. You can also be closer to New Haven for a superior gay social scene.

Old 05-07-2013, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
You can also be closer to New Haven for a superior gay social scene.
Or just live in Stamford and take advantage of the even more superior gay scene in the largest city in the country.

Old 05-07-2013, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
5 months PTO, a big pay increase, and in a familiar-enough-area-to-not-freak-out-and-bail? Do it.

Being close to the train station opens up a lot of options in lower cost areas when it comes time to buy. You can also be closer to New Haven for a superior gay social scene.
I want that job!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Or just live in Stamford and take advantage of the even more superior gay scene in the largest city in the country.
He's already familiar with, and apparently doesn't care for, the scene in NYC.

Old 05-07-2013, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
He's already familiar with, and apparently doesn't care for, the scene in NYC.
I still wouldn't recommend he live near New Haven and commute to Stamford. Someone else, maybe. But not Nep.

Old 05-07-2013, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I got the offer for the job in Stamford!

Significantly large pay increase from what I was making near Hartford....I'm very pleased with it and shall have no problem finding a decent apartment and eventually a house to buy....in FFC on my own....gulp!

Now, they told me that the job is also typically 40 hours a week and the office is a ghost town by 5:30 pm. And I am entitled to about 5 weeks of PTO per year. But others on this forum stated that people are not likely to build a successful career from a 40-hr a week job. So now what?!

The job is very close to the train station, too.

Anyway, I have two days to make a decision.

I was kind of hoping that the Fort Lauderdale job would be an option, but it doesn't seem like it. They just sent me an e-mail saying that they will postpone the hiring process. Like I have time to wait around for that.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut