Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 05:27 PM

2 posts, read 45,919 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I'm going to NYC this weekend from Friday afternoon to Sunday morning from New London, CT and can't decide where to take the train from. I'd like to take Metro-North as opposed to Amtrak for obvious financial reasons, and I have a car so driving down 95 won't be a problem to get to another station. I've taken trains out of New Haven and Greenwich before, but I've never left my car there overnight. Do either of these stations have overnight parking? If so, where and for how much? Thanks in advance. . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2008, 05:38 PM

1,329 posts, read 2,629,547 times
Why don't you check out the Shoreline East trains from New London or Old Saybrook? Then you can leave your car in a more familiar place overnight and you don't have to deal with the hassle (and price) of the garage in New Haven. I think if you bring the right amount of cash, you won't even have to go into the station when you get to New Haven. You just walk straight to your connecting Metro North train. They usually announce which platform for NYC when you arrive in New Haven.

The other thing is that the parking garage for Union Station in New Haven can fill up. If you're getting there later in the day on Friday, then it's a gamble.

Old 09-03-2008, 06:06 PM

184 posts, read 842,611 times
Greenwich parking is free on weekends and fairly safe. Well lit, and patrolled by police. It is quite a schlep from New London, however.

Old 09-03-2008, 06:21 PM

2 posts, read 45,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloSam View Post
Greenwich parking is free on weekends and fairly safe. Well lit, and patrolled by police. It is quite a schlep from New London, however.
Can you park overnight?

Old 09-03-2008, 11:33 PM

21,619 posts, read 31,202,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coco23 View Post
Can you park overnight?
Yes you can - I believe overnight parking is free but I could be wrong. You might have to throw some quarters in the meter.

I agree with taking Shoreline East from New London. I'm not sure about the parking at those stations but friends have told me that on Friday you only have to pay until 11pm then it's free for the weekend (until Monday morning). As others have said, you would have to switch in New Haven (it's a breeze unless there's inclement weather which can delay trains) and that brings you right into Grand Central.

I wouldn't recommend driving in on a Friday, or even down to Greenwich on 95. Most of the traffic is coming North but there is still a considerable amount of traffic going South.

Shore Line East is Connecticut's Commuter Rail Service Between New Haven and New London

MTA Metro-North Railroad Schedules

Good luck, let us know what you decide.

Old 09-04-2008, 08:20 AM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times
A coworker drives to the Noroton Heights station in Darien, parks there on Friday afternoon and catches the train into the city for the weekend. It is free to park there is you go in the late afternoon and it is very safe. Jay

Old 09-05-2008, 09:00 AM

271 posts, read 1,278,455 times
I'm not positive, but I think only people that have weekly or monthly passes can take shore line east from New London. You would have to drive to Old Saybrook or any of the other stations west of there if you just buy a ticket for the day.

I think it has something to do with the contract between Amtrak and CDOT.

Old 09-05-2008, 12:00 PM

639 posts, read 2,711,216 times
No, you can take Shoreline East from New London to New Haven now on weekends. I suggest taking this option as well.

Old 04-06-2009, 08:36 PM

4 posts, read 29,863 times
My 17 year old is going to visit a friend not far from New London, and for financial reasons, taking Metro North from NYC to New Haven and switching to SLE to New London sounds great. Is everything housed in the same area in New Haven? How difficult is it to switch trains there? I'm concerned about her doing this on her own...

Old 04-06-2009, 10:41 PM

73 posts, read 244,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compumom View Post
My 17 year old is going to visit a friend not far from New London, and for financial reasons, taking Metro North from NYC to New Haven and switching to SLE to New London sounds great. Is everything housed in the same area in New Haven? How difficult is it to switch trains there? I'm concerned about her doing this on her own...
Usually the Shoreline East train will be waiting on the track across from the New Haven train. Tell your daughter to ask the conductor to be sure. Shore Line East is Connecticut's Commuter Rail Service Between New Haven and New London
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut