U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2013, 06:37 PM

15 posts, read 35,082 times

Advertisements

We are relocating from NYC to the Hartford area. My husband will be working in Hartford. We are looking for a great area to live. Schools are very important as well as quality of life. How do the areas compare? How is the commute to Hartford. Best area for families. Also are there areas that I should avoid. Any information is greatly appreciated. This is a big move for us and we want it to be the right one. Thanks in advance for all your advice!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2013, 06:56 PM

4,787 posts, read 10,672,613 times
More info please. What are you looking to do- rent or buy ? What's your budget for either. And what do you expect to get for that budget.

What are your expectations, what are you looking for- suburban to rural, more heavily developed, more urban, etc.

Old 05-02-2013, 07:04 PM

We are looking to buy.. budget about 500,000. I would like a suburban area... a little rural... a neighborhood. Most important are good schools and good people. Also not too rural to get to a supermarket. Commuting to Hartford.

Old 05-02-2013, 07:05 PM

Looking for a colonial house... 4 bedrooms with some property..trying to keep the taxes as low as we can. Also do not want to be near a industrial area or landfills. Thanks

Old 05-02-2013, 07:20 PM

5,917 posts, read 5,562,657 times
Consider Glastonbury. It's an easy commute into Hartford, schools are good, and it has good access to highways. Avon, Simsbury, and Farmington are all fine, with good schools, but it's more difficult to commute into Hartford from them. Even though parts of Farmington are near I84, there's a terrible bottleneck at the intersection of I84 and route 4, and Simsbury and Avon are far from any highways. In addition, there is a ridge that runs north south that separates the Farmington River valley from the CT river valley - it can make commuting difficult, especially in winter. You can easily find a 4 BR in any of these places in your price range.

Old 05-02-2013, 07:20 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,602,160 times
Three good choices you made. Consider Granby, East Granby also. Little farther out but real nice.

Old 05-02-2013, 07:23 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,602,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
Consider Glastonbury. It's an easy commute into Hartford, schools are good, and it has good access to highways. Avon, Simsbury, and Farmington are all fine, with good schools, but it's more difficult to commute into Hartford from them. Even though parts of Farmington are near I84, there's a terrible bottleneck at the intersection of I84 and route 4, and Simsbury and Avon are far from any highways. In addition, there is a ridge that runs north south that separates the Farmington River valley from the CT river valley - it can make commuting difficult, especially in winter. You can easily find a 4 BR in any of these places in your price range.
My daughter lives up and over the Mt. and she never has complained to me about getting into Hartford for her job. She works on Farmington Ave...so?

Old 05-02-2013, 07:32 PM

2,158 posts, read 4,079,024 times
I would go with Farmington. It's an attractive suburb of Hartford that has easy access to everything you'd need. Excellent schools, moderate taxes, and of all the towns that make up Farmington Valley, this is probably the friendliest. The other two towns are also really nice, but the snob factor is greater there IMO and I think Farmington would would the most welcoming. Traffic on 4 and I-84 is heavy, but it's only 2 towns away from Hartford and convenient to everything (restaurants, mall, parks, etc.)

Old 05-02-2013, 07:33 PM

4,787 posts, read 10,672,613 times
You can find what you want on a 1-2 acre lot in any of those towns. There won't be a ton of them but enough to choose.

Farmington is a suburban town but is more densely developed than the others ( more condos and apartments, shopping, etc. ) . Farmington is also closest in commute to Hartford, then Avon, the Simsbury.

If you want more rural than any of the above towns, look into Granby. However, you might also want to seriously consider Glastonbury. This is a lovely town with a top notch school system, one of the best in the state. It's to the southeast of Hartford and on the other side of the river, but it's a quick commute into Hartford .

I wouldn't think you should have to worry about industrial areas or landfills !

Old 05-02-2013, 07:46 PM

There are many options. I also have to consider traveling back to NY and PA to visit family. I dont want to make the drive longer than it needs to be. I think Glastonbury is a bit further into ct right? We also have a vacation home in pike County PA and we still want to be able to visit there. Also are there any other areas that are commutable to Hartford via train line that have all the qualities I am looking for? Thanks again.. I appreciate all the input!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut