Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 09:09 PM

3,350 posts, read 4,168,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
The downtown is abysmal, has been for a long time and has only gotten worse. I grew up in that area. It is growing (much of that was immigrants) and has a solid economy. Never said it didn't. Growth has happened on the west end lately. Shopping is great if you want chains and malls. No one is disputing that. The thread isn't about Danbury as a whole. I recall in another thread you defending lower FFC downtowns as superior to the Hartford area malls and shopping centers. Which is how Danbury is. Why the change of tone?

Also Danbury is no more of a "city" than Greenwich or Fairfield beyond the form of government. It's very much a suburb with a small urban core.
I vehemently dispute the last sentence. Danbury is much more of a city than Fairfield or Greenwich. More on par with Norwalk- with Danbury recently surpassing on a population basis. No contradictions with my prior statements around FFC downtowns- I stand by my claims which were also town to town comparisons. Not town vs a formal city. When I want to dry clean and meet the neighbors that would be a downtown exercise vs buying an appliance which is generally done at a big box.

Its also worth mentioning that despite my professed love for idyllic downtowns, I have repeatedly been quite tolerant of malls and big box stores in proper proportion. The mall rocks for those of us with small children. More so during cold/inclement weather. I don't want to live in a town plastered with either though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2013, 09:43 PM

21,749 posts, read 28,077,952 times
Not really worth the argument, but as someone that grew up next door to Danbury - most of that city feels town-like. It's half as dense as Norwalk, and even less dense than Fairfield.

I occasionally stop by the Danbury mall. It's one of the best malls in the northeast right now. To me, Danbury just lacks in character and is too isolated from any culture or activity. A lot of people love it. To each their own. If I still lived in that area, I'd be in Bethel or Ridgefield.

Old 11-28-2013, 06:03 AM

3,350 posts, read 4,168,214 times
Wouldn't you select any of the neighboring towns over any of the corresponding cities? Avon or Glastonbury over Hartford? Greenwich or Darien over Stamford? Wood bridge or Milford over New Haven? Fairfield over Bridgeport?

Old 11-28-2013, 11:08 AM

21,749 posts, read 28,077,952 times
Again, I don't classify Danbury like Hartford, Stamford, or New Haven. Danbury is even less dense than where I live now, which is also considered a "city".

Old 03-14-2014, 09:32 PM

95 posts, read 110,985 times
Default Will Downtown Danbury Ever Become A Decent Downtown Again?

Back in the days, Danbury was a bustling city because 90% of the hats were made in Danbury, hence the nickname "Hat City." Waterbury is called "Brass City." Anyways, Downtown Danbury, specifically off Exit 5 is all run-down. I wouldnt buy a house there for $35000. On the other hand, the other parts of Danbury is great! Newtown Road and Federak Road combined create the biggest shopping district in the entire state, knocking out Milford if they are combined. The mall is argubly the best in the state. Mill Plain Road is a busy shopping center also. Danbury nightlife is better than some "other" cities and not dead after 5:00PM. The depressing part is Downtown. How can DD become decent again?

Last edited by Stylo; 03-15-2014 at 09:58 AM.. Reason: Removed borderline racist comment
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut