Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 12:54 PM

51 posts, read 97,775 times

Advertisements

DMV: Investigation Unit

Quote:
A resident of this state who operates a motor vehicle he or she owns with license plates issued by another state shall be fined $1,000.

Have any of you known anyone that has been fined? Seems a bit absurd...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2013, 01:06 PM

11,300 posts, read 18,895,695 times
Well, I think there's a grace period (my guess is something like 30 or 90 days) and I'm not sure how hard it is to catch people. I've seen enough people in numerous states with out-of-state plates (in CT it's to escape the "car tax", in NY to get lower insurance) to think not a lot of people get caught. But I could be wrong.....

Old 05-06-2013, 01:12 PM

21,629 posts, read 31,221,057 times
I've called on neighbors who I knew were lifelong CT residents yet registered in VT where their parents live. Sorry, but if I'm paying hundreds to the municipality, there is no reason why they shouldn't be.

Old 05-06-2013, 01:21 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,791,992 times
It isn't only for avoiding taxes. There are illegal immigrants who use UNregistered plates from other states (often New Jersey but not always), to avoid having to identify themselves in parking lots. What I mean by that is:

When I worked at a fast food joint, there were a couple of illegal immigrants who worked there. We didn't know they were illegal at the time; they produced legitimate SS#s that belong to someone else - and fast food joints don't typically dig too deep in the application process. So they had SS# that were legitimate - but not theirs. They had fake IDs, and real license plates from other states - sometimes stolen off the vehicles and sold on the black market, some of them found in junkyards or on the sides of the roads of abandoned vehicles, and some belonging to someone they knew, who went to the DMV claiming that their license plate was stolen, so they could get a new one reissued, and send the old one to their illegal immigrant pal (for profit, usually).

Unless they get pulled over for an actual MV infraction or get involved in an accident, no one will know the wiser. These people are unregistered, uninsured, and unlicensed drivers, driving cars they bought with cash so there's no paper trail at all.

But yes, it is ALSO people who attempt to avoid taxes. But I just wanted to point out that avoiding taxes isn't the only reason it's done.

Old 05-06-2013, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
It isn't only for avoiding taxes. There are illegal immigrants who use UNregistered plates from other states (often New Jersey but not always), to avoid having to identify themselves in parking lots. What I mean by that is:

When I worked at a fast food joint, there were a couple of illegal immigrants who worked there. We didn't know they were illegal at the time; they produced legitimate SS#s that belong to someone else - and fast food joints don't typically dig too deep in the application process. So they had SS# that were legitimate - but not theirs. They had fake IDs, and real license plates from other states - sometimes stolen off the vehicles and sold on the black market, some of them found in junkyards or on the sides of the roads of abandoned vehicles, and some belonging to someone they knew, who went to the DMV claiming that their license plate was stolen, so they could get a new one reissued, and send the old one to their illegal immigrant pal (for profit, usually).

Unless they get pulled over for an actual MV infraction or get involved in an accident, no one will know the wiser. These people are unregistered, uninsured, and unlicensed drivers, driving cars they bought with cash so there's no paper trail at all.

But yes, it is ALSO people who attempt to avoid taxes. But I just wanted to point out that avoiding taxes isn't the only reason it's done.
Yep. Exactly.

The most popular state for people trying to avoid taxes is Vermont, followed by Florida, simply because they are cheap to register in. So if people own a second home (or their family does), they use that address. This is more common in upper middle class towns.

The most popular state for illegals is South Carolina. It used to be Pennsylvania but lately our state brought it to their attention and they cracked down. This is common in working class and lower class communities.

Old 05-06-2013, 01:33 PM

242 posts, read 351,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Yep. Exactly.

The most popular state for people trying to avoid taxes is Vermont, followed by Florida, simply because they are cheap to register in. So if people own a second home (or their family does), they use that address. This is more common in upper middle class towns.

The most popular state for illegals is South Carolina. It used to be Pennsylvania but lately our state brought it to their attention and they cracked down. This is common in working class and lower class communities.
I've seen the Vermont thing first hand. I was always seeing a Vermont plate on a car driving into the East Catholic HS parking lot when I dropped my son off for school. Seems that the family is from a wealthy east of the river town and they have a second home in Vermont where they registered the kid's car. Definitely not cool, especially since they can afford the taxes.

Old 05-06-2013, 01:46 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,083,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaIceman View Post
I've seen the Vermont thing first hand.... especially since they can afford the taxes.
You would be surprised how many of these folks live paycheck to paycheck. The house is mortgaged, the cars are leased, the furnitiure doesn't exisit, but they sure put on heirs.

The tip-off?

The Vermont plates.

If you have to cheat to save a few hundred bucks that just screams 'living outside of your means' to me.

Old 05-06-2013, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaIceman View Post
I've seen the Vermont thing first hand. I was always seeing a Vermont plate on a car driving into the East Catholic HS parking lot when I dropped my son off for school. Seems that the family is from a wealthy east of the river town and they have a second home in Vermont where they registered the kid's car. Definitely not cool, especially since they can afford the taxes.
Call and report them.

Old 05-07-2013, 05:40 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,785,266 times
I've tried. The state DMV won't do a thing - they say it's the town's problem. The town said they don't have the staffing or the time to deal with these tax cheats - just the time to raise the mil rate. It's very frustrating. In my town, people are saving themselves hundreds, if not thousands a year in tax on expensive late-model cars, while their neighbors are paying their share. Hang out at the drop off for the schools, and watch all the out of state plated cars disgorge children each morning. Or look at the high school student lots, and count all the out of state plates each day. And that's just the ones who have children in school.

Old 05-07-2013, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
I've tried. The state DMV won't do a thing - they say it's the town's problem. The town said they don't have the staffing or the time to deal with these tax cheats - just the time to raise the mil rate. It's very frustrating. In my town, people are saving themselves hundreds, if not thousands a year in tax on expensive late-model cars, while their neighbors are paying their share. Hang out at the drop off for the schools, and watch all the out of state plated cars disgorge children each morning. Or look at the high school student lots, and count all the out of state plates each day. And that's just the ones who have children in school.
That is so frustrating. I'm not sure what town you live in, but I would raise a stink. If the town has the resources to collect the taxes, they should have enough resources to find those who aren't paying them. If enough residents find out about your town's lack of enforcing the regulations, they will probably be bombarded with inquiries and complaints. Write letters to the town clerk, mayor, local newspapers and even post some signs around town. That should do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut