Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 09:48 AM

40 posts, read 128,299 times

Advertisements

I recently moved out to Eastern CT. Are there any good mom & pop bakeries? I am looking for homemade donuts and pies. Anything in Marlborough or surrounding areas? Coming from MD and AZ, originally from OH I miss the mom and pop places that were in OH. Tired of the Franchises I figure they must be hidde somewhere!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2007, 11:01 AM

34,633 posts, read 56,360,262 times
That is one of the few things that this area does not have, good bakeries. Also good delis are few and far between. Coming from the New York City area, to me it was a bit strange since there were (and still are) many small "mom and pop" bakeries. You might need to trek into Hartford for some good bakeries. There are a couple on Franklin Avenue in the south end. I will watch this thread carefully to see if there is something I am missing but I haven't found anything good in the 15 years I have been living east of the river. Jay

Old 11-02-2007, 12:11 PM

3,481 posts, read 9,374,029 times
There is a bakery in Marlborough with the innovative name of....Marlborough Bakery! It is in the plaza on the corner of Rt. 66 (at the only street light, next to the Marlborough tavern).

I just wanted to add, though it is not east of the river, the best donuts I have ever had have been from Neil's Donut and Bake Shop in Wallingford. I used to work near there and if you stop by in the morning the donuts are still warm. Mmmmm... They run traditional bakers hours, i.e. get there at 3 am and close up shop just after lunch. They are also closed on Mondays. If you are ever around Wallingford, do yourself a favor and stop in there.

Last edited by mels; 11-02-2007 at 12:39 PM..

Old 10-06-2010, 07:54 AM

103 posts, read 426,383 times
Colchester Bakery is another one. It's off the main road so you won't find it easily. I don't know if they do donuts though.

Old 10-06-2010, 08:46 AM

173 posts, read 349,329 times
I don't know how far Coventry is from you, but the Coventry Farmer's Market has some of the best pies I've ever eaten. In general, Farmer's Markets might be a good resource for baked goods.

Old 10-06-2010, 09:50 AM

2,080 posts, read 3,901,731 times
Try https://mottasbakery.3dcartstores.com/ travel right down 66 from Marlborough and turn left onto RT 6 in Columbia then quick left right before Columbia Ford- you wont be disappointed!

Old 10-06-2010, 01:08 PM

8,155 posts, read 20,913,501 times
Well since this thread is back on, there is a mom and pop hole in the wall Italian bakery in Manchester that is exactly what you are looking for. They make everything there and their bread is some of the best I've had since leaving Waterbury. In fact, for our wedding reception (We hired a chef to cook on site and she was very impressed with the quality too.) they provided all the bread for it as it's old world and fantastic.

They do pies, desserts, cookies, old world round breads, loaves and on the weekend if you ask for a grinder, the old Italian man will go in the back and bring out a grinder on fresh baked bread with home made roasted cubanella peppers, fresh provolone, and fresh Italian meats. They don't advertise, you have to ask for it.

Iuliano's Bakery
207 Spruce St, Manchester, CT 06040-6159
(860) 643-7956

Iuliano's Bakery - Google Maps

Support these mom and pop places or they won't be here for long. You dont' get the type of food from a chain!

Old 10-06-2010, 03:55 PM

73 posts, read 258,043 times
I think the pies at Bishop's Farm in Guilford are great.... maybe that's just too far to drive for you.

Old 10-10-2010, 09:20 PM

7 posts, read 12,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michie View Post
I recently moved out to Eastern CT. Are there any good mom & pop bakeries? I am looking for homemade donuts and pies. Anything in Marlborough or surrounding areas? Coming from MD and AZ, originally from OH I miss the mom and pop places that were in OH. Tired of the Franchises I figure they must be hidde somewhere!!
Try the Colchester bakery in Colchester

Old 10-12-2010, 03:40 PM

567 posts, read 2,133,262 times
My family likes Modern Bakery in Hartford. Lots of pastry, cakes and Italian ice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut