Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2013, 07:17 AM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPct View Post
Well, your the one being insistent on comparing apples to oranges. Fact is in Ct most people that use the train drive to the train station. None of these mass transit projects talked about for Ct is going to make them change their walking or non walking habits much at all. Not my fault you had to choose my statement to quote when trying to make a point that had almost nothing to do with the subject on hand. Continuinly reminding me that one of my main residence is in beautiful Salisbury Connecticut does not change the fact that that your "point" was misdirected or that I have most likely driven AND walked many more miles in NYC than you have as well.
I do not agree with you on this one. Mass transit does promote walking. People rarely are dropped off near their destination so they have to walk more. Look at New Haven. Hundreds of people come off Metro-North and Shoreline East trains each day and walk to places like Yale-New Haven Hospital, the Yale Nursing School, the Yale Med School, the University and businesses downtown. The new New Haven-Hartford-Springfield project will bring commuter rail service to a large section of the state that does not have it currently. You will likely see even more people who work in New Haven walking from the train as well as people heading into Hartford, Meriden, Wallingford, etc. It is bound to happen and change things. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2013, 09:12 AM

2,256 posts, read 4,497,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I do not agree with you on this one. Mass transit does promote walking. People rarely are dropped off near their destination so they have to walk more. Look at New Haven. Hundreds of people come off Metro-North and Shoreline East trains each day and walk to places like Yale-New Haven Hospital, the Yale Nursing School, the Yale Med School, the University and businesses downtown. The new New Haven-Hartford-Springfield project will bring commuter rail service to a large section of the state that does not have it currently. You will likely see even more people who work in New Haven walking from the train as well as people heading into Hartford, Meriden, Wallingford, etc. It is bound to happen and change things. Jay
Originally Posted by*Nexis4Jersey*. Theres also a growing obesity epidemic which can be tied to laziness and the car culture itself...you can be in denial all you want but their are legit reasons to pour more into Mass Transit.

People using metro north walk NO WHERE near the levels of the average NYCer. Everybody walks some. Whether its to the bathroom, to the car, or from their car to the train. Its the parking lots that are so crowded at the train stations in Ct. That metro north rider your talking of prob takes mutiple months to approach the amount of walking the normal NYCer does in a week. Upgrading/adding train services in Ct is not going to jump many Numeggers pedometer into the next stratosphere.

Old 05-25-2013, 09:01 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,135,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by*Nexis4Jersey*. Theres also a growing obesity epidemic which can be tied to laziness and the car culture itself...you can be in denial all you want but their are legit reasons to pour more into Mass Transit.

People using metro north walk NO WHERE near the levels of the average NYCer. Everybody walks some. Whether its to the bathroom, to the car, or from their car to the train. Its the parking lots that are so crowded at the train stations in Ct. That metro north rider your talking of prob takes mutiple months to approach the amount of walking the normal NYCer does in a week. Upgrading/adding train services in Ct is not going to jump many Numeggers pedometer into the next stratosphere.
Most days when I go in to the city, I walk from Grand Central to 33rd Between 5th and 6th. That's a half mile walk each way before I walk to lunch, etc. That's a mile more than someone who doesn't take MN into the city will walk that day, on average.

Old 05-25-2013, 08:59 PM

10,088 posts, read 14,959,511 times
I don't work in NYC, so my visits are all for leisure. Regardless if I drive or take the train to Grand Central, a walk quite a lot, especially when I go to photograph around town. I would spend a day walking from Midtown all the way down to Greenwich Village and then walk back up to Midtown. This is mostly meandering from one random street to another, taking short restroom and restaurant/eating breaks or simply sitting in one of the benches in one of the public squares and parks and doing some people watching/taking interesting photos of people doing stuff.

I prefer to walk from the moment I arrive at Grand Central (or park my car) to the moment I'm ready to leave. Its the best way of capturing unique shots, because often times the best photogenic scenes are the one's that were not planned.

Old 05-26-2013, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
I don't work in NYC, so my visits are all for leisure. Regardless if I drive or take the train to Grand Central, a walk quite a lot, especially when I go to photograph around town. I would spend a day walking from Midtown all the way down to Greenwich Village and then walk back up to Midtown. This is mostly meandering from one random street to another, taking short restroom and restaurant/eating breaks or simply sitting in one of the benches in one of the public squares and parks and doing some people watching/taking interesting photos of people doing stuff.

I prefer to walk from the moment I arrive at Grand Central (or park my car) to the moment I'm ready to leave. Its the best way of capturing unique shots, because often times the best photogenic scenes are the one's that were not planned.
Exactly.. but people wont be changing to those kind of walking habits because of a few rail/bus upgardes in Ct. NYC is a different animal and you certainly cant use "the laziness and obesity" of so many americans as a pro arguement for more rail/bus development in Ct. The minimal cahnges in Ct mass transit is not going to correlate in a major health change for Nutmeggers.

Old 05-26-2013, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Most days when I go in to the city, I walk from Grand Central to 33rd Between 5th and 6th. That's a half mile walk each way before I walk to lunch, etc. That's a mile more than someone who doesn't take MN into the city will walk that day, on average.

We're talking about Ct.. not grand central or NYC.. alt least we werent until someone let the thread go 1000 miles off topic.

Old 05-26-2013, 02:50 PM

3,350 posts, read 4,168,214 times
Isnt Connecticut already one of the healthiest states despite the limited use of mass transit, particularly ibtrastate.

Old 05-26-2013, 04:24 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,135,783 times
Quote:
We're talking about Ct.. not grand central or NYC.. alt least we werent until someone let the thread go 1000 miles off topic.
If you move the goal posts far enough, eventually you'll be right.

Old 05-27-2013, 08:34 AM

[QUOOriginally Posted by*Nexis4Jersey*. Theres also a growing obesity epidemic which can be tied to laziness and the car culture itself...you can be in denial all you want but their are legit reasons to pour more into Mass Transit. E=mlassoff;29740239]If you move the goal posts far enough, eventually you'll be right.

[/quote]

I never "moved the goalposts" look back at the original comment that started the "adding to the reasons for upgrading mass transit in Ct that people are lazy and obese".

Your the one going even more and more off topic than the original post and talkng about what happens around Grand Central.

... .

Old 05-28-2013, 08:55 AM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times
Please return to the topic of the original post. JayCT, Moderator
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut