Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 09:11 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,947,273 times

Advertisements

Driving to work this morning, I saw something I had never seen before. A guy on a bicycle blew by a school bus with flashing red lights. I know I shouldn't be that surprised, as I rarely see them stop at traffic lights or stop signs, but this was pretty brazen. Luckily no kids were hurt, but it got me thinking - why do we not require adult bicyclists who use the roads to be licensed and registered?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 09:41 AM

879 posts, read 1,661,093 times
I'd be on board with it as a cyclist myself. I'm sick of people riding around NOT following the traffic laws as they're supposed to. All that does is confuse drivers, who have no idea what to expect a cyclist to do.

Old 05-21-2013, 09:49 AM

21,623 posts, read 31,221,057 times
I am sorry but people on bicycles really frustrate me sometimes. Yesterday I was driving down Limewood Ave in Branford, and traffic was steady but not busy. Two bicyclists were riding side by side and it was very difficult and dangerous for anyone to pass them (Limewood has curves and is very narrow). We finally got to the stop sign where they stopped. I pulled up beside them and asked if they minded letting the line of 6 or 7 cars behind them pass before they proceed. They did and were nice about it, and I thanked them, but it was frustrating nonetheless.

Every other mode of transportation > bicycles.

Old 05-21-2013, 11:50 AM

442 posts, read 456,176 times
I love biking and I am appalled at the attitudes of so many cyclists! I constantly see them blowing through stop signs, red lights, etc.

That being said, I think there need to be major improvements done to make cycling safer for everyone, i.e. bike roads where possible and signage along heavily cycled routes.

Re: registering and licensing bicycles. Don't give them (politicians) any ideas! They'll just take the money and not put it to good use.

Old 05-21-2013, 12:22 PM

470 posts, read 1,665,985 times
I just really wish that the police would do something about all the cyclists who think it's prefectly okay to fly down the sidewalks downtown in Hartford. It becomes really irritating when you almost get hit by bikes 3-4 times on your lunch break when you are just going for a walk.

Old 05-21-2013, 12:42 PM

21,623 posts, read 31,221,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Scorcho View Post
That being said, I think there need to be major improvements done to make cycling safer for everyone, i.e. bike roads where possible and signage along heavily cycled routes.

Re: registering and licensing bicycles. Don't give them (politicians) any ideas! They'll just take the money and not put it to good use.
Agreed on both. Some bikers have a great attitude toward fellow motorists, but many, not so much.

Old 05-22-2013, 09:40 AM

588 posts, read 1,872,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I am sorry but people on bicycles really frustrate me sometimes. Yesterday I was driving down Limewood Ave in Branford, and traffic was steady but not busy. Two bicyclists were riding side by side and it was very difficult and dangerous for anyone to pass them (Limewood has curves and is very narrow). We finally got to the stop sign where they stopped. I pulled up beside them and asked if they minded letting the line of 6 or 7 cars behind them pass before they proceed. They did and were nice about it, and I thanked them, but it was frustrating nonetheless.

Every other mode of transportation > bicycles.
Good for you! That's shocking on both sides - most people aren't respectful of cyclists, and most cyclists are flat out antagonistic towards drivers. Not really sure why many cyclists feel that when they are on the road they get to do what they want when they want to, and everyone else be damned. I've rarely seen any respect the rules of the road.

Sure would be nice to have some space on roads to share with the cars...short of a few local roads I wouldn't feel safe biking with my kids even with them in a bike seat anywhere in town.

Old 05-22-2013, 07:32 PM

10,109 posts, read 14,980,095 times
What I really hate are the cyclists that think they can actually occupy an entire lane (they usually cruise in the middle of the lane as if they are on a motorcycle or something), unnecessarily slowing down traffic. Plenty of cyclists should be grateful that I have plenty of self control, because if that wasn't the case I would had given in to the urge at stepping on the gas and forcefully take them off the road for good!

I often wonder if annoying cyclists complain of other cyclists when its their turn to be behind the wheel and an annoying cyclist!

Old 05-23-2013, 04:52 PM

1,348 posts, read 3,100,582 times
Legally, you're a vehicle and are expected to follow all the same rules as if you were in a car. Also, the law may say something like riding "as far to the right as practicable" - something that many don't realize is that the word "practicable" has a specific meaning, and it does NOT mean that you're required to put yourself in danger to make way for cars.

It's up to YOU to decide where the safest place in the road to be is. If there are sewers, potholes, loose gravel or sand, glass, debris, roadkill, sticks, whatever, you're not required to ride through them. You're not required to ride so close to parked cars that someone can throw a door open and injure (or even kill) you. You're not required to squeeze to the curb to let someone pass when there's not really room for you and the car to safely pass within the lane.

Old 05-23-2013, 09:03 PM

4,320 posts, read 4,208,951 times
I find CT and suburbs in general, extremely dangerous to ride in. Speeds are much greater than in the city.

Poster above is right though -- although un-motorized, bicycles are still considered vehicles, and traffic enforcement has jurisdiction over cyclists. I still have an open court date for running a red light. Fine is $ 270 plus court fees, total about $ 330.

Another rule -- motorists must maintain a minimum 5 feet clearance from bicycles.

Oh the the fella that feels the urge to run over cyclists -- if they deserve it, you can curse them to no end. However, cyclists need to be defended -- they are much smaller!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut