Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 08:28 PM

1,087 posts, read 1,386,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Eh.

I know that in many European countries that the NY Times would fawn upon, zoning is used to preserve character and identity - not as snobbery or elitism.

In the case of Darien or Roxbury, this choice is not racist or anti-poor. I'm sorry, but if they built a ton of condos in Darien - they'd still be ultra expensive. And Roxbury is a rural town with no commercial/industrial presence and a long rural/farming history. Why would anyone want to change that in the name of affordable housing? It also is a place with zero public transportation.

I personally don't agree with the article.
I agree, you should leave my farm town alone. The cities create all these problems and then try to push the problem out into our small town USA communities. Keep the city the city and the country side the country side. Let the people choose where they would most like to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2014, 10:02 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,131,290 times
I am of two minds on this...

Zoning should preserve the character and livability of the towns. And I couldn't agree more that low income housing has primarily benefitted the developers trying to sell more units in suburban towns. Where I get off the train is that a town is more than the homes, shops and schools.

Many of my friends would like to move back to Westport-- and it's good for a town to have multi-generational continuity. However, the opportunity is often limited to those who are financially successful to an extreme, or have intergenerational money. In that we don't have kids and can live in a small space we are lucky. For my friends with kids, they have moved out of Brooklyn, but have ended up in less expensive areas within commuting distance of the city-- New Jersey, etc.

I think the lack of affordable (not for the poor-- but for the middle class) housing can be a detriment to some extent in many towns.

There is one other interesting irony here-- Cost of housing is the number one factor in COL anywhere-- Yet its the same people who SCREAM at the top of their lungs about Connecticut COL support (sometimes) overly restrictive zoning that drives up housing costs.

Old 10-31-2014, 05:19 AM

287 posts, read 623,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post

Many of my friends would like to move back to Westport-- and it's good for a town to have multi-generational continuity. However, the opportunity is often limited to those who are financially successful to an extreme, or have intergenerational money.
I think most people would agree with me that just because a person grew up in Westport doesn't mean they're entitled to own a home and/or live there as an adult. If anything, the superior educational experience in WPS (or any other town nearby, not just Wspt), should give them the boost to get a salary necessary for buying in town.

Old 10-31-2014, 07:17 AM

1,929 posts, read 2,037,963 times
I really don't understand why Roxbury is a factor in this discussion. It's so far off the grid as to be a marginal choice for commuting purposes. There is no industry there; hasn't been for decades. And if you do need or want to live in the area on a relatively modest income, you can go rent in New Milford or Woodbury, which are still great country communities that happen to be closer to conveniences.

The regional district that serves Roxbury is seeing plummeting enrollment - one of the elementary schools is expected to have a single kindergartner next year - but again, why would a family live there over one of the competing, lower cost towns with more amenities?

Old 10-31-2014, 08:16 AM

Here is what I think. I think the northeast is becoming more and more self righteous and elitist. Also what do you mean by poor? I'm not a rich guy but have a home to live in, my bills paid every month, food on the table and money saved in 401k. I've only made between 50-62k through out my career so does that mean I'm poor?

Also what's wrong with affordable housing? What's wrong with the school teacher, paramedic, police officer, mechanic, plumber, or electrician being able to afford home? Think about what some are saying, people should go to college so they can be able to afford to buy a home in Westport.

To me that's saying people should go to grad school which will leave you 80k in debt or more, then we suggest they should buy a 700,000 dollar home which will leave you with 700,000 in debt. So you get your masters degree, a huge house that's pushing the limits of your budget, then you go out in the world to work, become an indentured servant to the bank, find out you hate your job and wanna do something else or your company downsizes and you get laid off.

So now you have all this debt, no good job, and the only reason why you ever put yourself into this position in the first place is to impress others.

Old 10-31-2014, 08:18 AM

Here is what I think. I think the northeast is becoming more and more self righteous and elitist. Also what do you mean by poor? I'm not a rich guy but have a home to live in, my bills paid every month, food on the table and money saved in 401k. I've only made between 50-62k through out my career so does that mean I'm poor?

Also what's wrong with affordable housing? What's wrong with the school teacher, paramedic, police officer, mechanic, plumber, or electrician being able to afford home? Think about what some are saying, people should go to college so they can be able to afford to buy a home in Westport.

To me that's saying people should go to grad school which will leave you 80k in debt or more, then we suggest they should buy a 700,000 dollar home which will leave you with 700,000 in debt. So you get your masters degree, a huge house that's pushing the limits of your budget, then you go out in the world to work, become an indentured servant to the bank, find out you hate your job and wanna do something else or your company downsizes and you get laid off.

So now you have all this debt, no good job, and the only reason why you ever put yourself into this position in the first place is to impress others.

Old 10-31-2014, 11:46 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,131,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whome224 View Post
I think most people would agree with me that just because a person grew up in Westport doesn't mean they're entitled to own a home and/or live there as an adult. If anything, the superior educational experience in WPS (or any other town nearby, not just Wspt), should give them the boost to get a salary necessary for buying in town.
The superior educational experience in Westport also encourages students to follow their passion, not just the pursuit of money.

I really disagree with your post. Fairfield offers a more diverse range of housing options-- and many people I know who grew up there are still there. It's healthy for the town, good for families, etc. No one is entitled to own a home anywhere, but, I'm not sure becoming a teacher, university professor, or, in realty, most professions besides doctor and lawyer, should exclude you from living where you grew up.

Old 11-01-2014, 05:53 AM

287 posts, read 623,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
I really disagree with your post. Fairfield offers a more diverse range of housing options-- and many people I know who grew up there are still there. It's healthy for the town, good for families, etc. No one is entitled to own a home anywhere, but, I'm not sure becoming a teacher, university professor, or, in realty, most professions besides doctor and lawyer, should exclude you from living where you grew up.
Good news for former Westport residents though - there are plans for the Westport Inn to become a 5-story residential building with ~60 affordable units. Sounds like a great way to get former residents back in this developed town, right mlassoff?

Old 11-01-2014, 04:42 PM

2,358 posts, read 2,181,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whome224 View Post
Good news for former Westport residents though - there are plans for the Westport Inn to become a 5-story residential building with ~60 affordable units. Sounds like a great way to get former residents back in this developed town, right mlassoff?
Wow the amount of snark I sense in this post. Do you know what was next to the Westport Inn not too long ago? A trailer park. A god to honest trailer park. On the other side of the street a Goodwill and a Stop and Shop. It's not like the Post Road near Southport was ever shinny and free of high density, and let's be honest the new development will not be catered to needy Bridgeport families (that are despised by many in this forum) but rather upper middle class "luxury" apartments. And besides its not unprecedented in Westport, it has it's "other side of the tracks" part of town like many others. The elitism and exclusinary mindset is palpable but thankfully (while louder) a minority in great towns such as Greenwich, Westport, and Fairfield.

Old 11-01-2014, 06:13 PM

I'm not a big fan of this elitism either, there was just an article released on CNN-money that people in the city of San Francisco are being forced out do to the high paid tech workers who keep rising rents and the greedy landlords who clear out their buildings and then turn around and sell them as expensive condos under the Ellis Act.

And these aren't poor people being forced out, these are college educated school teachers and such who's salaries are nowhere near that of a tech worker.

So here we are one nation under God that's now divided. I cannot wait until the elections, I'm going to vote every liberal progressive right out office.

So the school teachers, the police officers, the people who make communities better through education and public safety are being forced out by the new American, the Millenial self- righteous elitist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut