Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 09:06 AM

363 posts, read 635,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnNative View Post
Sometimes I feel like a fish out of water in this state.
Don't worry, there are still a couple of us fish with common sense and old world thinking in this state. However I would have been long gone if it weren't for my wife refusing to leave this state because she doesn't want to leave family behind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2013, 09:06 AM

249 posts, read 354,604 times
I think you should be a legal citizen of the country before you can get a driver's license. A social security card should be a requirement to get a driver's license, IMO.

Old 05-30-2013, 09:10 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,861,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Why should it be federal when driving licenses are issued by state governments?

Because it is a "homeland security" issue. It's up to the feds to address illegals, not the states. IMHO.

Old 05-30-2013, 09:11 AM

6,500 posts, read 6,036,001 times
Its mind boggling that our government does little to secure our borders, gives ILLEGALS privileges to those who aren't even supposed to be here, and ignore enforcing the laws they wish to ignore.

Old 05-30-2013, 09:12 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,947,442 times
Man, they get everything. In-state tuition rates, healthcare benefits, and now a driver's license?!?

Old 05-30-2013, 09:15 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,496,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Why should it be federal when driving licenses are issued by state governments?
Because DL's are given to citizens of a state who pay taxes for things like our roads and infrastructure. These people are not citizens, they just vote like them.

The problem with illegals is a complex one that should be handled on multiple levels. Broad laws and regulations by the government that can then be tweaked at a state level would make the most sense. I have no issue with someone who is here illegally and working hard earning citizenship, but the issue lies with the process of obtaining it. It is broken and flawed and needs a MAJOR restructuring. Once that is correct you can fast-path people who have been here, work on individual cases based on their scenarios, and work to get someone's family here as well so that they are not sending money back over the border to support them in another country instead of bolstering their local economy.

Nobody wants to tackle it because they are too shy and don't want to hurt anybody's feelings.

Old 05-30-2013, 09:26 AM

123 posts, read 166,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FILF View Post
Don't worry, there are still a couple of us fish with common sense and old world thinking in this state. However I would have been long gone if it weren't for my wife refusing to leave this state because she doesn't want to leave family behind.
Same here, except it's my husband's family. My parents both passed away. I love my in-laws, so I don't mind but eventually I think we will move. Just not sure I want to be a "Yankee" down South!

Old 05-30-2013, 09:29 AM

3,350 posts, read 4,168,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keekski View Post
I think you should be a legal citizen of the country before you can get a driver's license. A social security card should be a requirement to get a driver's license, IMO.
You can actually get a social security card with a work visa.

Old 05-30-2013, 09:34 AM

627 posts, read 1,058,342 times
You're kidding yourself if you think these people aren't driving without licenses already.

Old 05-30-2013, 09:42 AM

123 posts, read 166,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackfu View Post
You're kidding yourself if you think these people aren't driving without licenses already.
Right, which means they are driving without insurance too. So how does this legislation change anything? What is in it for them since they won't become legal citizens anyway. Just opens up more problems for them I would think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut