Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 10:26 AM

109 posts, read 159,993 times

Advertisements

I say go ahead and bake cookies for the neighbor that mowed the lawn. Its the thought that counts, and so many people don't bother to cook anything these days that home-baked goodies can be a real treat! Even if they don't want to eat them for whatever reason, I'm sure they would be touched at your thoughtfulness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2013, 10:28 AM

83,332 posts, read 74,672,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplesque View Post
we have a few older people in this neighborhood and I suspect some diabetes. .
It's almost like bringing a box of hard liquor to someone. Nice gesture and great for summer mix drinks but little did you know they are a recovering alchoholic.

I think Jay wants you to Bring a box of Cigarettes to him.

One neighbor brought me a Ham. LOL. Even if I was a vegetarian, I would of seen it as a nice gesture. Don't worry what you bring. Just remember my 2nd rule.

Old 05-31-2013, 10:35 AM

142 posts, read 267,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Csiko View Post
I'd introduce yourself without the food altogether. I'm a friendly person, but I'd be concerned about eating food from someone bringing it to my door as a peace offering. I do like Camb's idea though, but primarily because something like cheese, nuts, chocolate are all store-bought generally. You can do that, even store bought cookies on a nice tray. But I dunno how you prepare food, how clean you are, how sick you may be.

To be honest, I probably would still eat homemade cookies from a new neighbor, but I have a lead stomach. Most people I know don't, get sick or scheeved out easily.
Oh wow..I didn't even think of that. I constantly take food to work and eat what other people bring in, even patients! (I work at an inner city clinic.) But again, I'm probably too laid back..

Old 05-31-2013, 10:44 AM

109 posts, read 159,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Csiko View Post
I'd introduce yourself without the food altogether. I'm a friendly person, but I'd be concerned about eating food from someone bringing it to my door as a peace offering. I do like Camb's idea though, but primarily because something like cheese, nuts, chocolate are all store-bought generally. You can do that, even store bought cookies on a nice tray. But I dunno how you prepare food, how clean you are, how sick you may be.

To be honest, I probably would still eat homemade cookies from a new neighbor, but I have a lead stomach. Most people I know don't, get sick or scheeved out easily.

Just to be boring here ( I run a home-based food business), but homebaked cookies are probably one of the safer things you can eat . They've been cooked, they don't require refrigeration, sugar is a great preservative, and they are low moisture. Even if someone touched them with less than clean hands after they were baked they are still a poor environment for anything nasty to breed

Chopped melon tho is a completely different matter...........something I'm always wary of unless I've prepped it myself.

Old 05-31-2013, 10:46 AM

1,195 posts, read 1,616,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
You know, I am getting kind of sick of the health consious crap (yes crap). It has become the new political correctness. A simple plate of homemade cookies should not be viewed as someone trying to poison someone else. It should be viewed as an act of kindness. Eating a couple of cookies is not going to kill you (unless you have serious allergies or are diabetic, which most people do not) but some people nowadays treat it as if it will. As you can guess I have been dealing with several people who have become finatic about this and am growing weary of dealing with them. To the OP, do the cookies and do not worry if the people can not eat them. Most people can and will accept them as a gesture of kindness and appreciation. Jay
Totally, Jay!

I grew up in the 80s and 90s and never had a friend with a food allergy, now kids go to schools with a list of foods they're not allowed to eat, taped to them.

I read a study that said something like 30% of adults self diagnose that they have a food allergy but only 3% verifiably do.

Either people are hypochondriacs, simply don't like certain foods, or we have some sort of massive diet related health crisis that has occurred in the last 20-30 years.

Old 05-31-2013, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by awt1972 View Post
Just to be boring here ( I run a home-based food business), but homebaked cookies are probably one of the safer things you can eat . They've been cooked, they don't require refrigeration, sugar is a great preservative, and they are low moisture. Even if someone touched them with less than clean hands after they were baked they are still a poor environment for anything nasty to breed

Chopped melon tho is a completely different matter...........something I'm always wary of unless I've prepped it myself.
Sounds good to me- I avoid serving chopped fruit and vegetables, even store brought. But some local apples, pears and those glorious peaches they have at Stop n Shop these days..

Old 05-31-2013, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post

I think Jay wants you to Bring a box of Cigarettes to him.

Just remember my 2nd rule.
Jay has been one of the most helpful commenters on all my posts since we moved to CT two years ago- if he were my neighbor we'd get along famously! (Though I'd be one of those PC fanatics pestering him to stop smoking.)

2nd rule! Always!

Old 05-31-2013, 11:08 AM

21,553 posts, read 30,976,392 times
I'm a pretty health conscious person but I would dive into a plate of warm chocolate chip cookies!

Purple, you probably don't need to do the cookies. Just knocking on doors and introducing yourself, and giving out your number in case they need anything would take most people by surprise.

When we moved into our neighborhood, we first met all of the neighbors and then a few weeks later, once we were settled in, had all of them over for a cookout on a nice day. To this day, we have pizza Thursdays with all of our neighbors, from those with small kids to senior citizens a few houses down.

My neighborhood is awesome. That being said, want to buy my house?

Old 05-31-2013, 11:15 AM

83,332 posts, read 74,672,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
That being said, want to buy my house?
Only if you have a batch of Homemade cookies at the open house.

Old 05-31-2013, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I'm a pretty health conscious person but I would dive into a plate of warm chocolate cookies!

Purple, you probably don't need to do the cookies. Just knocking on doors and introducing yourself, and giving out your number in case they need anything would take most people by surprise.

When we moved into our neighborhood, we first met all of the neighbors and then a few weeks later, once we were settled in, had all of them over for a cookout on a nice day. To this day, we have pizza Thursdays with all of our neighbors, from those with small kids to senior citizens a few houses down.

My neighborhood is awesome. That being said, want to buy my house?
Ha ha..we just bought a house. I'm too broke to buy a new pen right now.

One of the neighbors (the one who's doing the floors) has been living here the longest, and was feeling sad about the fact that the new people who've been moving in haven't been as engaging. Thinking from their perspective, it would suck to have friends/neighbors leave over the years and lose that neighborhood feel.

A cook-out/neighborhood party/sip n see type thing a couple of months down the line would be great. The guy next door gave us a list of all the neighbors on our street, and it seems like a nice mix of young/old/couples/families.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut