Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 07:14 AM

5 posts, read 12,285 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

My family is beginning to look at houses in the Vernon area, and we are very interested in Coventry. We have a young child and have heard that the Coventry school systems are great. I do not want to live in a very congested area, however I do commute to Hartford for work, so I figured this location would be ideal. Does anyone familiar with the area have any thoughts on what it is like to live there? My priorities in choosing a town to live in are the school system and the ability to lead a more relaxed life in a more country setting.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2013, 07:44 AM

13,324 posts, read 26,800,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT1205 View Post
Does anyone familiar with the area have any thoughts on what it is like to live there? My priorities in choosing a town to live in are the school system and the ability to lead a more relaxed life in a more country setting.
I'd suggest staying away from the lake and away from anywhere the students rent. When I lived there as a student, there were issues with septic systems. Many houses were poorly insulated and had to be heated with expensive propane. However, if you can find a new or well-renovated house, you might be able to relax. There were some lovely old homes with acreage.

I don't know personally about the school system. The ratings on Greatschools.org are a mixed bag-- the elementary and middle schools are OK, and high school is only 5 of 10. If you want better schools, Glastonbury is consistently higher.

Old 06-01-2013, 08:15 AM

1,395 posts, read 1,495,993 times
Nice town but has issues. I have a close friend that lives there. I don't know about the school system. I have been told from my close friend that there are major drug issues in the town. He works in Hartford and says the commute isnt to bad but 84 can be terrible traffic wise.

There are many nicer towns in the area. I wouldn't live there personally. There are a lot of redneck type people there.

How about the news out of the town. Latest news is the fire chief impregnated a teenage volunteer firefighter.

Coventry, Connecticut News | WTNH.com Connecticut

Old 06-01-2013, 08:17 AM

Thank you for that info! I was wondering if there were many students who stayed in Coventry and how that would work out. I don't really want to raise my child in a big party atmosphere Do you know if any areas of Coventry seem better, such as the northern side closer to Tolland? And were the septic issues just near the lake area, or all over town? Also, if you are familiar with any other towns closer to the end of 384, I would be interested in your opinion. I wanted to be a little further away from the city than Glastonbury, but maybe we could check it out just to see!! Thanks again!

Old 06-01-2013, 08:21 AM

Thank you Brian! I do actually remember hearing that story now that you brought it up, but I had forgotten about it...could you suggest any specific towns around that area that may have a better reputation? Maybe Tolland, Bolton, etc.? I grew up on the west side of the river so I do not know how these towns really are. Thank you again for your help!!!

Old 06-01-2013, 08:42 AM

1,395 posts, read 1,495,993 times
I would stay way from any area near the lake. Uconn is close by and there are many student rentals in the area. It also seems to be where the crime issues are.

The northern part is a nice area. Personally I would live in Tolland if I had to choose a town in the area.

I really don't know about the schools system but I have heard that the Mansfield school district ranks up there with the Farifield County towns.

Old 06-01-2013, 08:44 AM

13,324 posts, read 26,800,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT1205 View Post
Do you know if any areas of Coventry seem better, such as the northern side closer to Tolland? And were the septic issues just near the lake area, or all over town?
Regarding the septic systems, obviously the one near the lake were over-taxed. If you find a larger property on one or two acres, I would suggest having a septic inspection. I have no idea about the septic systems all over town, but there were many rocky areas and swampy areas. There is a sewer system available now, but I can't locate a map.

I can't isolate the nicer areas, except to suggest looking for a larger acreage property, maybe the north end along Route 6. The end closest to Willimantic was trashy.

Personally, I would prefer to be further out, in Willington or Woodstock, but that may be too far for you.

Last edited by goldenage1; 06-01-2013 at 08:58 AM..

Old 06-01-2013, 08:53 AM

Thank you both for the info! I will start checking out Tolland as it seems it would be a better area to raise a family from what you both have said

Old 06-01-2013, 09:00 AM

21,528 posts, read 30,936,665 times
Nice, country town with great schools near Hartford?

Marlborough.

Old 06-02-2013, 12:53 PM

209 posts, read 605,963 times
I have a couple dear friends that live in Coventry. They have a nice piece of land and a darling country house. They are in walking distance to the lake and have nice neighbors. I have heard of drugs being connected to one of her neighbors. (one of the neighbors now ex husband I believe was dealing and he no longer lives there). There are also some people here and there that do seem kind of white trashy. However, that aside its a cute little place in the country that's a bit away from big box stores so you kind of feel like you are away from it all. That being said and depending on what your budget is you might be able to do better in one of the other towns that folks in the forum suggested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut