Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2013, 04:38 AM

83,518 posts, read 75,307,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
That won't help at all, because the people will still be going TO wherever it is they're going now, that's creating the bottlenecks. To NYC, through NYC, to Westchester County, through Westchester County. And no matter where you put them, they'll still have to travel on the same parts of highway in the same towns at the same time of day, creating the same problems.
Do you really think if people moved to Windham county they'll still be travelling on I-95 in Fairfield county???? My thought was hypothetical Im sure you knew that.

But if we can spread out the population and create jobs then just imagine how much space will clear up on the roads. Some might get more congested but the "main" issues will be solved.

I think one day in the future we will be seeing a 10 Lane interstate in CT. Something tells me if we're not going to control population or add borders, thats pretty much the answer. Or create an upper level for cars on both levels. But I seriously dont think CT is going for a NYC look.

I actually like the looks of this idea though. An area to walk or bike through, a lower track for a train or 2 levels for cars. This would be cool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2013, 07:01 AM

4,318 posts, read 4,206,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
I think one day in the future we will be seeing a 10 Lane interstate in CT. Something tells me if we're not going to control population or add borders, thats pretty much the answer. Or create an upper level for cars on both levels. But I seriously dont think CT is going for a NYC look.

I actually like the looks of this idea though. An area to walk or bike through, a lower track for a train or 2 levels for cars. This would be cool.
Yep, 2 level for cars, 6 lanes x 2 = 12 lanes. Or even 10. That would almost double the capacity. I am sure designers / planners would design cool features, for example lighting, advertising, digital displays, bicycle lanes, etc.

Trains already have their own tracks.

Old 07-27-2013, 11:16 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
There's still only one exit ramp, on those exits. Merging traffic still has to merge, and people travelling through the city or to the city aren't going to stop doing that. Moving people away from the jobs they're already occupying can't solve the problem. Moving people CLOSER to the jobs they're already occupying can.

Old 07-27-2013, 01:36 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,206,946 times
Quote:
There's still only one exit ramp, on those exits. Merging traffic still has to merge, and people travelling through the city or to the city aren't going to stop doing that. Moving people away from the jobs they're already occupying can't solve the problem. Moving people CLOSER to the jobs they're already occupying can.
Hmmmm....so essentially you are saying I should quit my job I have been at for 26 years just like that because I live too far away from it? We moved to CT to be closer to my family and aging Mom after my Dad died. I dont exactly have a transferrable job and the places in my field of work here dont pay anything close to what I worked so hard to get to in Westchester. Sure I would LOVE to not have to commute but right now I dont have too much choice. Sorry but I still think your comments are a little insensitive. Everyone has thier own reasons why they have to commute.....dont be condescending please.

Old 07-27-2013, 01:47 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmdealerguy View Post
Hmmmm....so essentially you are saying I should quit my job I have been at for 26 years just like that because I live too far away from it? We moved to CT to be closer to my family and aging Mom after my Dad died. I dont exactly have a transferrable job and the places in my field of work here dont pay anything close to what I worked so hard to get to in Westchester. Sure I would LOVE to not have to commute but right now I dont have too much choice. Sorry but I still think your comments are a little insensitive. Everyone has thier own reasons why they have to commute.....dont be condescending please.
No, I'm not saying that. I am saying this:

IF you live away from your work area
AND
If you drive the highway to and from work
AND
If you feel that traffic on that highway is a problem
THEN
You are part of the problem
AND
You could be part of the solution by either moving closer to work,
OR
Working closer to home.

AND IF
You aren't willing to do either
WHILE
all the above is true
THEN
you really have no room to complain that there's a problem.

Old 07-28-2013, 11:35 AM

NEW HAVEN, Conn. (WTNH)-- The Connecticut Department of Transportation has announced that construction related to the traffic shifts, on I-95 southbound and the I-91 southbound connection to I-95 southbound, has been completed on Sunday morning.

The completion was ahead of schedule in that it was expected to be finished at 6 AM Monday.

WTNH.com

Old 07-28-2013, 11:58 AM

21,752 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post

But if we can spread out the population and create jobs then just imagine how much space will clear up on the roads. Some might get more congested but the "main" issues will be solved.
Spreading out is the opposite answer IMO. We need better concentrated job centers around transit, aka TOD. Stamford, South Norwalk, Bridgeport, New Haven, and soon to be Hartford once the commuter train is launched up there.

On top of that, we need more TOD housing, and need to fix the parking issue at most stations. And perhaps improvements to rail so there's more true express trains from station-to-station, and also upgrade the tracks to up the speed a bit.

As far as job creation, that's the way to solve it. That'll actually make our cities more desirable to work in and to have businesses in, whereas pushing jobs out to the distant suburbs is a tough proposition for everyone.

Old 07-28-2013, 01:25 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,137,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Spreading out is the opposite answer IMO. We need better concentrated job centers around transit, aka TOD. Stamford, South Norwalk, Bridgeport, New Haven, and soon to be Hartford once the commuter train is launched up there.
Yup.

Old 07-28-2013, 01:28 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,137,017 times
Quote:
No, I'm not saying that. I am saying this:

IF you live away from your work area
AND
If you drive the highway to and from work
AND
If you feel that traffic on that highway is a problem
THEN
You are part of the problem
AND
You could be part of the solution by either moving closer to work,
OR
Working closer to home.

AND IF
You aren't willing to do either
WHILE
all the above is true
THEN
you really have no room to complain that there's a problem.

If jobs were available everywhere, I think this might be a realistic perspective. However if you're a corporate attorney living in East Hampton, it's doubtful you'll find work there. If you're a computer programmer living in Willington, you're probably going to have to travel for work. People choose where they live for a myraid of reasons.

All things being equal, our offices should be in NYC or Boston, but we have made sacrifice and choices to office in Bridgeport and live near by. My partner works for the UN and commutes form Westport... How would we decide where to live if we wanted to be part of the solution?

Old 07-28-2013, 01:33 PM

Sunday 3:15 PM. No accidents. No construction. No wind. No rain.

#overpopulated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut