Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 10:27 PM

5 posts, read 4,479 times

Advertisements

Thanks Trish for pointing out my obvious exaggeration. I do love that Northeastern sarcasm--I'll always have that. And thanks to Nep321for putting it in much better terms. I am obviously frustrated with CT. I would consider myself fairly liberal, but I live in MD and it's so liberal here--way over the top.

Just 1 more thing--after living in Maryland for about 11 years and still visiting CT, I have discovered how RACIST people are in the Northeast. I really don't hear much of that down here (and we are technically past the Mason-Dixon line). So, every time I go to CT and hear friends or random people in public places make racist comments, I absolutely cringe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2011, 10:33 PM

Hey Nep321--I just noticed you are located in Middletown, CT. I was born there and lived there until I was 12, then we moved to the ever exciting Portland all the way over the bridge

Old 09-22-2011, 05:47 AM

8,155 posts, read 20,999,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy Williams View Post
Are you people kidding me? I lived in CT most of my life and if I didn't have family & friends there I would never step in that state again! CT has the WORST traffic I have ever seen and I currently live in the Baltimore-Washington DC area. And you don't think people are friendly in NC? Really? People in CT are the most unfriendly people in this country. I feel bad for people who relocate there because if you didn't grow up there then no one make you feel welcome. Glastonbury - please there is nothing to do there. And thanks to people in Fairfield County, CT is labeled as rich & snobby by the rest of the country as well as my own personal experience. Raleigh -- more expensive & unfriendly. I lived in CT and I know how much taxes are there, and gas, and food, and of course, insurance--gotta love the insurance capitol of the world! The cost of insurance is what finally forced me to live elsewhere. I have lived in NY, MA and MD and CT is the worst--you people need a reality check
Well I guess perception is everything. One person moves here and finds most people incredibly friendly, you move away and hate the place. Wait, that seems to be a trend here. People move away and come back to bag on the state. Hmmm.

"I hate you...don't leave me" Yep.

Since you have such a lock on taxes, gas, food and insurance would you for the sake of all the "fools" considering moving here care to detail and back up your rant in hard figures and just HOW much that affected your bottom line?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I agree that CT is overrated and overpriced, depsite ranking high on many key statistical measures. I have to mentally "force" myself to like it,
Go see a doctor already.

Last edited by JViello; 09-22-2011 at 06:00 AM.. Reason: clarification

Old 09-22-2011, 05:53 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,937,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Well I guess perception is everything. One person moves here and finds most people incredibly friendly, you move away and hate the place. Wait, that seems to be a trend here. People move away and come back to bag on the state. Hmmm.

"I hate you...don't leave me" Yep.

Since you have such a lock on taxes, gas, food and insurance would you for the sake of all the "fools" considering moving here care to detail and back up your rant in hard figures?

Go see a doctor already.
Doctor? All I was saying is that I don't genuinely like CT in particular. But because my family is here, I have to ignore that and pretend to like it. Just because someone doesn't like a place doesn't mean they need to see a doctor. By your logic, everyone must like they place they live in, or else they need to see a doctor. No doctor is going to make me like CT.

Old 09-22-2011, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Doctor? All I was saying is that I don't genuinely like CT in particular. But because my family is here, I have to ignore that and pretend to like it. Just because someone doesn't like a place doesn't mean they need to see a doctor. By your logic, everyone must like they place they live in, or else they need to see a doctor. No doctor is going to make me like CT.
Nep, every post of yours screams of depression. Everything...EVERYTHING sucks and is a chore to do. I'm waiting for you to say consciousness is over rated. I'm not trying to be mean, I promise, just offering the same advice many others have given you.

Old 09-22-2011, 07:00 AM

Hi JViello--yes, it was a rant--CT is definitely for some people just not me. I've lived in other places than CT and I don't "bag" on them. And speaking of backing up my rant, I was wondering what your medical credentials are since you seem to be playing on-line psychiatrist.

Old 09-22-2011, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Hi JViello--yes, it was a rant--CT is definitely for some people just not me. I've lived in other places than CT and I don't "bag" on them. And speaking of backing up my rant,
Okay fair enough. Thanks for not actually backing up just how absurd these costs were and how badly they affected your stay. And duh, if CT is the only state you've looked back on...

Trust me, I'm not saying CT is the best place on earth, but your post is way way off base. And yes I've lived and traveled around this nation as well.

Quote:
I was wondering what your medical credentials are since you seem to be playing on-line psychiatrist.
Worry about responding to your own posts before attempting to create a diversion. (Which you can't seem to do.)

Old 09-22-2011, 07:28 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,937,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Nep, every post of yours screams of depression. Everything...EVERYTHING sucks and is a chore to do. I'm waiting for you to say consciousness is over rated. I'm not trying to be mean, I promise, just offering the same advice many others have given you.
Um...but I said that I love summer. Do I need to see a doctor because I love summer? Generally speaking, I use the internet as a place to vent and complain. For example, most of my facebook posts are rants, venting and complaining. I love it!

Old 09-22-2011, 07:47 AM

576 posts, read 1,218,307 times
Quote:
Are you people kidding me? I lived in CT most of my life and if I didn't have family & friends there I would never step in that state again! CT has the WORST traffic I have ever seen and I currently live in the Baltimore-Washington DC area. And you don't think people are friendly in NC? Really? People in CT are the most unfriendly people in this country. I feel bad for people who relocate there because if you didn't grow up there then no one make you feel welcome. Glastonbury - please there is nothing to do there. And thanks to people in Fairfield County, CT is labeled as rich & snobby by the rest of the country as well as my own personal experience. Raleigh -- more expensive & unfriendly. I lived in CT and I know how much taxes are there, and gas, and food, and of course, insurance--gotta love the insurance capitol of the world! The cost of insurance is what finally forced me to live elsewhere. I have lived in NY, MA and MD and CT is the worst--you people need a reality check

I hardly got that much experience here so you been unfortunate, and I grew up here, too. I did lived in Utah for a while, and I also just came back from my visit. You mentioned racist, well in Utah it was scary and there are towns that dont allowed black people to work and the N word were okay to say out loud in some places. And I never seen so much homeless people in my life it was just sick! Like I remember one homeless person was sleeping in the middle of the side-walk and news reporter was interviewing someon and other people without acknowledging the homeless person laying there!

The whole time I'm hearing gay people getting attacked storys was making me feel really uncomfortable (even though I was attack one time), and yes many people there were suddenly rude to me and unfriendly unlike here in Connecticut. So honey you need a reality check. So saying it's the most unfriendliest state is just all misleading to me.

Old 09-22-2011, 07:58 AM

OK, "honey", I do agree that every place has its problems--some more than others. And I also agreed that it was a rant. As far as racism, I'm just surprised to hear it so much in CT. I think I had higher expectations of the Northeast. I know for the most part that people in CT are intelligent and progressive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut