Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2007, 07:02 PM

129 posts, read 564,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Well, The lakes and trails in Raleigh are not what I would call "nature" sorry. More like retention ponds and muddy puddles and suburban walking trails
Obviously you have not seen enough of Raleigh from what I am hearing from you and never lived here. I would say don't judge a book by its cover!

As for lakes in Raleigh (in the city limits), believe it or not and there are more just like the photo. Not a retention pond or muddy puddles to me. Most all the lakes here have all types of activities for families to do together Lake Johnson, Lake Wheeler, Bass Lake, Falls Lake, Shelley Lake, etc.

So back to the topic I was addressing that was asked to me, there is plenty of things to do in Raleigh. Nature in relation and otherwise. You can also take a day trip to the ocean or to the mountains that is an added bonus as well.

Last edited by LindaGlover; 05-18-2007 at 07:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2007, 06:38 AM

129 posts, read 564,685 times
Quote:

Can you point out any lakes in Raleigh that look like this?
That's your average New England lake including the one 2 miles down the road from me
You stipulate Raleigh, but you go to N.H. to locate a photo? How many does Manchester, CT have? Lets not pull 6 states into this or my list will be endless. City of Manchester/City of Raleigh

Listen, I love CT. I was born and raised there for 18 yrs. I will defend CT just like I am defending Raleigh where I have lived the past 20 years. I feel everyone is entitled to their opinion, but to truely attack a particular area that you never have lived is hard to understand.

To be honest, I thought Raleigh was only hills and old houses when I use to pass thru going to the coast. To find out I would be moving here when I got married was not exciting. BUT, I later found out it was Wade Ave I was on, and there was so much more to Raleigh then I ever imagined.

Do I think Raleigh is for everyone? Absolutely not.

Old 05-19-2007, 08:26 AM

106 posts, read 368,016 times
A tidal pool? In the ocean? 30 minutes from Manchester CT? What do you take a jet or something? The Long Island Sound is further than 30 minutes from Manchester and the Ocean is even further. Ooops I shouldn't have said anything now you'll come back with some crazy statistic or a photo of a beach in Bermuda and say it's a CT beach. But you'd have to drive pretty recklessly and waaay over the speed limit to get to the shore in 30 minutes to this "tidal pool."

Listen, seriously no city in CT is in the same league with Raleigh. It may look similar to a CT city to some but it's three or four times the area and population and it has more jobs simply by demand. If you want to compare and contrast states... fine. But putting a CT city up against a larger metro area of another state is apples and oranges. What's next Hartford vs Chicago? Hartford vs Seattle? Come on. There are places and points in references to CT that can possibly rival most states but city-wise we're outgunned because it's CT's weakest point except for possibly Stamford.

Last edited by Golden1; 05-19-2007 at 09:21 AM..

Old 05-19-2007, 10:02 AM

8,155 posts, read 20,921,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaGlover View Post
Obviously you have not seen enough of Raleigh from what I am hearing from you and never lived here. I would say don't judge a book by its cover!

As for lakes in Raleigh (in the city limits), believe it or not and there are more just like the photo. Not a retention pond or muddy puddles to me. Most all the lakes here have all types of activities for families to do together Lake Johnson, Lake Wheeler, Bass Lake, Falls Lake, Shelley Lake, etc.

So back to the topic I was addressing that was asked to me, there is plenty of things to do in Raleigh. Nature in relation and otherwise. You can also take a day trip to the ocean or to the mountains that is an added bonus as well.

You know this is exactly what I was talking about.

I know Raleigh, I know the lakes. I've not lived in Raliegh but I did live in NC and have family in Elon College who teach and visit the triad quite a bit so I know what's around there.

I'm really not trying to single you out but that picture above is soooooo misleading.

Here is Lake Crabtree in the picture above. A muddy, "park" sandwiched btween the airport, and industrial park and interstate 40. HARDLY nature like is being misrepresented here.

http://www.ctchristians.com/nc/lake-crabtree.jpg (broken link)

Hardly some nature getaway with a loon calling out to you in the morning. Please.

I took the time to mark up another one you posted: Lake Johnson

http://www.ctchristians.com/nc/lakejohnson.jpg (broken link)

Again, a muddy suburban park lake stuck between Interstate 440 and Interstate 40 backed up to sprawl and strip malls. Hardly a naturalists getaway. (If you want to see the muddy water theme, just look right to Lake Raleigh too.)

I can go on and on if you like. All anyone has to do is type in the lakes you mentioned on Google maps and click on sattelite view. It becomes obvious that I was dead on in my assessment of Raleigh's nature, specifically the "lakes".

If you want to mislead these people that's up to you - that's what the picture does.

Oh yea, the lake 2 miles down the road from my house (Not the one I posted above) is this one: A deep water, crystal clear lake with lake homes and farmland surrounding it with a 1000' mountain ridge to the West with hiking trails etc.

http://www.ctchristians.com/nc/bolton-lake.jpg (broken link)

And yes, I am 3 miles to DT Manchester, and 10 miles to DT Hartford.

All I see is realtor hype and no substance. Sorry.

P.S. That day trip to the Ocean you mentioned is a 130 mile trip EACH WAY! And Boone (Mountains) is 188 miles EACH WAY!

Again pointing out what I said that Raleigh is a stuck in the middle suburban sprawl, strip mall hell. If the OP wants nature in NC, go further East towards the Ocean (Wilmington or even Greenville perhaps) or further West towards the mountains (Hickory perhaps) and look for a smaller city.

Last edited by JViello; 05-19-2007 at 10:13 AM..

Old 05-19-2007, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden1 View Post
A tidal pool? In the ocean? 30 minutes from Manchester CT? What do you take a jet or something? The Long Island Sound is further than 30 minutes from Manchester and the Ocean is even further. Ooops I shouldn't have said anything now you'll come back with some crazy statistic or a photo of a beach in Bermuda and say it's a CT beach. But you'd have to drive pretty recklessly and waaay over the speed limit to get to the shore in 30 minutes to this "tidal pool."

I make the drive all the time cruising down 85 on the bike. No mystery. It's about 35-40 miles. Okay, call it 35-40 minutes. Whatever. That's a far cry from 2.5 hours each way. If you can't see that, I dont' know what to say. Heck in 2.5 hours I can be in Southern Maine!

And no Raleigh is not like CT. Thank God.

Thanks for the disdain towards myself and your home state. Much appreciated.

Old 05-19-2007, 10:20 AM

106 posts, read 368,016 times
Hey, how is it a disdain toward my state? I'm just setting records straight. I know exactly what is good about CT and what is bad. If someone is bad mouthing a wonderful area like Mystic or a dozen such areas throughout the state I am right with ya on it but come on... Raleigh vs Manchester or Hartford is a hard one to for me to back. You often go a little extreme and fight a little too hard over areas that aren't the best examples of CT. Let 'em have Raleigh, man

How can one who loves Raleigh or sees a side of Raleigh that is overlooked win an argument with someone that loves Manchester/Hartford and sees a side to those places that is overlooked? No one can win this one. It's a matter of opinion or personal taste and I can't gang up on someone for that.

Old 05-19-2007, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden1 View Post
Hey, how is it a disdain toward my state? I'm just setting records straight. I know exactly what is good about CT and what is bad. If someone is bad mouthing a wonderful area like Mystic or a dozen such areas throughout the state I am right with ya on it but come on... Raleigh vs Manchester or Hartford is a hard one to for me to back. You often go a little extreme and fight a little too hard over areas that aren't the best examples of CT. Let 'em have Raleigh, man

How can one who loves Raleigh or sees a side of Raleigh that is overlooked win an argument with someone that loves Manchester/Hartford and sees a side to those places that is overlooked? No one can win this one. It's a matter of opinion or personal taste and I can't gang up on someone for that.
Thanks for explaining, I do agree with you on many points. No harm no foul.

I just find it very misleading to say Raleigh is a nature lovers place. It's not, and I'll call a spade a spade if you know what I mean. After all this was posted in the CT forum.

Old 05-19-2007, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaGlover View Post
You stipulate Raleigh, but you go to N.H. to locate a photo? How many does Manchester, CT have? Lets not pull 6 states into this or my list will be endless. City of Manchester/City of Raleigh
Reread my post. I said this is the average lake in New England and last I checked NH was in New England. But I did post about the lake 2 miles down the road from me too.

P.S. New Hampshire (And that lake specifically) is about an hour fifteen minutes away just over the border. A friend has a home on that one so it's simply one that came to mind.

Old 05-20-2007, 12:17 AM

572 posts, read 2,082,592 times
Quote:
Reread my post. I said this is the average lake in New England and last I checked NH was in New England. But I did post about the lake 2 miles down the road from me too.

P.S. New Hampshire (And that lake specifically) is about an hour fifteen minutes away just over the border. A friend has a home on that one so it's simply one that came to mind.
Well last I checked, this is a CT forum, not a NE forum. And the post was comparing CT to Raleigh. You picture of the clear lake in NH is purely irrelevant.

The CT river is brown and gross, as is the Housatonic, Naugatuck, Candlewood Lake, Bantam and LI sound. I think we all need to face it. Lakes and rivers are not CTs high points. Of course, JViello would attempt to have you believe otherwise with his manipulating post showing us clear lakes in Northern NE (New Hampshire).

I think we all need to be careful what we post here because people are coming here for facts on CT. Also to the newcomers, don't believe everything you see on these boards. They are opinions (unless we're talking about that lake picture above posted by JViello, which doesn't represent CT at all.) This poster is, for some reason, attempting to have us believe otherwise.

Old 05-20-2007, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremeyk482 View Post
Well last I checked, this is a CT forum, not a NE forum. And the post was comparing CT to Raleigh. You picture of the clear lake in NH is purely irrelevant.

The CT river is brown and gross, as is the Housatonic, Naugatuck, Candlewood Lake, Bantam and LI sound. I think we all need to face it. Lakes and rivers are not CTs high points. Of course, JViello would attempt to have you believe otherwise with his manipulating post showing us clear lakes in Northern NE (New Hampshire).

I think we all need to be careful what we post here because people are coming here for facts on CT. Also to the newcomers, don't believe everything you see on these boards. They are opinions (unless we're talking about that lake picture above posted by JViello, which doesn't represent CT at all.) This poster is, for some reason, attempting to have us believe otherwise.
Moderator cut: personal attack
BTW, the CT river is the cleanest it's been years, and so are the other rivers. We even have Atlantic salmon coming back. The lake down the road is pristine, so are the others in the area.

And just for you I'll post some CT pictures. Okay?

Moderator cut: not okay - these are all copyrighted images, again

Well you get the idea. PLENTY of clean, clear lakes, rivers and streams here in CT.

As for the CT River, yes there is always room for improvement but it's one of the cleaner large rivers in the nation now.

Following passage of the Federal Clean Water Act in 1972, communities and businesses stopped using the River as a dump. Through the hard work of the Connecticut River Watershed Council and others, water quality in the River and its tributaries is today dramatically improved. Salmon and shad are returning, and community riverfronts are being revitalized.

The rich natural diversity and special qualities of the Connecticut and its watershed have gained both national and international recognition. It was designated an American Heritage River in 1998, the entire watershed is a National Fish and Wildlife Refuge, and its tidal wetlands are of international importance.

Last edited by Marka; 05-21-2007 at 05:34 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut