Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 03:54 PM

15 posts, read 40,728 times

Advertisements

We will be commuting to Hartford. How is the commute from Southington? How are the schools compared to the other areas I mentioned. Also how is the neighborhood in comparison, socioeconomic class?. I notice the houses are priced less as well as the tax. Wondering if we should consider this neighborhood. Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2013, 10:16 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,723,745 times
Many nice areas, middle class, okay schools, lots of Italian extraction families. Possible to commute to Hartford, but traffic is heavy, although if you can adjust your hours to work a little before or after 9 to 5, that would help. It's really a perfectly fine town.

Old 06-05-2013, 11:11 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,703,369 times
Southington is a perfectly good town. The Plantsville section of Southington is especially nice.

My one complaint with Southington is the size of the high school. It's large school district- I think 8 grade schools. But everything eventually funnels into just one high school. The high school thus has a student population of close to 2100 students.

I don't know if that makes a difference to you, but some kids could be overwhelmed. I have relatives who live in Plantsville and their kids did just fine at Southington High and got into top notch colleges so it may not make a difference.

Old 06-06-2013, 07:02 AM

21,540 posts, read 30,956,091 times
Southington is not as affluent as Avon, Canton, Farmington, and Glastonbury, and not as aesthetically pleasing. It's an average town IMO.

Old 06-06-2013, 07:16 AM

34,679 posts, read 56,455,731 times
I agree with what the others say. Southington is a nice middle class town with good schools but it is not in the same league as Avon, Farmington, Glastonbury or even Canton. Those towns are among the most affluent and desirable in the greater Hartford area. Southington is just more middle of the road. The schools there are good but do not generally perform as well on the Connecticut Mastery and Connecticut Academic Performance Tests. You can review information on schools in Connecticut at the link below. Also as Kidyankee notes Southington does not have the aesthetic character the other towns mentioned do. That is not to say it is a bad town. Quite the opposite. Jay

State Department of Education - CEDaR

Old 06-06-2013, 10:08 AM

13,340 posts, read 26,819,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Southington is not as affluent as Avon, Canton, Farmington, and Glastonbury, and not as aesthetically pleasing. It's an average town IMO.
Southington has more housing for the budget side of the market, such as large mobile home communities for 55+ people, and apartments.

Old 06-06-2013, 03:28 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,604,659 times
I'd say Southington is more than an average town. There is always something to do from what I've seen. Yes, the high school is huge but with that comes a large variety of extracurriculars and academic opportunities. It's all preference.

Old 06-07-2013, 11:41 PM

163 posts, read 239,294 times
I think Southington is a very nice town. You can get more for your money there. They have a few good non-chain restaurants in their downtown area (Anthony Jax, Smokin' With Chris) , along with most chains on Queen Street. Shopping is convenient and I84 runs right through. The commute to Hartford won't suck until you hit West Hartford. As soon as you hit west Hartford traffic slows down or stops during busy drive times, but luckily there are only a few miles to go at that point. It almost might be quicker to take 84 to 72 to 9 to 91 during rush hour. Maybe not, but I often feel that way driving through the area and sitting in traffic. I have no experience with their schools, but I've also never heard bad things about them. I grew up in a neighboring town.

Southington's neighborhood vary widely, but I wouldn't say there are any bad areas, just more working class vs moderately wealthy, depending on where you are.

Have you checked out Berlin, Cromwell and Rocky Hill? The commute would be better, but I'm not sure if they fit what you're looking for.

Old 06-09-2013, 08:29 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,723,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdhpotter View Post
I think Southington is a very nice town. You can get more for your money there. They have a few good non-chain restaurants in their downtown area (Anthony Jax, Smokin' With Chris) , along with most chains on Queen Street. Shopping is convenient and I84 runs right through. The commute to Hartford won't suck until you hit West Hartford. As soon as you hit west Hartford traffic slows down or stops during busy drive times, but luckily there are only a few miles to go at that point. It almost might be quicker to take 84 to 72 to 9 to 91 during rush hour. Maybe not, but I often feel that way driving through the area and sitting in traffic. I have no experience with their schools, but I've also never heard bad things about them. I grew up in a neighboring town.

Southington's neighborhood vary widely, but I wouldn't say there are any bad areas, just more working class vs moderately wealthy, depending on where you are.

Have you checked out Berlin, Cromwell and Rocky Hill? The commute would be better, but I'm not sure if they fit what you're looking for.
School sports are the big thing in Berlin, as opposed to academics, from what residents tell me. So if you're the kind of family whose kids are into cheerleading and football, Berlin is a good choice. If they're into academics exclusively, maybe not a great choice. Rocky Hill schools are overcrowded and underfunded. At this point, families I know are actually looking to the Hartford magnet schools to escape Rocky Hill school issues - which is saying a lot. Don't know about Cromwell.

I would say that for convenient location, reasonable cost, decent schools, and doable commute to Hartford, Southington should definitely be on the list. I think that Farmington near the Fieneman road entrance or near the Westfarms Mall entrance to 84 are also good choices, but NOT near the Rt 4 entrance, because of the terrible traffic bottleneck at that exit and entrance.

Have you considered Newington? It's also an easy commute to Hartford, has decent schools, has many middle class to upper middle class areas.

Old 06-10-2013, 08:41 PM

139 posts, read 354,033 times
As the only or one of the only individuals responding here who has lived in Southington (9 years), I'll give my input. The commute to Hartford is all on I84, but not as bad a commute as the towns in Farmington valley that you mentioned. Southington isn't as upscale as the other towns, but has many, many newer developments with large homes and beautiful yards. The owners of those properties are college educated. You definitely get more home for your money. There are wonderful rolling hills and apple orchards. The views from my old neighborhood were gorgeous. One of the most highly attended festivals in the state, the Apple Harvest Festival, is held in downtown Southington. The town is a great place to raise a family. However, the schools are not as strong as the towns you've mentioned. They're better than average for CT, and get 7s and 8s from greatschools.org if you value their opinion. On schooldigger they're actually ranked higher than Glastonbury. I loved living there, and would have loved to stay there, but family lives east of the river, and I believe Glastonbury's schools are better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut