Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 01:44 PM

21,752 posts, read 28,086,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elinyc View Post
For those who reacted defensively to my claim that one of Connecticut's drawbacks is the quality of its cities, have you seen this? Most Dangerous Cities In America - Business Insider
Seems like the crime statistics back up my claim that New Haven and Hartford (not to mention Bridgeport) leave a lot to be desired. It's a shame that our 1 little state has so many cities on this list and a shame that more isn't being done (or is it and I'm just not informed?) to clean up these cities...
I'm guessing you haven't spent much time in Hartford or New Haven. They're not the wild west. They have plenty safe areas and lots of people work and play there. The real bad crime is usually among gang members, not against innocent suburbanites out for dinner. It's too bad that the attitude of so many residents of CT are so dismissive because of perception or statistics, or cities like New Haven would be having even more of a renaissance.

As it's been said many times, Hartford and New Haven are TINY cities - ~16-18 square miles. Compare that to many cities in our country that take up hundreds of square miles, many of which are suburban and bring crime averages down, and it's easy to see why the statistics are the way they are.

Could the cities be better about crime? Of course. But I hate the attitude that they're terrible places, because they're not by any means - and those that write them off are the same people that barely go there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2013, 02:06 PM

284 posts, read 534,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
I'm guessing you haven't spent much time in Hartford or New Haven. They're not the wild west. They have plenty safe areas and lots of people work and play there. The real bad crime is usually among gang members, not against innocent suburbanites out for dinner. It's too bad that the attitude of so many residents of CT are so dismissive because of perception or statistics, or cities like New Haven would be having even more of a renaissance.

As it's been said many times, Hartford and New Haven are TINY cities - ~16-18 square miles. Compare that to many cities in our country that take up hundreds of square miles, many of which are suburban and bring crime averages down, and it's easy to see why the statistics are the way they are.

Could the cities be better about crime? Of course. But I hate the attitude that they're terrible places, because they're not by any means - and those that write them off are the same people that barely go there.
The Business Insider report was comparing all cities with over 100,000 residents so I'm sure New Haven/Hartford were compared against many other cities of similar size and not only against the huge cities with suburban rings that you mentioned.

I'm sure the real crimes are not against innocent suburbanites out for dinner and I've gone out there many times myself, but the issue is that the high crime levels prevent them (at least in my eyes) from being truly great cities - the kind that attract an intellectual/urban crowd, the kind that people want to live in (and not just visit a few times a month for dinner). They are lacking that urban draw that many other cities (especially in the Northeast) have and it's a real shame. I think it's a huge negative for Connecticut and I would absolutely love to see a true renaissance happen in these cities. If anybody knows of any such efforts, I would love to hear more...

Old 06-17-2013, 02:13 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
For those who reacted defensively to my claim that one of Connecticut's drawbacks is the quality of its cities, have you seen this? Most Dangerous Cities In America - Business Insider
Seems like the crime statistics back up my claim that New Haven and Hartford (not to mention Bridgeport) leave a lot to be desired. It's a shame that our 1 little state has so many cities on this list and a shame that more isn't be done (or is it and I'm just not informed?) to clean up these cities...
As was discussed on another thread here, these statistics are a bit skewed. Our cities are small in area and population including only the core of our metropolitan areas. Because of this, the statistics when calculated are higher because the lower crime suburban areas are not included in the calculation. Overall, Connecticut's cities are no more unsafe than any other major cities and in fact, if looked at on a metrpolitan basis are likely to be lower. Jay

Old 06-17-2013, 02:13 PM

Quote:
the kind that attract an intellectual/urban crowd, the kind that people want to live in (and not just visit a few times a month for dinner)
Why do you think New Haven is growing? Have you seen the crowds that frequent the city? Even during the summer when school is out?

Old 06-17-2013, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
As was discussed on another thread here, these statistics are a bit skewed. Our cities are small in area and population including only the core of our metropolitan areas. Because of this, the statistics when calculated are higher because the lower crime suburban areas are not included in the calculation. Overall, Connecticut's cities are no more unsafe than any other major cities and in fact, if looked at on a metrpolitan basis are likely to be lower. Jay
But this report didn't compare CT's small cities against huge cities only. It compared all cities with a population of 100,000 or more, which means that CT's cities were compared to many others of a similar size.

Old 06-17-2013, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Why do you think New Haven is growing? Have you seen the crowds that frequent the city? Even during the summer when school is out?
No, I haven't, but I'm glad to hear it!

Old 06-17-2013, 02:31 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
The Business Insider report was comparing all cities with over 100,000 residents so I'm sure New Haven/Hartford were compared against many other cities of similar size and not only against the huge cities with suburban rings that you mentioned.

I'm sure the real crimes are not against innocent suburbanites out for dinner and I've gone out there many times myself, but the issue is that the high crime levels prevent them (at least in my eyes) from being truly great cities - the kind that attract an intellectual/urban crowd, the kind that people want to live in (and not just visit a few times a month for dinner). They are lacking that urban draw that many other cities (especially in the Northeast) have and it's a real shame. I think it's a huge negative for Connecticut and I would absolutely love to see a true renaissance happen in these cities. If anybody knows of any such efforts, I would love to hear more...
I tried to find more information on how Business Insider really does their list and could not find anything other than the article claiming they did. That said the article noted that Bridgeport's rape statistic were higher becuase they include 250 counts against 2 men who allegedly raped one child. They admitted that skews the results for Bridgeport dramatically. Jay

Old 06-17-2013, 09:40 PM

Quote:
No, I haven't, but I'm glad to hear it!
Seriously, there's about half a billion in new construction projects in planning right now (not including those of Yale). I just started working there and the city is swarming with young professionals during the day. It's only going to get better.

Old 08-11-2014, 05:07 PM

3 posts, read 3,305 times
If it Pratt or Sikorsky ever pull out we would go bankrupt. The insurance business was a contributing
factor but it is on it's way out. High tech was supposed to take over manufacturing in this state but
it s not happening. Too much taxes. Real estate and residential construction usually helps get or numbers back up but the market took too much of a hit and real recovery and growth is a long way off. Connecticut known as the "construction" state not constitution state in terms of redoing roads and infrastructure but it just turns or circulates dollars to create jobs which are mostly state and town.
Ironically the new bus line was mostly subcontracted out to others states. Way too much politics here.
Who do you think lives on the gold coast.
If I were you I would not start a family here. Good luck.

Old 08-11-2014, 07:39 PM

1,087 posts, read 1,387,243 times
Iraq is terrible, Connecticut is part of New England.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut