Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2013, 08:04 PM

12 posts, read 14,989 times

Advertisements

I did a search and found little information. My family is looking to purchase a home in the Timber Oaks community. I have several questions:

1. Does anyone have any experience/information on Timber Oaks? It seems like a NICE community but does anyone have any information about any concerns I should have?

2. I work in Manhattan and I intend to take the Metro-north to work. I know this may sound brutal but I am self employed so my schedule is very flexible. Has anyone taken the Bethel-NYC commute on a daily basis? Is it doable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2013, 08:45 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,160,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thankfulforbrad View Post
I did a search and found little information. My family is looking to purchase a home in the Timber Oaks community. I have several questions:

1. Does anyone have any experience/information on Timber Oaks? It seems like a NICE community but does anyone have any information about any concerns I should have?

2. I work in Manhattan and I intend to take the Metro-north to work. I know this may sound brutal but I am self employed so my schedule is very flexible. Has anyone taken the Bethel-NYC commute on a daily basis? Is it doable?
Part of Timber Oaks is in Danbury I am pretty sure. Make certain the part you are looking at is actually in Bethel if thats where you want to live. (Schools...etc.)

Old 06-09-2013, 09:28 PM

21,749 posts, read 28,070,632 times
The Bethel side is nicer. I owned a townhouse on the Danbury side for a very short time. It was too close to the train tracks and very noisy. I will say that the units are really well built, although the newer ones they're putting in the back as phase 2 look a lot cheaper.

I would not at all recommend a Manhattan commute from there. It's almost 2 hours and runs infrequently. You'd have to drive all the way to Brewster to take the train. Brutal.

If you want a similarly priced area and don't mind a very long commute (but still shorter than Bethel!), why not look at Stratford, Shelton, or Milford? Much easier train commute from the main New Haven line there. Or, spend a little extra and settle in Fairfield.

Old 06-10-2013, 04:58 AM

12 posts, read 14,989 times
Thanks ! the house are looking at is at Hopkins Court right across the street from the Subway sandwich shop. It is in Bethel. Any thoughts? The commute I think im ready for. I have the liberty to work every other day so I think It wont take a toll on me.(as long as I can find a seat in train ... lol)

Old 06-10-2013, 07:39 AM

21,749 posts, read 28,070,632 times
That's not as close to the train as I was, but it's within earshot. Camp out and wait for the train a few times and see if the noise bothers you. It will sound every 30 minutes or so in one direction or the other.

The problem with the Danbury line is not only that it's painfully slow (110 minutes to Grand Central), but that it runs infrequently. If you don't time it exactly right, or have to stay late for work, or something comes up in the morning - you're essentially screwed. If you must live in that area (I really don't recommend it for NYC accessibility), take the Southeast train in Brewster.

Also, the Danbury line seems to have issues when there's bad weather.

Although the trip will be roughly the same when you count driving time to Brewster, it's a much more reliable train that runs much more frequently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut