Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 08:45 PM

6 posts, read 7,719 times

Advertisements

Recently put an offer on a house to have the listing agent play games with us. This agent has a history of being difficult to work with and I am getting tired of them. As a buyer what recourse do we have against shady and questionable tactics?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2013, 06:30 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,133,250 times
I think you have to be more specific. Is the listing agent breaking the law, or just being a PIA?

If he/she is breaking the law, then you have recourse. Are you represented by your own agent? If you are, you shouldn't have to deal with the listing agent at all-- Or YOUR agent is playing games and blaming it on the listing agent. It also could be you have unsure sellers-- or sellers in a bad situation. For example, a home being sold in a divorce, can sometimes be difficult for obvious reasons.

Old 06-11-2013, 10:15 AM

1,000 posts, read 1,805,337 times
Contact the sellers directly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynchjl7748 View Post
Recently put an offer on a house to have the listing agent play games with us. This agent has a history of being difficult to work with and I am getting tired of them. As a buyer what recourse do we have against shady and questionable tactics?

Old 06-11-2013, 12:19 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,910,251 times
I do not know that the OP can do that. They could contact the agency and talk to the manager or broker. It really depends on what exactly happened which the OP failed to tell us in detail. Jay

Old 06-12-2013, 08:12 PM

I didn't give details for lots of reasons but the main one is respect for realtors. All of my issues are with the LA and probably lie more on the ethical/unethical behavior. I appreciate the advice but I don't want start any long drawn out arugements over ethics and shady practices. Yes I have an agent and they are more frustrated than I am. Lots of promises and verbal agreements that took days to hit paper. I could give more detail but again it's ethics and people all view it differently.

Old 06-13-2013, 07:19 AM

34,918 posts, read 56,910,251 times
Since you will not give us more details there is not much more we can do. You know your options so pick one. Good luck, Jay

Old 06-13-2013, 09:04 AM

2,256 posts, read 4,495,620 times
Either address your concern with the agents broker if they are not their own brokerage, or the Real Estate liciensing board with is part of the states consumer protection agency. Theres well established procedures for this easily found and used.

Old 06-13-2013, 12:36 PM

413 posts, read 1,105,876 times
Find another broker and tell him or her about the problems that you're having.

Old 06-13-2013, 01:08 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,756,499 times
How can anyone answer your question if you're not willing to tell anyone what the problem is ?

Keep in mind the listing agent represents the seller. It may be that the seller is being difficult. The seller could be waffling, changing his or her mind, taking forever to sign paperwork, etc. Also, if there are no firm dates in the contract, then it leaves lots of room or hard feelings. We'll assume that dates for agreeing to the contract, dates for doing inspections, dates for responding to inspections, etc. were well thought out, written down and agreed to in writing.

Have your buyer agent talk to the broker in his or her office. Then that broker can contact the other real estate office. It's in the realty agents best interests and yours to resolve whatever problem you're having quickly.

Old 06-14-2013, 01:29 PM

So the topic was do buyers have an recourse when dealing with a listing agent that is acting in an unethical manner. No matter how well I explain things people are going to tell me it isn't wrong for them to act this way etc... some of this is where it gets into what you deem ethical and what you don't.

So I will say I have never had a positive real estate transaction so I am pretty some of this is just the way I am looking at things. I made the decision to put an offer on a house. Offer was submitted and after submission we find out that there may or may not be more than one offer being submitted at the same time (multiple bid situation). We revised our offer and submitted best and final. We were instructed that we would hear the next afternoon. The LA would not return any phone calls,emails or text messages all day. 11:30PM my SA gets a text informing her that we won the house and the contract was signed. 9:00am the next day my SA calls to find out when she can get the contract in had and the LA tells her well.... There may be another offer coming in from a showing yesterday. To me this is issue 1... We are told we have to wait to find out with no time frame. Two days later we hear that my agent has the contract in hand signed. In talks with my agent we find out that there may be an issue with a back fence and a permit that the owner has that does not cover me and the back fence has to be brought in by 15 feet. This is not in any of the disclosure paper work etc... Agent continues to dodge questions from my agent and according to the contract shoud have had an agreed upon close date two days ago and here I am today with no date.

When the agents talk there is the general air that we are being screwed around with and not told the truth. This LA has a history of being very difficult to deal with.

I just wanted to see if anyone had any advice on how to address concerns.

Just got a phone call that informed that there was no multiple bid situation and the only offer/ conversation with the Seller's was our best and final which I am worried way above market value. Guess I have to wait for the appriasial and then decide how far I want to take things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut