Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 06:28 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,135,783 times

Advertisements

CT News Junkie | Texas Group Sends Perry to CT and NY, Spends $1M On TV Ads

Meh.

I'm interested to see how these "corporate citizens" react. Will they show interest in Texas so they can increase that profit margin ever-so-slightly? Why pay an admin $40K when you can pay him her $25K? Why pay for proximity to NYC when we have the internets? There's always private school...

Will Perry boast Christian prayer on the loudspeaker before football games as an asset? (After all the football stadium cost more than the school...)

I wonder who will bite?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2013, 06:30 AM

21,619 posts, read 31,202,923 times
Can't stand Perry, but it would be nice if Malloy would be half as involved in improving the economy of our state.

Old 06-11-2013, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Can't stand Perry, but it would be nice if Malloy would be half as involved in improving the economy of our state.
Can you imagine the screaming hysteria and outrage if Malloy went to Texas to "recruit"?

Old 06-11-2013, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Can you imagine the screaming hysteria and outrage if Malloy went to Texas to "recruit"?
Excellent. Let 'em b*tch.

As much as I dislike Perry, going door to door is an excellent tactic.

Old 06-11-2013, 07:11 AM

It is a good strategy. Low regulation and low taxes are appealing-- until you have a situation like in West, Texas a few weeks ago. Hell, for many, West, Texas is just the "cost of doing business"-- to hell with the families and kids who are now fatherless.

Old 06-11-2013, 07:34 AM

2,496 posts, read 4,721,691 times
I hate to say it, but I don't think it will be hard for Perry to make a convincing case for many businesses to relocate to his state, specifically for reasons mentioned above (i.e, low tax rates, little regulation or oversight). This is especially true of the firearms industry, who I'm sure will fit right in with the gun culture of the Lone Star State. Yes, Texas is a great state to do business. It just doesn't strike me as a nice state to actually live in.

Old 06-11-2013, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
I hate to say it, but I don't think it will be hard for Perry to make a convincing case for many businesses to relocate to his state, specifically for reasons mentioned above (i.e, low tax rates, little regulation or oversight). This is especially true of the firearms industry, who I'm sure will fit right in with the gun culture of the Lone Star State. Yes, Texas is a great state to do business. It just doesn't strike me as a nice state to actually live in.
Is it a nice state to be an employee? Most people are employees, not business owners. And while parts of it are nice to live in, I don't think it has the QOL of CT.

Old 06-11-2013, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Is it a nice state to be an employee? Most people are employees, not business owners. And while parts of it are nice to live in, I don't think it has the QOL of CT.
Probably depends on the town. I've been to some beautiful suburbs of Dallas. Just looking at the public school quality and some don't seem too bad. Of course it's not good across the board like much of the Northeast.

Old 06-11-2013, 08:13 AM

2,496 posts, read 4,721,691 times
Quote:
Which is why I have no inclination to live there.

Texas and Connecticut are at both ends of the extremes as far as anything goes, laizzes faire crony capitalism and excessive government oversight and regulation, respectively. Unless our state find finds a middle ground, we're going to have a hard time portraying ourselves as a state that's inviting to business. I realize that you yourself have had great success here, and that's certainly commendable, but many other people have found CT to be a stifling business climate.

Old 06-11-2013, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
...but many other people have found CT to be a stifling business climate.
Very true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut