Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 11:26 AM

3 posts, read 13,205 times

Advertisements

Trying to get an idea of amount of money people have left over each year. Doesn't matter how much they make or their expenses, just how much after all of that. For instance, if we buy a certain house, we will have about $1000 left over each month. All the expenses we factored in are mortgage, house insurance, house and car taxes, heating, electric, water bill, car payments, health insurance, cable, cell phones, groceries, tithe, presents for family members for birthdays and christmas (tried to average it out), sports and activities for our daughter, gym membership, gas, after school care for daughter, and I averaged out what we would spend for clothes if I payed monthly. Really, that leaves us with not including emergencies for house or dog, copays, movies, vacation,etc. We have no credit card bills as of now.

Is $1000 doable for a family of three that hopefully will soon become family of 4?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2013, 11:33 AM

35,095 posts, read 50,961,628 times
If you want it to be then it is, otherwise it is not. Start with an actual budget with real numbers, exact amounts of everything. Write up the budget (use pencil, trust me on this one) and stick to it exactly and see how it goes in reality. Once you see in real numbers then live it in real time you can adjust accordingly. Cut back on the cable, spend less for groceries, give up the gym membership, cut way back on new clothes, going out and taking extended vacations. I see you did not put "blow money" in your budget, a set amount for you and your husband to spend as you wish each month.

Until you use real numbers and use the budget in real life you will not have a well informed idea if it will work for you or not. You also have to include everything in the budget including the emergency fund, vet bills, copay, entertainment, etc.

Old 06-12-2013, 12:08 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,693,809 times
Did you include savings in general and retirement plans in particular ? These are extremely important items and you cannot kick the can down the road with either. You have to start now while you're young and let both types of accounts grow over the decades.

Old 06-12-2013, 12:10 PM

34,636 posts, read 56,378,147 times
If you are assuming that all of your other expenses are covered, having $1,000 left over should be fine. I am assuming that you are about to buy a house here in Connecticut which is why you are asking the question. Jay

Old 06-12-2013, 12:31 PM

370 posts, read 603,900 times
Really can't offer any help without looking at actual numbers. Saving $1,000 per month is pretty good if you have a six month emergency fund to cover all monthly expenses while also maxing out your 401k and/or Roth IRA.

However, $1,000 saved per month with no emergency fund or retirement savings basket is a recipe for disaster...especially if you are planning on purchasing a home.

Replacing a roof, septic tank, dishwasher, furnace, etc. is inevitable. How many miles are on your car? Perhaps one day you need a transmission replaced? Replacing a set of tires will cost you around $600 these days. Do your children need braces? How about college tuition?

Old 06-12-2013, 12:40 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,889,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UconnHusky1 View Post
Really can't offer any help without looking at actual numbers. Saving $1,000 per month is pretty good if you have a six month emergency fund to cover all monthly expenses while also maxing out your 401k and/or Roth IRA.

However, $1,000 saved per month with no emergency fund or retirement savings basket is a recipe for disaster...especially if you are planning on purchasing a home.

Replacing a roof, septic tank, dishwasher, furnace, etc. is inevitable. How many miles are on your car? Perhaps one day you need a transmission replaced? Replacing a set of tires will cost you around $600 these days. Do your children need braces? How about college tuition?
Excellent post!

Old 06-12-2013, 03:07 PM

3 posts, read 13,205 times
This is my parents house that we will be buying out. Newer roof, septic is fine, house was built not too long ago.We will have equity in the house as we are getting it much lower than it is assessed for.

Old 06-12-2013, 04:34 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,693,809 times
How do you know you will have equity in the house ? Have you had a recent appraisal done it - say within the past 3-6 months.

Its assessed value means nothing. Assessments are done in CT every 5 years. They do not change year to year and do not reflect the current market. If the home was last assessed 2-5 years ago, it will very likely be worth much less than its assessed value as prices have dropped over that period.

The only way this would not be is if the town/city had a new revaluation ( assessment) done within the past year. Also, not sure what any of that has to do with your budget, which was your original question,
unless you are depending on being able to refi or open a home equity line of credit if you run into a big financial problem. However, I think you would want to be able to fund savings and retirement accounts out of your income.

Old 06-12-2013, 04:51 PM

1,195 posts, read 1,614,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
How do you know you will have equity in the house ? Have you had a recent appraisal done it - say within the past 3-6 months.
I assume he/she meant that since they were getting the house from family for a lot cheaper than it would sell on the open market, they have some money 'in the bank' if they were to resell it. At least that's how I read it, perhaps I'm wrong.

Old 06-12-2013, 05:38 PM

2,080 posts, read 3,902,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
. However, I think you would want to be able to fund savings and retirement accounts out of your income.
This. Its the most important thing to consider before pumping out kids and driving fancy cars. Can't overstate it, really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
View detailed profiles of: