Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 10:26 AM

49 posts, read 80,398 times

Advertisements

Greetings. Need a change from a very small CT suburb to a more stimulating environment. Have had our hearts set on Newburyport, on the North shore of MA, however, business commitments in Longmeadow may mean postponing that move, due to what would become a 2 hour commute each way, 3 days a week. So, West Hartford, on the other hand, would be a manageable commute and seems to offer some of what we're looking for (sans close proximity to the ocean, sadly). Just trying to get a better sense of how it would feel to live there. Are there any great elementary schools in walk into town neighborhoods? How happy have people been with the schools? Are there areas to avoid, or that seem to be changing for the better (or not)? It seems that a number of the smaller more unique businesses in town have closed over the last several years (due mostly to exceedingly high leasing rates in town, I've heard). Blue Back Square, too, has many vacant spots remaining and several businesses that have left. I'm not certain what all of that might mean about the evolution of the area. Would really like to know how insiders enjoy living there. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2013, 10:40 AM

6,121 posts, read 5,087,939 times
I think you'll find most of your issues/questions about WH answered in other threads on this forum, so I won't repeat that info here.

But just to make a couple of comments--my family & I are coming up on 6 years here, and unequivocally enjoy it. Also, I'm not aware of any areas in town that are regressing. If anything, long neglected neighborhoods like Elmwood, Park Rd, and now Bishops Corner are seeing new investments. I wouldn't read much into the vacancies at BBS...it's still a very desirable location.

Old 06-14-2013, 01:26 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,903,161 times
I am not sure what makes the OP think that there is a lot of vacant retail space at Blue Back Square. The last time I was there, there were only a couple of spaces available and most of them were already leased for other shops or restaurants. A portion of BBS was recently sold and it fetch a very good price which is indicative of its desirability. Keep in mind that any retail center will have its share of stores coming and going.

That said I do know one family that lives in the neighborhood just west of the center and they do like it a lot. The schools in West Hartford are among the best in Connecticut so I would not worry much about the quality of education at any of the schools there. The schools system maintains a strong curriculum system wide so any differences in performances on the Connecticut Mastery or Connecticut Academic Performance Tests are more related to the socio-economic backgrounds of the students than the quality of the school.

Pretty much all of West Hartford is safe. Some of the areas closer to Hartford particularly to south and east are just less desirable than other sections of town. Definitely stay west of the railroad tracks. The Elmwood area is considered a bit less desirable than other neighborhoods but I really think that will change once the busway begins operation and people discover the lower priced housing available there. Jay

Old 06-14-2013, 01:49 PM

2,495 posts, read 4,719,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I am not sure what makes the OP think that there is a lot of vacant retail space at Blue Back Square. The last time I was there, there were only a couple of spaces available and most of them were already leased for other shops or restaurants. A portion of BBS was recently sold and it fetch a very good price which is indicative of its desirability. Keep in mind that any retail center will have its share of stores coming and going.

That said I do know one family that lives in the neighborhood just west of the center and they do like it a lot. The schools in West Hartford are among the best in Connecticut so I would not worry much about the quality of education at any of the schools there. The schools system maintains a strong curriculum system wide so any differences in performances on the Connecticut Mastery or Connecticut Academic Performance Tests are more related to the socio-economic backgrounds of the students than the quality of the school.

Pretty much all of West Hartford is safe. Some of the areas closer to Hartford particularly to south and east are just less desirable than other sections of town. Definitely stay west of the railroad tracks. The Elmwood area is considered a bit less desirable than other neighborhoods but I really think that will change once the busway begins operation and people discover the lower priced housing available there. Jay
I realize that you & I have had this argument several times before, but I have yet to encounter one person enthusiastic about FastTrack running through town. We are worried about it being under-utilized and bringing in a criminal element, something most towns would (understandably) like to avoid. The most aredent supporters of this project don't even live here and, quite frankly, couldn't care less about our concerns. Most residents I've talked to are more supportive of an Amtrak rail stop in town, which could materialize in that same stretch. As far as whether or not it will actually happen, who knows. That aside, Elmwood seems to be getting better all the time. They've almost finished re-paving and restoring New Britain Avenue, with street medians and brick sidewalks, and it looks really nice. I just can't wait for Pepe's to open -- this will definitely be a welcome presence in the neighborhood.

Old 06-14-2013, 03:00 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,903,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
I realize that you & I have had this argument several times before, but I have yet to encounter one person enthusiastic about FastTrack running through town. We are worried about it being under-utilized and bringing in a criminal element, something most towns would (understandably) like to avoid. The most aredent supporters of this project don't even live here and, quite frankly, couldn't care less about our concerns. Most residents I've talked to are more supportive of an Amtrak rail stop in town, which could materialize in that same stretch. As far as whether or not it will actually happen, who knows. That aside, Elmwood seems to be getting better all the time. They've almost finished re-paving and restoring New Britain Avenue, with street medians and brick sidewalks, and it looks really nice. I just can't wait for Pepe's to open -- this will definitely be a welcome presence in the neighborhood.
I do not want to get into a debate again on the busway (Fastrak) but what difference do you really think there will be in the "element" using the busway verses a train? Trains can attrack the same people that you fear as a bus can. Jay

Old 06-14-2013, 04:11 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,775,839 times
Back to the OP's questions. Yes, there is a difference among the elementary schools in town. Look on Greatschools.org, and it will give you a breakdown of the demographics of the elementary schools in town, including percentage of children receiving subsidized lunch. Charter Oak is over 80% minority, and has many of the same issues as inner city schools. Smith's figure is over 60%. Both of these schools receive extra resources from the town, consisting of mandated smaller class sizes and a host of other extras to try to bring the test scores up to those of the rest of the town. Wolcott does not receive these extras, but is getting to the point that it possibly should. Whiting Lane also has some of the same demographic issues. Norfeldt, Aiken, Bugbee, Braeburn, and Duffy largely do not draw on areas with these issues. Webster Hill and Morley have a mixed population, don't receive any special help. As for walkable to the center, there are areas of Braeburn, Duffy, Whiting Lane, Webster Hill, Morley, Smith, and Bugbee that are walkable to the center. But it is nice to be within walking distance of Bishop's Corner or Elmwood, too. Here is a map of the elementary school boundaries:

https://west-hartford.com/GIS/maplib...lDistricts.pdf

We have lived here for over twelve years, raising kids. It's a very nice place to live. Tons of recreational opportunities for the entire family. The town has a "Leisure Services" department, with a quarterly guide to the hundreds of activities here. Gorgeous indoor pool complex, superb indoor skating rink. Numerous outdoor pools, parks, two town public golf courses. Fantastic town library with three branches. Well-educated population, overall quite liberal and tolerant. A racially diverse population, also economically diverse. Substantially middle class. High taxes but you get a lot for it. Town is definitely NOT going downhill - houses here are in high demand.

Have you considered looking at Longmeadow itself? It has a lot of what West Hartford has. In fact, when we were deciding where to live, the other town we were considering was Longmeadow. You should probably look at both of them.

Old 06-14-2013, 05:56 PM

21,722 posts, read 28,055,508 times
West Hartford will definitely meet your needs. Maybe consider Northampton too.

Old 06-15-2013, 09:19 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,022,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
Have you considered looking at Longmeadow itself? It has a lot of what West Hartford has. In fact, when we were deciding where to live, the other town we were considering was Longmeadow. You should probably look at both of them.
Agreed. I wondered what the OP found wrong with Longmeadow.

Old 06-15-2013, 09:58 AM

49 posts, read 80,398 times
Thanks for the comments, especially Parentologist . . . I do not wish to reside in Western MA. Longmeadow is an ultra suburban town of 15,000 with a small handful of shops and restaurants. West Hartford is a small city of 65,000. As I stated in my op, want to get away from a small town. Looking for a vibrant, walkable downtown area, more culture, arts, etc. Very much enjoy Midtown, Beacon Hill, even East Side of Providence, but don't want to live in those areas with an elementary schooler. Even though there is a thread from the Spring about WH schools and one from last year, it's great to hear from others about schools, neighborhoods, the general vibe of the area, and pros and cons of living there!

Old 06-15-2013, 10:07 AM

21,722 posts, read 28,055,508 times
You'd probably like the New Haven area too. Unfortunately it's not an option with that commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut