Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 07:17 AM

3,350 posts, read 4,167,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
If you look beyond the month to month comparison, you will see a decent improvement in the Fairfield market. In the year to date figures, unit sales, average price median price, sales to list ratio and square foot price are all up. Down is the inventory, supply and market time which together means the housing market is rebounding. Is it the 15 to 20% that one poster claims, unlikely but it is clearly doing better. Jay
While I agree, Larsm is claiming that prices are 15-20% higher relative to two years ago. This is not accurate, and in fact home prices and selling prices over that time frame reflect a slight decline in Fairfield. Housing is seeing a recovery although this may be slowing with the 30 year breaking 4% in May. New mortgage apps have fallen fairly dramatically at both the local and national level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2013, 11:27 AM

216 posts, read 564,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonaZoo View Post
OP, have you considered moving to Georgia, North Carolina, or Tennessee? Many of the Northeastern transplants in FL who have become priced out of the Northeast after living in FL for a number of years end up settling in these states because of their overall lower cost-of-living. These folks are referred to as "halfbacks," LOL.

There are plenty of professional jobs to be had in Atlanta, Charlotte, and Raleigh. On the other hand, I'm not quite sure if the same can be said for the Tennessee cities; however, Tennessee does not have a state income tax.

If you and your wife aren't educated, I would look into Houston or Dallas.
The option has been presented to us before by many others. I would never move to Texas period. To me, it's just as flat and boring as Florida and I think Houston is hotter and more humid. Actually, a lot of people we've met here are counting the days till they can leave, and most of them are wanting to head to Tennessee. It is a very popular, cool weather, mountainous landscape many permanent Floridians vacation to. They all love it there. One of the major factors of our return is medical care. Our youngest son has special needs, and his medical care has been less than 100%. It is not the worst by any means, but it is not the best for us. He was diagnosed and treated in Florida, and I won't knock them as I believe they saved his life, but for ongoing treatment and follow-up, the hospitals in New England, specifically Boston, are the best in the world.

Old 06-18-2013, 12:44 PM

399 posts, read 851,060 times
Best of luck to you and your son - I hope he gets the care he needs.

Old 06-18-2013, 10:49 PM

21,749 posts, read 28,070,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
While I agree, Larsm is claiming that prices are 15-20% higher relative to two years ago. This is not accurate, and in fact home prices and selling prices over that time frame reflect a slight decline in Fairfield. Housing is seeing a recovery although this may be slowing with the 30 year breaking 4% in May. New mortgage apps have fallen fairly dramatically at both the local and national level.
I sure am glad I secured my 3.25% refi while the going was good.

Old 06-18-2013, 11:17 PM

30 posts, read 70,550 times
CT house prices are ridiculous, way over the top! I've been to Stamford, Darien, etc. and sure it's nice, but it's damn expensive.

Old 06-19-2013, 03:37 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,799,572 times
Prices here in Granby continue to drop. Many homes, including new construction, have reduced their prices as much as 10% over the past few months. Many of the owners of these homes worked for companies in Windsor, Windsor Locks, and East Granby that have moved out of state along with their well-paid executives.

Old 06-19-2013, 09:16 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,134,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kather41 View Post
CT house prices are ridiculous, way over the top! I've been to Stamford, Darien, etc. and sure it's nice, but it's damn expensive.
You've taken a small sample of the what is arguably the most expensive area of the country...

I think you'd find housing a lot more reasonable in New Haven Country and especially Hartford County.

Old 06-19-2013, 09:35 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,419,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
You've taken a small sample of the what is arguably the most expensive area of the country...

I think you'd find housing a lot more reasonable in New Haven Country and especially Hartford County.
Agreed. People who are not very familiar with Connecticut are unaware we aren't all living in $600,000 Cape Cod style homes on small acreage. Fairfield County is far removed from the metro Hartford area or eastern CT...your Dariens and Stamfords are nothing like the rest of the state.

Old 06-19-2013, 07:44 PM

21,749 posts, read 28,070,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
Agreed. People who are not very familiar with Connecticut are unaware we aren't all living in $600,000 Cape Cod style homes on small acreage.
That's a bargain for a lot of far SW CT.

Old 06-20-2013, 06:11 AM

216 posts, read 564,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
Agreed. People who are not very familiar with Connecticut are unaware we aren't all living in $600,000 Cape Cod style homes on small acreage. Fairfield County is far removed from the metro Hartford area or eastern CT...your Dariens and Stamfords are nothing like the rest of the state.
I have to also agree with that statement. We are looking at mainly Southern Middlesex County, western New Haven County, and Eastern New London County. Towns like Deep River, Chester, Killingworth, Clinton, Old Saybrook, Westbrook, North Branford, Guilford, Old Lyme, Old Saybrook. I almost wish we were targeting Hartford County but it might be a little bit of a commute for my wife to West Haven. I would hate for her to have to travel through 2 cities (Hartford and New Haven), every day. These target areas, although not as expensive as Fairfield County, are still in the higher price range. I will never forget when I went to visit an old friend from high school who recently moved to Wilton. He was an everyday transit commuter to NYC. When he told me over the phone he paid almost a million for his house, I pictured a huge mansion style home. When I pulled in his driveway, I double-checked the address because all I saw was a normal looking raised ranch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut