Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 11:57 AM

24 posts, read 35,551 times

Advertisements

My family is preparing to move to Connecticut in the Summer of 2014. We currently live in Southern CA, San Diego to be exact. My husband has already made a trip out to Connecticut to attend a conference and spend a couple of days checking out the state. We then made a trip together this past September so that I could see the state first hand. We stayed with my aunt who lives in Clinton. I was very much impressed with the state. It is gorgeous (granted I was there in September when the leaves start to change and just missed Hurricane Sandy by a few weeks). My husband and I have had an ongoing conversation about moving to Connecticut since we started dating about nine years ago, even though we had never been there. I would always Google search info on Connecticut and images of different towns. Anyways, his job in San Diego allows him to transfer to Connecticut in about a year. We are so excited. We are planning on moving to Glastonbury, CT or the border of Manchester and Glastonbury. I have done a lot of reading and research on the state and have spent a few days walking around Hartford, Manchester and Glastonbury. Let's just say, I am in love. Anyways, I just wanted to post here, as I have read some posts about CT in the past, to see if anyone had any advice or comments about Connecticut....things they love, things I should prepare for, really any advice is welcome. I know one thing is snow....I have been to the snow, but I have never lived in the snow. For example, when visiting my aunt she told me about how some homes need to have their oil filled yearly. I have never experienced this. All comments are greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2013, 12:59 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Hi and welcome to Connecticut. It sounds like you have done your research. Glastonbury is a great town with many lovely neighborhoods. The section of town near Manchester is generally called East Glastonbury and if you live near or off Manchester Road it would be easy to get into the center of Manchester. That said, Glastonbury itself has a very nice downtown area which I am sure you will like as well.

Glastonbury is one of the more expensive towns in the greater Hartford region. This is primarily because it has excellent schools and families with children are willing to pay more to live for them. You do not say if you have children but if you do not and you are on a tight budget, you might consider other less expensive towns.

As to your comment on the oil, you only have to worry about refilling the tank if you have oil heat. Some sections of Glastonbury have natural gas for heating and it is generally less expensive to have. Also note that unless you have a very large oil tank, you may have to fill it more than once a year.

Anyway, again welcome to our website and let us know if you have any other questions. Jay

Old 06-19-2013, 01:13 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,806,067 times
itsallcrystlclr

We are taking a trip to San Diego in July for a conference and to check out San Diego for a possible move from Connecticut. why do you want to move East?

We are considering move to SD for the weather, the beaches, and the more laid back lifestyle. the cost of homes in SD is a big negative though.

Old 06-19-2013, 01:26 PM

7,517 posts, read 13,621,554 times
Smile Getting ready for winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsallcrystlclr View Post
My family is preparing to move to Connecticut in the Summer of 2014. We currently live in Southern CA, San Diego ...... I know one thing is snow....I have been to the snow, but I have never lived in the snow...........
About the time you make the move, be sure and post back asking about details re winter issues, such as
Winterizing vehicles
Winterizing house
Winter clothes
Winter driving
School closings

It's all good, you just need to know and be prepared

Old 06-19-2013, 01:40 PM

64 posts, read 443,289 times
My husband and I just moved to CT after 9 years in San Diego! We really love being back...even though I know the winter temps will be tough when I hear from my friends back in SD that it is sunny and 70 in January We live in Essex and really love the small town feel, the absence of traffic, the friendly vibe, awesome schools, lower housing prices, and being surrounded by so much nature. I just wish I was closer to a Trader Joes! Anyway...Glastonbury is very nice and I wish you the best of luck. Love your enthusiasm!

Old 06-19-2013, 02:06 PM

83,516 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsallcrystlclr View Post
I was very much impressed with the state. It is gorgeous ..
Best line of that post.

You're going from a Latitude of about 32°N to 41°N so right away there's going to be a weather change to get used to. Also note the water temps near San Diego stay between 61-70°, here the water temps drop to 40s in winter.

High Temp ..... The average High temp in San Diego in Jan-Feb is 65°, here its in the 30s. In fact all year San Diego averages 65-75° Max temps but 4 months of the year max is 30s/40s here. And notice in the summer its higher in the 80s here.

Rain... Another key point to look at in this graphic is rainfall. San Diego averages 10 inches of rain a year. We just got 10 inches in 2 weeks. LOL! Pretty extreme but notice we average over 40 inches of rain a year.

Snow.... I'm sure your aunt has opinions on that.

Bottom line... There's more flip flop extreme weather here compared to there. You'll go through nasty humidity in the 90s, freezing cold and knee deep snow, rapid melt and ice, torrential rains and floods, sunny dry days, and droughts within a few months time. lol

But once a resident, you learn to deal with it and eventually it becomes the normal and no big deal.

Last edited by Cambium; 12-06-2016 at 05:15 AM..

Old 06-19-2013, 02:20 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,849,708 times
I live in SD and love CT...wish I could afford to retire there. Take a trip, up Route 7 as I recall, (western side of CT), and go visit the towns up in that area, especially in the fall. So much fun! I drove from Rhode Island along the southern shore area to Westbury (where Paul Newman lived) and up to Danbury and further north. There's some pretty country up there and great little towns. Once you get outside the bigger cities, there aren't mobs of people and the traffic is fine. You can go to Rhode Island (Newport), Cape Cod, all sorts of places. New England is small as far as getting around and compared to driving in SoCal so you can take in all the towns eventually! Lots of day trips. NYC and Boston are easy to visit too.

It's very different than SoCal, but I think you'll like it, although the taxes and property taxes there are high as I recall.

Old 06-19-2013, 02:59 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
loveautumn - Paul Newman lived in Westport. his wife Joanne Woodward still lives there and is very active in the fabulous Westport Country Playhouse. The section of the state north of Danbury is Litchfield County which is wonderful. The great thing about Connecticut is that not only is there a lot to do in the state itself, there is so much more not far away. You want mountains? Vermont and New Hampshire are a couple of hour drive north. You want big city? New York is a couple of hours to the southwest. You want beach? RI and Cape Cod are a couple of hours east. You want history? You can't turn around without tripping over something historic just about anywhere in the state. This is why so many people do love it here, including me. Jay

Old 06-19-2013, 07:43 PM

21,752 posts, read 28,077,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
Winterizing vehicles
Winterizing house
Other than winter tires and making sure the gutters are clean, I don't do anything to winterize.

Old 06-19-2013, 08:18 PM

7,517 posts, read 13,621,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Other than winter tires and making sure the gutters are clean, I don't do anything to winterize.
That's because you already know to disconnect the garden hoses before they freeze, and to use windshield washer fluid that is freeze proof, not straight water. Also to carry a snow brush and ice scraper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut