Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 08:25 PM

625 posts, read 2,050,483 times

Advertisements

If you know you are going to stay here for less than 3 years and don't want to become a landlord in the future, my advice is most often to continue renting. Realize that when you sell there is usually a 6-7% "cost" associated with selling between paying an agent to sell your house (the most common route) and state/town conveyance tax. That doesn't include hiring an attorney and items you'd need to fix related to a buyer's home inspection. If you have little to no down payment, the money you'd be paying every month into a mortgage is going to mostly the interest payment- you're not really building much equity during those first few years.

One caveat to this is if you know you have a job that will offer a relocation package that would pick up selling costs and/or buy you out of the house.

Renting may seem like a waste of money, but it may be better than the alternative you face when trying to sell in just a couple of years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2013, 11:31 PM

7 posts, read 8,510 times
Hey there, I'm not going to get into the calculations at all -- I trust that you can talk to a few lenders and try some of those online calculators that can figure out your costs for rent vs. buy depending on length of expected stay, rates, down payment, etc.

But I'm going to give you my totally personal advice regarding buying because of pressure from family, the attraction to build equity instead of "throwing money away" at rent, being tired of apartment living, it being a "great time to buy," thinking you could always rent it out, etc. Because that was exactly my situation in 2009 when I bought a condo in Chicago, knowing that I would likely move away in 2 years. Well, I don't completely regret it, but I can tell you that it has been a TON of work -- viewing places, the emotional roller coaster of the offer process, the inspection, meeting with lenders and agents and lawyers, all aspects of maintenance (learning everything so you're informed enough to either DIY or hire the right professional), finding renters, drawing up leases, finding an on-call "super" to take care of maintenance after I moved out of state, keeping in touch with the HOA, etc... and I'm probably still leaving off a lot of random stuff in between that I'm forgetting about now. Think about the opportunity cost of that time, which I'd estimate at a few hundred hours cumulative. Also think about the potential stress all of this extra work creates. And I don't even have kids! If you know you're not gonna stress about these things and can get the help you need perhaps through your mother, then it seems more viable. If I were you though, I'd keep renting, and start saving for a down payment for when I'm ready to settle in one place for the long term.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut