Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 09:08 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,833,334 times

Advertisements

Now that I've been living in Norwalk for a short while and became more familiar with the surrounding areas, I think I would prefer to live in Westport more than any other nearby town. It's the nicest one IMO and the vibe is good. It's beautiful, quaint, clean, convenient, progressive and quiet. And the people are nice, too. I have yet to see any mass snootiness in FFC, to be honest. Virtually all of my interactions with others have been favorable and the people are nice.

However, Stamford seems to have sort of a yuppie Jersey Shore attitude at times. I wouldn't want to live there. It's nice and clean with lots of gentrification and reminds me of Charlotte in many ways. Even my friend came up here last week from Charlotte and said Stamford felt like home with the new and clean appearance.

I don't have a problem with Norwalk, really. It's fine by me. The SoNo yuppie vibe is also annoying IMO. But in the future, if I have the opportunity to change apartments or purchase a home around here, I would look into Westport. Fairfield would be my second choice.

Darien has a weird vibe and just feels very cramped and snooty, actually.

I also think upper Westchester County is absolutely beautiful country.

Also, the job is simply fabulous. Great company, great people to work with, great atmosphere and great pay/benefits. I would be pretty upset if I was laid off. Couldn't say that about my previous jobs. I'm glad I took the job though, because it confirms that working in a small company environment is best for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2013, 11:53 PM

21,495 posts, read 27,738,410 times
Hmm, I worked in Westport for 5 years and don't see any difference in the snooty level between Darien and Westport.

I found Westport residents to be a mix. Some are extremely friendly, some are rude and materialistic to a fault. I encountered a lot of rude housewife types at the grocery stores and Starbucks as I was out and about. I've had friends that live there and coworkers that say the same.

That said, no town exists that's completely snooty. There's a pretty consistent correlation with affluence and attitude, and there are good people everywhere.

Westport offers a lot and is a great town. I personally prefer it up the coast, but if I had tons of money to spend on a house and wanted to be in that area, Fairfield or Westport would be my first choices as well.

Old 07-13-2013, 01:57 PM

21,495 posts, read 27,738,410 times
That said, 500k is really the minimum amount to even get in the Westport game. Do you really want to spend that much when you could get something in Norwalk so much cheaper?

Westport might be a good place for you to rent though.

Old 07-13-2013, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
That said, 500k is really the minimum amount to even get in the Westport game. Do you really want to spend that much when you could get something in Norwalk so much cheaper?

Westport might be a good place for you to rent though.
It wont be a problem if I get married to someone who makes at least equal income that I make.

Old 07-13-2013, 05:21 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,696,328 times
Nep, I just wanted to say I'm glad you have a job you enjoy and have settled into Fairfield county. I think this your first positive thread start ever. I guess this turned out to be the right move for this point in your life after all.

Old 07-13-2013, 07:13 PM

13,966 posts, read 13,732,599 times
Would a Westport woman date a guy from Bridgeport or New Haven

Old 07-13-2013, 07:47 PM

10,004 posts, read 11,072,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
Nep, I just wanted to say I'm glad you have a job you enjoy and have settled into Fairfield county. I think this your first positive thread start ever. I guess this turned out to be the right move for this point in your life after all.
For now.... Na...hope it works for you this time.

Old 07-13-2013, 08:05 PM

680 posts, read 1,568,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
For now.... Na...hope it works for you this time.
lol +1

Old 07-13-2013, 11:21 PM

Actually, to answer Stylo's question earlier, if I were married to another man who also earned the same income as I did (not even counting bonuses), we could easily afford a home up to $700K. So, we could probably afford something half decent in Westport for that matter. But I'm just being hypothetical lol.

In reality, I will probably be single for at least a few more years....if not forever. That means that I will probably have to move out of FFC if I wish to pursue home ownership. I can't tell you how many 30-somethings work in my company and they are still renting. That was not the case back in Hartford County, where more people in that age group seemed to own a home.

Old 07-14-2013, 12:01 AM

9,786 posts, read 14,629,901 times
Oh oh, I think whomever said that this is probably the most positive thread Nep has ever created spoke a little too soon. I'm beginning to notice a change in the tide with that last post...

BTW, I like Westport too, but I could never live there. The vibe of that town is worthy for a day's trip, but I can't have that on a daily basis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut