Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 12:02 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times

Advertisements

I actually don't support Tolls , I support Congestion pricing which could be used to fund Transportation projects in and around Stamford , New Haven and Hartford. With Congestion pricing I would also scrap the car tax and lower the gas tax since the 3 major cities would have enough money to fund their Transportation related projects. Its a good idea and works in alot of other cities , I would charge a max of 5$ during Rush hr to enter Downtown Stamford , Downtown New Haven and Hartford from the Interstates and Major Highways . Traveling through the city I would charge 3$ , it would be open road tolling. Local Deliveries , Carpooling , Taxis and Public Transportation would be exempt. There would be no tolling on Holiday's and Weekends....and off peak tolls would be 2$. Doing the Math , with all the cars which enter or travel through the cities , Stamford would generate about 1.5 billion in Tolls , New Haven around 1.2 Billion and Hartford about 1.1 billion...that's more then Border tolls and tolls gates around the state. Congestion pricing has been shown to reduce congestion , and get even more people on to public transportation or carpooling...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2013, 03:32 AM

4,319 posts, read 4,206,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Congestion pricing has been shown to reduce congestion , and get even more people on to public transportation or carpooling...
I have been researching London's CP, since it is the example being used to push CP in NYC, no less than 3 blocks from where I live. What I have learned so far is that the CP advocates say that CP reduced congestion by 7% in the beginning, then now it is about the same as before, and now it is hard to say also because London has been doing utility work. They claim now that it would have been worse. They basically are not sure.

Again, this is the wolf telling us how good a job he is doing guarding the lambs. Now, the lambs of course have a much different take on things. According to the lambs, about 20% of business have been adversely affected, many have shut down or relocated.

Before you ask for links, you go ahead, and provide yours first. And try to research CP from lambs' perspective as well.

Old 07-17-2013, 08:52 AM

140 posts, read 259,563 times
I personally don't care for tolls at all, probably because I'm from Arizona where we didn't have any tolled highways/roads. But at the same time I don't think they are all that of a huge deal either.

Old 07-17-2013, 11:13 AM

11,298 posts, read 18,888,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
I have been researching London's CP, since it is the example being used to push CP in NYC, no less than 3 blocks from where I live. What I have learned so far is that the CP advocates say that CP reduced congestion by 7% in the beginning, then now it is about the same as before, and now it is hard to say also because London has been doing utility work. They claim now that it would have been worse. They basically are not sure.

Again, this is the wolf telling us how good a job he is doing guarding the lambs. Now, the lambs of course have a much different take on things. According to the lambs, about 20% of business have been adversely affected, many have shut down or relocated.

Before you ask for links, you go ahead, and provide yours first. And try to research CP from lambs' perspective as well.
Also, is there anyone else besides London that has actually done CP?

Old 07-17-2013, 11:38 AM

3,350 posts, read 4,168,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Technically among major cities, Milan, Singapore, and London. Technically also Durham, England, Riga (Latvia) and most of Malta.

Surprisingly, Hong Kong recently rejected CP (with a supermajority opposing, despite immense traffic). Similar outcome for Edinburgh, Scotland.

Old 07-17-2013, 12:37 PM

691 posts, read 1,150,355 times
I don't see any other solution to the I-95 mess other than tolling.

We've heard over and over again that the state lacks sufficient right-of-way for expansion; and that acquiring said right-of-way would be astronomically costly and would displace thousands of people.

A double-deck was proposed several years ago...yet due to the NIMBY's it was promptly rejected...in spite of overwhelming approval by the FFC business community.

That leaves tolling as the only semblance of a solution. It would help keep short-distance trips to a minimum. As there's an exit per mile along the 45 mile stretch from the state line to New Haven, it's all too common for people to hop on the freeway for 2-3 miles to run errands or something of that nature. Additionally, if peak pricing were established (say anywhere from $5-10 to travel from the state line to exit 15 for those who work in Westchester County) it would help ensure that only those taking essential trips would be on the road from perhaps 7-9 AM and 3-7 PM. The soccer mom heading to the mall during those hours would then perhaps be motivated to travel during non-peak hours. Is it expensive for commuters? Absolutely. However, if it could help ensure a smoother rush hour (perhaps average speeds of 30-40 mph?), consider the savings in terms of wasted fuel and wasted time.

Old 07-17-2013, 01:13 PM

2,601 posts, read 3,397,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulpfiction View Post

We've heard over and over again that the state lacks sufficient right-of-way for expansion; and that acquiring said right-of-way would be astronomically costly and would displace thousands of people.

A double-deck was proposed several years ago...yet due to the NIMBY's it was promptly rejected...in spite of overwhelming approval by the FFC business community.

That leaves tolling as the only semblance of a solution. It would help keep short-distance trips to a minimum. As there's an exit per mile along the 45 mile stretch from the state line to New Haven, it's all too common for people to hop on the freeway for 2-3 miles to run errands or something of that nature. Additionally, if peak pricing were established (say anywhere from $5-10 to travel from the state line to exit 15 for those who work in Westchester County) it would help ensure that only those taking essential trips would be on the road from perhaps 7-9 AM and 3-7 PM. The soccer mom heading to the mall during those hours would then perhaps be motivated to travel during non-peak hours. Is it expensive for commuters? Absolutely. However, if it could help ensure a smoother rush hour (perhaps average speeds of 30-40 mph?), consider the savings in terms of wasted fuel and wasted time.
You can't be using congestion pricing in a suburban area.(the entire 95 corridor is jacked) It's silly. Only places that have even thought about doing this are MAJOR huge cities like nyc/Tokyo/london type cities. Only solution is government just to snatch up the land(eminant domain or something like that) and expand the highway. Or just continue the way it is. That's the two options.

Old 07-17-2013, 02:29 PM

3,350 posts, read 4,168,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulpfiction View Post

With traffic most stressed during rush hour, exactly how will tolling reduce the number of travelers? How many employers will suddenly shift to flex-time or work from home? Most of the drivers causing the terrible traffic don't have much of a choice as to when to be on the road. All your proposal does is line the pockets of Hartford while further reducing income of employees.

Old 07-17-2013, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
With traffic most stressed during rush hour, exactly how will tolling reduce the number of travelers? How many employers will suddenly shift to flex-time or work from home? Most of the drivers causing the terrible traffic don't have much of a choice as to when to be on the road. All your proposal does is line the pockets of Hartford while further reducing income of employees.
Very true. Hartford is the problem, because it is not solving the problem. Yet, we reward Hartford, and punish people who can afford the least.

I can also tell you this, wealthy people riding in their limos to Manhattan ain't gonna blink at a $ 5 toll. So they ain't getting off I-95.

Old 07-17-2013, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
I don't know. We were told NY's CP is modeled after London, so I researched that. NYers beat it, mainly because borough right outside CP limits would be flooded with cars, making it even worse. This was a problem in some London neighborhoods as well.

Without splitting hairs, there isn't any real difference between tolls and CP. It's basically the same thing -- we are held hostage and pay the piper. If there were better alternatives than driving, people wouldn't be driving. So that's the other reason why this problem is getting worse. There isn't yet a better alternative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut