Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 12:21 PM

2,601 posts, read 3,395,633 times

Advertisements

I don't get why anyone would want to live there. Most of the people that live there work in hartford.(avon is a hot spot for corp exec's). Avon is an absolutely horrid location for getting anywhere. It's also incredibly expensive. There's no town to walk around, unlike west harford center. It of course has zero highway access. Some people say they like this because it keeps it rural. One problem with that theory. Avon is NOT rural. It's typical mcmansion suburbia with terrible traffic and a ton of development on route 44/10. So I really see no reason why someone with a ton of money would just not choose to live in glastonbury, rocky hill, wethersfield, west hartford ect. Do they enjoy being around other snobs? Is that the draw to Avon? haha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2013, 12:37 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,852,893 times
You know that little busway project?

Well, people in Avon never have to worry about that cr*p coming through their neighborhood.

Not politically correct, but it is what it is.

Old 07-21-2013, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
You know that little busway project?

Well, people in Avon never have to worry about that cr*p coming through their neighborhood.

Not politically correct, but it is what it is.
lol....Yeah. I don't think the bus way goes through glastonbury, rocky hill ect.

Old 07-21-2013, 12:45 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,852,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
lol....Yeah. I don't think the bus way goes through glastonbury, rocky hill ect.
Yep. But G'bury still borders East Hartford and Manchester, so it's inevitable that some "element" will pass through the town. No such issue in Avon.

Old 07-21-2013, 01:08 PM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
I was going to say, I think the appeal is it being so homogeneously upper-middle class, and the associated lack of crime, good schools, pampered lawns, etc.

Old 07-21-2013, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Yep. But G'bury still borders East Hartford and Manchester, so it's inevitable that some "element" will pass through the town. No such issue in Avon.
haha

Old 07-21-2013, 02:55 PM

6,121 posts, read 5,084,587 times
Quote:
I don't get why anyone would want to live there. Most of the people that live there work in hartford.(avon is a hot spot for corp exec's). Avon is an absolutely horrid location for getting anywhere. It's also incredibly expensive. There's no town to walk around, unlike west harford center. It of course has zero highway access. Some people say they like this because it keeps it rural. One problem with that theory. Avon is NOT rural. It's typical mcmansion suburbia with terrible traffic and a ton of development on route 44/10. So I really see no reason why someone with a ton of money would just not choose to live in glastonbury, rocky hill, wethersfield, west hartford ect. Do they enjoy being around other snobs? Is that the draw to Avon? haha
I'm not sure as to the purpose of this post...maybe to be provocative...but I have to say I agree with you. Any commercial activity is literally limited to Rt 44, so if you live in Avon you have to go there for everything, usually on winding, rural roads. I do think there is a bit of a snob/isolationist appeal (Jay once called this the "Shangri-La"). Having said that, I wonder even more why folks want to live in Farmington, where you practically need to leave town for all shopping.

I think much more highly of Simsbury compared to either town. They still have the rural housing, but have put real effort into developing a town center, including a live music venue and bike-friendly establishments.

Old 07-21-2013, 05:46 PM

811 posts, read 1,738,028 times
All the reasons meantioned above are why I love Avon. Really like the scenery. Would really love to live that close to the Farmington river and outdoor opportunities of the Western hills. People's attitudes don't bother me, I deal with personalities that span the spectrum on a daily basis.

Old 07-21-2013, 08:35 PM

442 posts, read 455,489 times
Quote:

Looks like you're trolling, but I'll bite the bait.

What went wrong in your childhood?

Old 07-21-2013, 09:39 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,937,475 times
Similar to FFC, I think people in Avon are nice. Just because people have money doesn't mean they are snobs. Sure there are some, but there are also middle class snobs as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut