Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 08:36 PM

10,053 posts, read 14,923,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPerfect View Post
I recently enrolled in University of New Haven but I'm seeing as how pricey everything has come to be and also realized ill be in serious debt after college . So I went through my accepted college mail and seen i got a lot of scholarships from university of Bridgeport and I'm currently thinking about switching. Anyone has any advice. I see a lot of bad writings about Bridgeport and it being named fourth most dangerous. Would I have to worry about that on the college campus? How is the area around UB and are there things to do?
I think UNH is "better" in terms of reputation than UB, but I also know some people that did their education degree at UB and have done quite well for themselves. It may just be in education that UB has an advantage, I don't know.

My father graduated from UNH back in the 1980s and he's doing better than even he expected (he's in the top 2% of income earners in the state, if that means anything to you or maybe is your goal.) Part of it is definitely his own merit, but I also think the reputation of the university gave it more of a boost, especially in the beginning of his career.

If I were you, I wouldn't change unless the long term plan is to become a teacher. But maybe you know something additional about UB that I don't, besides the cheaper price tag.

The area of UB has a very bad reputation. The people that I know that did their education degree there all mentioned there were times they felt unsafe and many would never venture anywhere within the campus without going with someone. Venturing beyond the campus on foot was akin to wanting to commit suicide. I'm sure they exaggerated a bit, but the area does looks the part. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2013, 06:19 AM

7 posts, read 15,105 times
So I should stick with UNH ?

Old 07-23-2013, 11:29 AM

837 posts, read 2,081,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
I think UNH is "better" in terms of reputation than UB, but I also know some people that did their education degree at UB and have done quite well for themselves. It may just be in education that UB has an advantage, I don't know.

My father graduated from UNH back in the 1980s and he's doing better than even he expected (he's in the top 2% of income earners in the state, if that means anything to you or maybe is your goal.) Part of it is definitely his own merit, but I also think the reputation of the university gave it more of a boost, especially in the beginning of his career.
Where do you find the statistics about one's own income relative to the rest of the state? I am curious as to how high (and how low) that goes.

OP, I currently attend University of New Haven for their M.B.A. program, and have friends who completed their Undergraduate degrees. I can't speak about UB, but here are some general thoughts:

- The UNH campus itself is very safe and is contained within itself. If students venture off-campus, it is typically done via shuttle to party in downtown New Haven. Grocery shopping typically takes place at the Shoprite across the street. The Post Mall in Milford is a popular destination for more commercial shopping.

- There's not much incentive to venture into the "bad areas" of West Haven. If you're smart about it, you should not run into any issues.

- I agree that UB's neighborhood is far worse than West Haven's bad areas. But again, that's just based on observation and hearsay, and not personal experience.

- Tuition is really high no matter what institution you choose. Is it possible for you to go to a Community College for a year or two, and then switch over later on?

- UNH is definitely rising in those college ranking charts (e.g. U.S. News & World Report). UB has done well for itself, from what I understand, but UNH is the "superior" of the two schools from a reputation standpoint.

- Someone here once told me that UB has a very religious background/affiliation. I don't know specifics, but that is something to look deeper into if you have sensitivities (positive or negative) toward religion.

- What undergraduate program will you be studying in? I know that UNH is VERY well-known for Criminal Justice, and they also have a very strong Engineering school.

- For what it's worth, my girlfriend once looked into both UNH and UB. When she sent an email to both schools' admissions area asking for general information, UNH replied very quickly and UB didn't contact her for over 2 months.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions!

Old 07-23-2013, 11:37 AM

363 posts, read 634,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
The area of UB has a very bad reputation. The people that I know that did their education degree there all mentioned there were times they felt unsafe and many would never venture anywhere within the campus without going with someone. Venturing beyond the campus on foot was akin to wanting to commit suicide. I'm sure they exaggerated a bit, but the area does looks the part. lol
I had some guy try to carjack me while at a stoplight down there in the middle of the afternoon one day. No exaggeration is needed for that area, it's crap...

Old 07-23-2013, 04:10 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,851,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comp625 View Post

- I agree that UB's neighborhood is far worse than West Haven's bad areas. But again, that's just based on observation and hearsay, and not personal experience.

Hell, the "bad areas" of West Haven are better than 75% of Bridgeport.

Old 07-23-2013, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Hell, the "bad areas" of West Haven are better than 75% of Bridgeport.
Care to prove this statement?

Old 07-23-2013, 05:22 PM

Quote:
I believe you're trolling, but i'll play along anyway.

What do you propose?
Asking you to prove your statement that west haven is worse than Bridgeport isn't trolling big man. Give us some stats that prove west haven crime is more rampant than Bridgeport. Rather than shooting off BS statements that you can't verify, put some weight behind your comment. Unless of course your the troll?!?

Give us some stats on homicides, burglary, assaults, etc...

Old 07-23-2013, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Can i get some assistance from the C-D choir? I'm at a loss as to how this: says West Haven is worse than Bridgeport.
Holy crap dude, I feel like a complete idiot. I read your statement as west haven areas were worse than 75% of Bridgeport. My bad, I apologize!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut