Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 10:07 PM

404 posts, read 560,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
This statement says a LOT of about the person that made the comment and it is not good. Maybe there is a good reason she did not feel welcomed. It is hard to welcome someone that is so small minded. Glad she is in LA. Jay

I could not agree more. I long for the day when communities are viewed as a group of people and not racial statistics. I know this is much to expect and high expectations but it really starts with one person at a time. When I read this earlier, I had a hard time finding words to express what I wanted to say but you have found the right ones, small minded.

Old 11-11-2007, 02:13 AM

1,845 posts, read 4,228,760 times
People

Please don't misconstrue where I am coming from. I left SF four years ago to escape people who openly say they are open minded and love diversity, but who act and quietly say the opposite.

This is my wife's OLD ACQUAINTANCE... NOT her friend. Her comments about CT being very white are indicative of a "reverse discrimination" I want to avoid (Although my family is Asian). I do not want my kids growing up thinking they have special privileges because of the color of their skin. But I do want them to be aware that in some circumstances, they will not get equal treatment.

On the non racial front, it has been my experience that what passes for generally acceptable behavior in the Bay Area is a pretty low standard.

I need to gather data points on where I want my boys to grow up. Thanks for the responses and I hope to read more.

Old 11-11-2007, 05:47 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,022,184 times
Bob

I have read with interest your comments and seen them written elsewhere about the San Francisco Bay area's so called fake tolerance- interesting to say the least. Considering the regions incredible ethnic diversity and large gay population (San Francisco is over 40% gay)

I have spent much time in the bay area- and found a great deal of 'economic discrimination'.... 'the haves' do not mingle with the 'have nots'.

This economic chasm seems more prevalent along the coasts- but seems to be everywhere in the' Current American Society' we have evolved into. We have become it seems some sort of a 'plutocracy' or extreme Social Darwinist oligarchy.

Areas of great diversity can at times have many people living in close proximity to each other; but somehow They never really socially interact with one another, preferring to stay within their own 'community'. So much for diversity. However I prefer to meet others unlike myself, from different cultures and ethnic groups to learn. Its the only was we can judge each other for issues beyond skin color, religion or sexual orientation.

Old 11-11-2007, 05:53 AM

575 posts, read 3,132,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
Areas of great diversity can at times have many people living in close proximity to each other; but somehow They never really socially interact with one another, preferring to stay within their own 'community'. So much for diversity. However I prefer to meet others unlike myself, from different cultures and ethnic groups to learn. Its the only was we can judge each other for issues beyond skin color, religion or sexual orientation.

This is true especially in the United States. Ever notice when talking to someone on the phone whom you never known before you can figure out if they're black, hispanic, white, etc? just by the way in which they speak. Go into other countries in Europe like England, France and Italy, people normally don't have an accent based on race (it does happen, but not as frequent as in the United States) which shows a lack of integration and how people normall stay within their respective groups here.

Old 11-11-2007, 06:14 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,005,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob The Builder View Post
People

Please don't misconstrue where I am coming from. I left SF four years ago to escape people who openly say they are open minded and love diversity, but who act and quietly say the opposite.

This is my wife's OLD ACQUAINTANCE... NOT her friend. Her comments about CT being very white are indicative of a "reverse discrimination" I want to avoid (Although my family is Asian). I do not want my kids growing up thinking they have special privileges because of the color of their skin. But I do want them to be aware that in some circumstances, they will not get equal treatment.

On the non racial front, it has been my experience that what passes for generally acceptable behavior in the Bay Area is a pretty low standard.

I need to gather data points on where I want my boys to grow up. Thanks for the responses and I hope to read more.
Bob, I think you will do fine here. As far as the populated New England states go, and the NE in general, we are one of the more even keeled and balanced.

Old 11-11-2007, 06:31 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,005,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glxyman21 View Post
This is true especially in the United States. Ever notice when talking to someone on the phone whom you never known before you can figure out if they're black, hispanic, white, etc? just by the way in which they speak. Go into other countries in Europe like England, France and Italy, people normally don't have an accent based on race (it does happen, but not as frequent as in the United States) which shows a lack of integration and how people normall stay within their respective groups here.
You probably can't figure out social structure based on vocal inflection in Europe because you are not from there.

Example: I can ASSURE you the British know those who are "working class" from those of more "nobility" with large country homes.

Ask anyone around you in the UK and you will see Received Pronunciation contrasted with a with London Cockney.

BUT a Brit or Irishman can surely tell if someone is "Spanish" or "Italian" or "Danish" etc based on accent which is no different than your example of the "hispanics" in the US speaking "different".

Old 11-11-2007, 06:41 AM

J. Kerry had 10% margin of victory in 2004; a large margin - It was the same margin in California for the Democrats.

1996 and 2000 where huge pluralities for the Democrats. A 2-5 % margin is less of a mandate. That would be like PA-CT is a far stronger Democratic state then PA. I would say after 1988, the GOP's swing towards the far right of the political spectrum has turned many off in CT.

Also CT has the last remaining Republican congressmen in New England (Chris Shay's) It seems that Connecticut is part of an increasingly solid blue part of the country. Local elections in 2006 where reflective of local issues. I doubt they are to be considered a 'revival' of republicans nationally, given the dire feelings about the country currently- (23% say the nation is going in the right direction, compared to 63% who say it is going in the wrong direction)

I think most political scientists would agree that Connecticut leans left of center on a broad spectrum of issues. The state by in large is 'another world' compared to the south and most parts of the Midwest and parts of the far west.

Last edited by skytrekker; 11-11-2007 at 07:21 AM..

Old 11-11-2007, 07:29 AM

1,845 posts, read 4,228,760 times
Default Which direction is the Nation going?

(23% say the nation is going in the right direction, compared to 63% who say it is going in the wrong direction)

Is the nation opening its borders or closing them?
Are Teachers doing a good job or a bad job?
Is our health care good or bad?
Is rap music good or bad?
Should we be giving birth control to all kids or none?

What specific direction is right and which is wrong?

Old 11-11-2007, 07:31 AM

Just a note regarding this thread.

Any derogatory terms made about a city, state, town or individual(s) regarding their ethnic/racial makeup; sexual orientation, religion or lifestyle choices will not be tolerated.

Last edited by skytrekker; 11-11-2007 at 08:32 AM..

Old 11-11-2007, 07:33 AM

Bob

I think you hit on many important and sensitive issues.
I think the economy is a major and growing factor on that 63% 'wrong direction'. Many in America are feeling economically vulnerable; there are many reasons for this; health care issues, lack of pensions etc. The war is another sour spot.

The USA has become an increasingly 'corporate state' where ordinary workers have little security; while a small group at the top has increased their wealth exponentially in the last 30 years. Social and economic disparities breed unhappiness. The immigration issue is certainly on the minds of many here- and a solution seems difficult.

I think the increasingly dire look for the economy will deepen this mood. Considering gasoline could easily hit new highs soon, falling stocks, housing prices- add to the that soaring health care costs, soaring higher education costs, and rising prices on just about everything- the American populace has many reasons to be pessimistic about the future.

In my opinion neither political party has the courage to be able to solve any of these problems, unless bold new innovative ideas are used- the and powers may be will not take those chances. Where is Teddy Roosevelt, or FDR ?- this current crop running for President seems like mental midgets, compared to those giants of the past who where true reformers.

Last edited by skytrekker; 11-11-2007 at 08:09 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut