Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 02:50 PM

222 posts, read 413,123 times

Advertisements

OK, so this might seem frivolous to some people, but I am curious about opinions of folks who know from experience. We are starting to scope out a new town to move to in the next year or two, within a 75 minute train commute to NYC, with better schools than our current Stamford. I had my heart set on Fairfield as I love it for many reasons - the town center, the beaches, the range of modest to wealthier (we'd be in the middle). And of course, the schools.

Then I read that the middle schools start at 8:10 and the high schools start at 7:30 (!!!). Westport same thing. OK, my older child is 4, so not a problem for a long time but we only want to move once. Am I living in la-la land to think that's early? We know we are a later family, mainly because we value sleep. My son sleeps 11 hours and I hear the timing shifts later as you get older. I can't fathom a teenager getting up, dressed, fed, and school things gathered for a 7:30 start time. Sheesh, when do buses pickup??

This may sound like a silly reason to doubt a town/school district, and it might be. I would really like to hear from people who have handled this adjustment (more than be flamed for being a big baby!). Is it just a matter of "get over it and get organized"? Criminy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2013, 03:03 PM

2,856 posts, read 10,429,058 times
Hate to say it, but you need to get over it. All towns are like that and it is based on the buses, they can not be at more then one school at a time.
So Elementary schools typically start around 9am, middle schools typically starts between 8 and 8:30, and high schools start between 7:30ish and 7:50am.

The only schools that may vary their times would be private schools, but the variation wouldn't be much.

Think of it this way.....if your teenager has a hard time getting up, dressed, fed and off to school before 8am, then how do you suppose they will be able to hold down a job as an adult? The world doesn't start at 10am. So in my opinion, it simply trains your child to be responsible and show up on time as they will have to do the rest of their lives.

Old 07-23-2013, 03:09 PM

LOL - maybe that's why we work in advertising. We DO start at 10am!! I get your point, but being at work at 9am is not the same as 7:30.

I guess I finally found a benefit of Stamford schools - our k-8 starts at 8:55.

Hmph. Time to put on big girl pants I guess.

Old 07-23-2013, 03:14 PM

2,856 posts, read 10,429,058 times
With rush hour being at work for 9am can have you leaving your house by 8am. Which means getting up by 7 if not earlier.
I honestly wouldn't worry about it too much, the majority of high schoolers in this country go to school early and they all manage to do it.

Old 07-23-2013, 03:23 PM

Thanks KH02. I actually get myself up at 6:30 for work and to cook my boy's meals for the day (no chicken nuggets in our house!). My concern was literally about sleep and kids and them being exhausted and having to have a big ordeal every day. But I'm being negative.

this was kind of funny, I'm apparently *not* alone:

Petition Pushes for Later Starts for Middle, High Schools [POLL] - Schools - Fairfield, CT Patch

Old 07-23-2013, 03:28 PM

363 posts, read 635,000 times
My daughter goes to private school. K-8 starts at 7:30. Waking up a kindergarten kid at 6:30 is awful at times but she enjoyed getting out at 2:30

Old 07-23-2013, 03:42 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,131,290 times
Thousands of Connecticut high school students survive this ordeal. I suspect your kids will too...

I don't work in advertising and I'm usually the second one in the office at 7:15. Generally, people who get up early are healthier and more productive. Don't sweat it.

Old 07-23-2013, 05:24 PM

363 posts, read 635,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Thousands of Connecticut high school students survive this ordeal. I suspect your kids will too...

I don't work in advertising and I'm usually the second one in the office at 7:15. Generally, people who get up early are healthier and more productive. Don't sweat it.
Holy crap. We agree on something!?!?

Old 07-23-2013, 05:31 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,178,032 times
Yeah, I'm from Tennessee.

My high school started at 8:15, and I felt that it was late enough. I gave the start time a B grade; 8:30-9 would have scored an A. I graduated on May 21, 2011. I feel that 7:30 is way too early. Teenager's bodies are not built the same as adults; their circadian rhythms are later. 8am is the earliest acceptable start time for a high school.

As for the "world doesn't start at 10am" thing, I think all jobs where it's practical should have flex time where you could come in at any time from say 7 to 9 am. Human bodies are all different.

Old 07-23-2013, 08:31 PM

442 posts, read 455,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DairyGodmother View Post
OK, so this might seem frivolous to some people, but I am curious about opinions of folks who know from experience. We are starting to scope out a new town to move to in the next year or two, within a 75 minute train commute to NYC, with better schools than our current Stamford. I had my heart set on Fairfield as I love it for many reasons - the town center, the beaches, the range of modest to wealthier (we'd be in the middle). And of course, the schools.

Then I read that the middle schools start at 8:10 and the high schools start at 7:30 (!!!). Westport same thing. OK, my older child is 4, so not a problem for a long time but we only want to move once. Am I living in la-la land to think that's early? We know we are a later family, mainly because we value sleep. My son sleeps 11 hours and I hear the timing shifts later as you get older. I can't fathom a teenager getting up, dressed, fed, and school things gathered for a 7:30 start time. Sheesh, when do buses pickup??

This may sound like a silly reason to doubt a town/school district, and it might be. I would really like to hear from people who have handled this adjustment (more than be flamed for being a big baby!). Is it just a matter of "get over it and get organized"? Criminy.
My bus picked me up at 6:33 for high school. What time do your kids go to bed? Both my preschool kids go to bed at 7:30. Granted, they're up by 6:30.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KH02 View Post
Think of it this way.....if your teenager has a hard time getting up, dressed, fed and off to school before 8am, then how do you suppose they will be able to hold down a job as an adult? The world doesn't start at 10am. So in my opinion, it simply trains your child to be responsible and show up on time as they will have to do the rest of their lives.
This is just wrong. There is a huge difference between a teenager and an adult.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut