Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2013, 06:23 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,160,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
'
'I am a fan of generalizations. The South is generally bright red and conservative. Many people there generally hate the president (unless they are black) .

Generally the South is a Conservative place. And generally when they call you a "Yankee" it's not a good thing.

What can generalizing lead to...the truth.
Well, generalizing is not a bad thing as long as you remember not to judge a specific person by the generalization. Each person is his or her own entity. Heh, being called a Yankee is definitely not an affectionate term in the south.

Old 07-30-2013, 06:41 AM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times
There have been a couple of posts on this thread discussing other posters and questioning the Moderator's actions. This is against the rules of this forum. I had asked the OP for an explanation of the post but did not receive one. I suggest posters re-read the rules and review what they write before posting them. Also if there is an issue with other posters, report it to a Moderator. Do not discuss it on the open forum. The same goes for if you receive a Direct Message from another poster or if you receive reputation messages. JayCT, Moderator

Old 07-30-2013, 10:19 AM

11 posts, read 17,397 times
Default My reasons

Here are my reasons why I don't like CT. And keep in mind these are my reasons and I don't expect everyone to share my thoughts and feelings! I lived there for 6 years but my family relocated to Austin a few years back due to my husband's job and are now faced with possibly moving back, which I am none too happy about!

1) My children have thrived here; whereas our entire family found the people in CT to be standoffish and many definitely gave the impression that they didn't need any more friends! Everyone has been welcoming in Austin and reached out to our family to include us. People reached out to invite my children over, our entire family over, neighborhood activities etc. By the time we had lived here for 6 months, we knew everyone on our street by name whereas it took us 3 YEARS to even meet a lot of the people on our street in CT. People don't hole up in their houses for 6 months of the year here because they don't have to! Yes, it's hot in July and August but there is very little humidity in Austin so it is not as uncomfortable as an 80 degree day with humidity as is often the case in central CT. Plus everyone just hits the pool when it is hot here-much healthier alternative than holing up in your house for months on end! Hands down people are just friendlier and more outgoing here and no, I have not once been asked where I go to church!

2) Taxes!!! We lived in what was considered one of the upscale towns half way between Hartford and Bristol. We felt we had very few options in CT of what town to live in due to the schools as that was very important to us! Our property taxes were similar in both towns except there is no income tax here so it is a huge win budget-wise for our family! On our way out of CT some people warned us that the schools would be horrible in TX and that my children would not receive nearly as good of an education in Austin. I've never been one to believe that the answer to education is to throw more money at it and my experience in Austin is proof of that. Our school district in Austin (we are not in Austin school district) spends approximately $6K LESS per student per year compared to our town in CT and guess what??? the average SAT score is a mere 10 points less in my children's present district in TX! And they have many many more opportunities for advanced classes and honors clubs. Our old CT school district had to "cut" all that out because of budget issues. I don't feel that the taxation system of being town based is a smart choice for CT!

3) The weather stinks there! Just west of 84, we had snow on the ground consistently from early December to Easter. No green anywhere! Just dirty snow and trees that looked dead. The lack of sunshine took a toll on my emotional well-being; I spoke to my dr about it and did some research and learned from a meteorology site that northwest CT only receives 33% of possible sunshine in the winter and only 38% in the summer! I thought it odd that during my in-laws visit in August his solar watch would stop functioning! I used to live for the next sunny day and let me tell you they are very few and far between with lots of days with gray skies from horizon to horizon. And then summer comes and the trees leaf out and I literally felt claustrophobic from the feeling of being swallowed up by all the trees!! I no longer spend my life trying to schedule activities for my kids around the weather; there it was constantly: is it going to be warm enough? Is it going to rain? Sorry kids, stuck in the house again for another day!

4) Lack of community feel in CT; few seem to care about things beyond their own backyard! Whereas there is a strong community sense here with many opportunities to help those around you monetarily or time wise

Just my thoughts on a Tuesday morning! So definitely NOT looking forward to my next term in CT but that's where the job is so what can I do!

Old 07-30-2013, 10:31 AM

3,350 posts, read 4,168,214 times
Very little humidity? Austin is 88 with a 71 dewpoint today and it's not even noon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmombiz View Post
Here are my reasons why I don't like CT. And keep in mind these are my reasons and I don't expect everyone to share my thoughts and feelings! I lived there for 6 years but my family relocated to Austin a few years back due to my husband's job and are now faced with possibly moving back, which I am none too happy about!

1) My children have thrived here; whereas our entire family found the people in CT to be standoffish and many definitely gave the impression that they didn't need any more friends! Everyone has been welcoming in Austin and reached out to our family to include us. People reached out to invite my children over, our entire family over, neighborhood activities etc. By the time we had lived here for 6 months, we knew everyone on our street by name whereas it took us 3 YEARS to even meet a lot of the people on our street in CT. People don't hole up in their houses for 6 months of the year here because they don't have to! Yes, it's hot in July and August but there is very little humidity in Austin so it is not as uncomfortable as an 80 degree day with humidity as is often the case in central CT. Plus everyone just hits the pool when it is hot here-much healthier alternative than holing up in your house for months on end! Hands down people are just friendlier and more outgoing here and no, I have not once been asked where I go to church!

2) Taxes!!! We lived in what was considered one of the upscale towns half way between Hartford and Bristol. We felt we had very few options in CT of what town to live in due to the schools as that was very important to us! Our property taxes were similar in both towns except there is no income tax here so it is a huge win budget-wise for our family! On our way out of CT some people warned us that the schools would be horrible in TX and that my children would not receive nearly as good of an education in Austin. I've never been one to believe that the answer to education is to throw more money at it and my experience in Austin is proof of that. Our school district in Austin (we are not in Austin school district) spends approximately $6K LESS per student per year compared to our town in CT and guess what??? the average SAT score is a mere 10 points less in my children's present district in TX! And they have many many more opportunities for advanced classes and honors clubs. Our old CT school district had to "cut" all that out because of budget issues. I don't feel that the taxation system of being town based is a smart choice for CT!

3) The weather stinks there! Just west of 84, we had snow on the ground consistently from early December to Easter. No green anywhere! Just dirty snow and trees that looked dead. The lack of sunshine took a toll on my emotional well-being; I spoke to my dr about it and did some research and learned from a meteorology site that northwest CT only receives 33% of possible sunshine in the winter and only 38% in the summer! I thought it odd that during my in-laws visit in August his solar watch would stop functioning! I used to live for the next sunny day and let me tell you they are very few and far between with lots of days with gray skies from horizon to horizon. And then summer comes and the trees leaf out and I literally felt claustrophobic from the feeling of being swallowed up by all the trees!! I no longer spend my life trying to schedule activities for my kids around the weather; there it was constantly: is it going to be warm enough? Is it going to rain? Sorry kids, stuck in the house again for another day!

4) Lack of community feel in CT; few seem to care about things beyond their own backyard! Whereas there is a strong community sense here with many opportunities to help those around you monetarily or time wise

Just my thoughts on a Tuesday morning! So definitely NOT looking forward to my next term in CT but that's where the job is so what can I do!

Old 07-30-2013, 10:33 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,160,026 times
Quote:

Yes..100 degrees for four straight months is great weather Enjoy!

Old 07-30-2013, 10:35 AM

Default And....

Septic and oil heat are just insane! What year is this 1950?? I call living in in CT my "living off the grid" phase! Only it wasn't a cost savings! CT needs to join the modernization if America; I think progress passed it over!

Old 07-30-2013, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Yes..100 degrees for four straight months is great weather Enjoy!
Like I said, July and August are hot with temps most days in the 90s or low 100s which I personally will take anytime over 4 to 5 months of cold gray skies and rain for the rest of the year! June and September are 80s and some days in the 90s.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:41 AM

2,256 posts, read 4,497,126 times
Quote:

If I disliked a place so much I could never move for a job unless its like 2/3 or more away from a GREAT pension.
Not liking the winter, then not liking the trees 'leaved in" you most certainly do not like seasons and belong in open, desert like enviroments.
I guess some of it is YOUR neighborhood, because as far being cooped up inside during winter months, everyone I know goes skiing, snow boarding, hiking, snowmobiling, raceing down south/out west, and vacations in Baja.
They make these things called "winter clothes" btw that make it possible for anyone to enjoy the outdoors during the cold/snow. They are good enough that unless youre just standing still you'll warm up enough where you'll have to start peeling layers off as you heat up.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
Very little humidity? Austin is 88 with a 71 dewpoint today and it's not even noon!
The few point starts out higher in the morning and drops throughout so that by the time it is actually hot outside the air is dry. I'm outside right now enjoying the beautiful breeze and its very nice!

Old 07-30-2013, 10:46 AM

2,256 posts, read 4,497,126 times
Quote:
Septic and oil heat are just insane! What year is this 1950?? I call living in in CT my "living off the grid" phase! Only it wasn't a cost savings! CT needs to join the modernization if America; I think progress passed it over!

Or you could just stay where you are. If youre so unhappy with it then coming back is just like a battered wife/dyfunctional realationship. I hate you! I cant be without you!..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut