Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2013, 11:46 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,158,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFC_Or_Bust View Post
Connecticut blows. Pretty much sums up the whole state, but hey, that's just my opinion because there's plenty of boring people that love a boring state apparently.

I moved to Texas after never thinking I'd leave CT just a few short years ago, but then I opened up my mind to other possibilities and started traveling the country. The weather alone is enough to make you want to jump off the nearest overpass, 6 month winters are not how I envisioned living the rest of my life, neither was a 2 month summer. For someone who likes spending a lot of time outside not bundled up, Connecticut does not fit the bill.

Cost of living and getting taxed on everything in the world also wore quickly on me, I currently make less per hour than what I made in CT but I take home more money and the dollar goes much further even though I live in "expensive" Austin.
You want to move back dont ya...

Its okay..when you get tired of 100 degrees every day we will allow you back.

Old 08-03-2013, 12:05 PM

2,256 posts, read 4,496,521 times
Quote:
Connecticut blows. Pretty much sums up the whole state, but hey, that's just my opinion because there's plenty of boring people that love a boring state apparently.
Youre Texan pizza blows as much as your diatribe.

My part of Ct is far from boring. Guess it depends who and what you surround yourself with.

Old 08-04-2013, 03:37 PM

83 posts, read 217,132 times
Texas pizza sucks for the most part, never said it was perfect here! I'm from the arm pit of CT aka New Milford and no, jp, I would NEVER move back. I grew to hate my town and much of the northeast over my 26 years living there. Some people love where they grew up, others like me want to get as far away from it as possible!

It's not 100 degrees every day, nor is it 50 degrees at night during the summer, having to put a sweatshirt on at night in July is an absurd thought. I love going to work in January in shorts and a t shirt while y'all are up there shoveling 3 feet of snow out of the driveway, that is one thing I will NEVER do again.

Old 08-04-2013, 04:12 PM

680 posts, read 1,575,714 times
Quote:
Texas pizza sucks for the most part, never said it was perfect here! I'm from the arm pit of CT aka New Milford and no, jp, I would NEVER move back. I grew to hate my town and much of the northeast over my 26 years living there. Some people love where they grew up, others like me want to get as far away from it as possible!

It's not 100 degrees every day, nor is it 50 degrees at night during the summer, having to put a sweatshirt on at night in July is an absurd thought. I love going to work in January in shorts and a t shirt while y'all are up there shoveling 3 feet of snow out of the driveway, that is one thing I will NEVER do again.
Texas? where is that? some part of Mexico?

Old 08-04-2013, 04:24 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,158,193 times
Quote:

I for one would rather shovel snow over 100 any day. ... Each his own glad yer happy.

Old 08-04-2013, 04:44 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,134,556 times
Shorts at work... One of the best things about Austin was the casual vibe. I rarely wore anything other than shorts in the summer and jeans in the winter-- in a professional job.

I've brought that sensibility here to my company. Employees are able to dress as they please and I wear shorts, jeans, etc. all the time. When I have to go see others, however, they're almost never casual so I do put on a suit much more than I'd like.

I'm not moving back to Austin any time soon (pronounced EVER), however, the casual attitude is missed.

I was in Vegas this past weekend. It was 108 (Dry heat, my ass). That inferno reminded me of one of the many reasons I left Austin.

Old 08-04-2013, 05:55 PM

284 posts, read 534,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
That inferno reminded me of one of the many reasons I left Austin.
Just curious - what are the other many reasons?

Old 08-04-2013, 06:55 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,134,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elinyc View Post
Just curious - what are the other many reasons?
Mostly have to do with the fact that Connecticut is home and that, after 15 years, the Texas culture never quite "took."

I had come to a point in my career in which I could make a permanent move back home, so I did it. Don't get me wrong-- Austin is great. I still go back to visit, but, overall I find for the things I like to do the QOL is better here. For example, I have 8 options for major/minor league baseball here within 2 hours of my house.... In Texas: one. I can be in NYC in an hour and in Boston just over two. In Austin, Houston (bleh) was a three and a half hour drive...

I love the beach, coastal fishing, and good seafood.

For me, this is a better fit.

I could live in a much bigger / newer house/condo in Austin... Could drive a more expensive car... But in the end, my happiness is generated by other things and those things are here.

Old 08-04-2013, 07:04 PM

21,738 posts, read 28,070,632 times
Quote:

I grew up near New Milford and also grew to hate it. Moving to the coast literally saved CT for me. I really like it here, SO much better than where I grew up. I know some people love it up there but I find it extremely dull.

Old 08-04-2013, 11:10 PM

83 posts, read 217,132 times
Indeed! I do miss NYC with a passion though, I might as well have been a New Yorker, my father's whole side of the family lived in Brooklyn and when I yell my NY accent comes out and people here look at me like I have three heads lmao! I really miss going to a dozen or so Yankees games a year, but MLB.tv helps and I'm going to say farewell to Mo in Houston soon.

I've come to realize some people are built for heat and some people are not. Vice versa for cold too and being someone that chose his career to be a dominantly outside one, a much milder climate than Northwest CT was in order. Sure, summer is hot, but the lower humidity here makes up for some of it and I've adapted fairly well and the non summer months are amazing. Now I'm one of those people that puts on a sweatshirt when it's 59 degrees and below, something I didn't do in CT because that's an average summer night up there lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut