Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2013, 12:08 PM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadhi01 View Post
I am not coming down hard on CT. Just trying to understand what the differences are. I never lived in east coast and yes the natural environment there is very different from west or south. The thing I didn't like in CT is the very low density spread out towns that have too many trees, utter lack of city vibe and lack of big city amenities like airport.
You really did not see much of Connecticut, so your impression is way off. We are one of the most densely populated states in the country but fortunately it does not feel like that. We have small cities surrounded by fiercely independent suburbs that make up our metropolitan areas and in between are basically less developed towns. We do not have the vast areas of sprawl that other states do. We protect our character which most people love. And we do have major city amenties but basically without the hassles of a big city. Bradley International Airport is wonderful and easy to use. New York's airports are as close as an hour one way and Boston's as close as an hour the other. Heck I would bet that is as close as you will find in San Francisco. What more can you want? Jay

Old 08-09-2013, 07:39 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,260,506 times
Quote:
Why does everyone say CT is expensive? I live in San Francisco and compared to bay area even the expensive towns of CT seems affordable! The state taxes are also a lot lower compared to CA. Or are the property taxes sky high?

I visited CT once and the whole place seems like low density semi rural area but without farms. The towns look very boring and isolated. Compared to densely populated urban areas of CA, most of CT looks kind of creepy. I also noticed it's very homogenous population and I assume not cosmopolitan at all. I had the worst chinese food of my life there. You can't pay someone in CA to cook so bad-
Well let's be fair. Does any place really have Chinese food comparable to San Francisco? It's like me complaining that Red Lobster in San Antonio doesn't doesn't have the clam chowder I used to get on the Cape.

Old 08-09-2013, 08:04 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,013,345 times
Quote:
I had the worst chinese food of my life there. You can't pay someone in CA to cook so bad-
Why were you eating Chinese food on a visit to Connecticut?

That is like visiting New Orleans and only eating at McDonald's.

Old 08-09-2013, 08:15 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Quote:
Why does everyone say CT is expensive? I live in San Francisco and compared to bay area even the expensive towns of CT seems affordable! The state taxes are also a lot lower compared to CA. Or are the property taxes sky high?

I visited CT once and the whole place seems like low density semi rural area but without farms. The towns look very boring and isolated. Compared to densely populated urban areas of CA, most of CT looks kind of creepy. I also noticed it's very homogenous population and I assume not cosmopolitan at all. I had the worst chinese food of my life there. You can't pay someone in CA to cook so bad-
Quote:
Well unfortunately real estate prices in desirable bay area towns are well north of million if not in multi million. Not sure if you have paid attention to insane real estate boom in bay area for last couple of years. I just looked into housing prices in New haven area and it's dirt cheap by CA standards.

I almost decided to move to CT in the Ridgefield area but was really turned off by the rural environment and lack of diversity. Of course, I am sure this cannot be generalized to the entire state. But in general it seems everyone there lives out in the woods, with trees all around and huge land aroud their house. I did not see any walkable area at all! This is so different from CA that it almost seems creepy!
I just looked at housing prices in the Sacramento area and they're dirt cheap by CT standards. Also Fresno. Damn. Cheap. Also pretty trashy.

See where I'm going with this?

You're comparing a very expensive city (SF) to an entire suburban state (which is home to many of the wealthiest towns in the USA). SF is up there with Manhattan, and your suburbs are no more expensive than those in southern CT. Get off your high horse. Oh, by the way, as of this year, southwestern CT had the highest income of any metro area in the nation. http://www.census.gov/newsroom/relea...s/cb13-27.html

I almost moved to the east bay a little over a year ago and was completely turned off by the poor quality of the public schools. Yeah, your property taxes there are dirt cheap, even on a 700k home, but that is for a reason. Parents buying supplies for the districts, students learning (or trying to) with large class sizes, physical condition of buildings subpar at best.

I used to be a huge critic of CT but after living elsewhere (LA area, Charlotte NC), I wouldn't live anywhere else. There is a reason CT ranks number 1 in Human Development. Best state: Connecticut? Measure of America suggests state is best place to live.
One of the lowest metros in terms of Human Development is in your beloved "CA" with your "CA standards". LOL.

Old 08-09-2013, 08:39 PM

71 posts, read 162,131 times
Moved here 1 month and 1 day ago and I've been rear ended twice (in a new car!) Both times it was not my fault. People can't drive for ***** up here. I've been driving for 21 years and have never been in an accident until this summer.

Other than that we are enjoying CT. Yes it's expensive but you get what you pay for. The proximity to NYC, cultural events, nature, great restaurants are a stones throw away. Looking forward to fall and dare I say winter in New England!

Old 08-09-2013, 09:46 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,519,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I just looked at housing prices in the Sacramento area and they're dirt cheap by CT standards. Also Fresno. Damn. Cheap. Also pretty trashy.

See where I'm going with this?

You're comparing a very expensive city (SF) to an entire suburban state (which is home to many of the wealthiest towns in the USA). SF is up there with Manhattan, and your suburbs are no more expensive than those in southern CT. Get off your high horse. Oh, by the way, as of this year, southwestern CT had the highest income of any metro area in the nation. Metro Area Near New York City Has Highest Concentration of High-Income Households, Census Bureau Reports - American Community Survey (ACS) - Newsroom - U.S. Census Bureau

I almost moved to the east bay a little over a year ago and was completely turned off by the poor quality of the public schools. Yeah, your property taxes there are dirt cheap, even on a 700k home, but that is for a reason. Parents buying supplies for the districts, students learning (or trying to) with large class sizes, physical condition of buildings subpar at best.

I used to be a huge critic of CT but after living elsewhere (LA area, Charlotte NC), I wouldn't live anywhere else. There is a reason CT ranks number 1 in Human Development. Best state: Connecticut? Measure of America suggests state is best place to live.
One of the lowest metros in terms of Human Development is in your beloved "CA" with your "CA standards". LOL.
I am well aware of the negatives of CA and generally a big critique. Also agree with the high income in CT becuase I had a job offer there which paid significantly more than what I make here. I was actually surprised to see how high the salaries are in CT in general. I did not move mainly because of the rural/car dependent feel and lack of cosmopolitan environment.

Old 08-10-2013, 12:01 AM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
You wait 15 days before telling us we we aren't answering your question to your satisfaction, when your question was simply "why do people dislike Connecticut so much"? You should have been more specific. You can't blame us 22 pages later for not reading your mind. And you yourself brought up a southern state, specifically Oklahoma.

Exactly.

Old 08-10-2013, 12:12 AM

4,319 posts, read 4,207,988 times
Quote:
I am well aware of the negatives of CA and generally a big critique. Also agree with the high income in CT becuase I had a job offer there which paid significantly more than what I make here. I was actually surprised to see how high the salaries are in CT in general. I did not move mainly because of the rural/car dependent feel and lack of cosmopolitan environment.
Blaming a lawnmower why he can't run the Indy 500 is nonsensical. I would like to hear also your definition of "cosmopolitan environment."

Old 08-10-2013, 01:19 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,013,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
I would like to hear also your definition of "cosmopolitan environment."
Considering how critical he is of San Francisco, Harrier is almost afraid to find out.

Old 08-10-2013, 07:36 AM

3 posts, read 4,183 times
Default 'I've got no problems with trees either

Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
What do you have against trees?! They are natural and give us oxygen. Better than concrete.

We have a number of airports in Ct. Not the size you'd find in many other states, but you must realize we are a small state. It only takes a few hours to drive from one end of the state to the other. Plus we have Boston and NYC nearby.
See lots of people cutting down large trees in their front yards lately though. Takes away the shady areas on a hot summer day on the sidewalks. Not fun.
Surprised we are having such cooler weather for August though after the hottest July in 100 years!
What does low density town mean anyway?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut